Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-13-2023, 11:39 AM
Free Member

I might be able to get my hands on an AVT-1660. Does anyone have any experience about this product?

The AVT-1660 is used to convert signal between PAL - NTSC - SECAM... so its a video converter. AVT-1660 is supposed to have TBC functionality build into it. As the AVT-1660 is able to convert from a signal to another, I was thinking using it to convert from PAL to PAL being able to use the TBC functionality, if that is even possible.

Or like many other products is this one trash?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-13-2023, 12:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timppa95 View Post
I might be able to get my hands on an AVT-1660. Does anyone have any experience about this product?
The AVT-1660 is used to convert signal between PAL - NTSC - SECAM... so its a video converter. AVT-1660 is supposed to have TBC functionality build into it. As the AVT-1660 is able to convert from a signal to another, I was thinking using it to convert from PAL to PAL being able to use the TBC functionality, if that is even possible.

Or like many other products is this one trash?
No.

The 1660 uses EOL "black" era Cypress chips (black AVT-8710, etc).

Some Cypress converters are also not what you think. Most have cyclical errors in NTSC modes, and on some (where TBC actually present) it's only active on PAL<>NTSC, not "passthrough" PAL>PAL or NTSC>NTSC.

When converters do suffice, there are often quality drawbacks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: timppa95 (05-13-2023)