Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-22-2023, 08:58 PM
Free Member

I'm not an expert on VCR stuff, so, sorry if I say something dumb.
I was watching some movies on a newly bought NV-FS88, but couldn't not notice that there was excessive graininess on movie tapes; and blue streaks on black parts of the image. I tried manual tracking, and the noise lowered a little bit, but when I used a much cheaper mono vcr, it's quality seemed much better (using the same wires). There was only tape grain, with none of the same blue streaks all over.

But the most interesting is that when I tried self recorded mono tapes - TV recordings and VHSC to VHS transfers on the FS88, they only had tape grain, without any of the blue streaking, even when paused, the image wasn't snowy whatsoever.

(With tape grain I mean the grain from the original footage which isn't moving when paused.)

Could it be because the movies have Hi-Fi audio and it's interfering with the image somehow?

I attached a sample with a movie on pause mode. You can see the excessive graininess which looks the same in play mode.
The recording is off of the CRT screen, sorry about that. I can capture if there's a need.

============

There is another problem which I found out about when I previously had a NV-HS1000. It's colors seemed really desaturated and shifted. So I returned it because no button could fix it, and found this cheaper unit which I'm testing. I noticed that it also had a bit of a desaturated look. But when I put the Noise Filter to EDIT, the colors got fixed. At around 0:04 seconds in the sample video, until the end, I switched from EDIT to on/off. Though it's more noticeable on capture than in this sample.

Is this all normal or could the capacitors be going bad?
The only problem with EDIT is that it's stuck at 50% sharpness, but I'd take that any day instead of ugly colors.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 0001.mp4 (33.27 MB, 13 downloads)

Last edited by IfyL; 07-22-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-23-2023, 06:59 AM
Free Member

idk what could be the issue with the fs88 but I've had the same symptom as you on the NV-HS1000. I seem to remember others on the forum posting about it too. I suspect it's something to do with the chroma noise reduction/comb filtering circuitry but hard to say. Sharpness/picture control, and noise reduction is reduced or not active when it's set to EDIT so you get mostly raw output instead.

I swapped most caps on it other than the smd ones on the y and c hybrid ICs but id didn't help. It might be related to the surface mount capacitors on the hybrid ICs which there are a few of but those would be a massive pain in the ass to replace since you need to desolder the hybrid ICs that have like 40 legs and the chroma one is also coated.

There are also some trimpots for the chroma NR which may or may not have an impact if they are off but it's impossible to adjust them to spec easily when playing back the tape without the unobtainium extension cables for the boards that were meant to be used when servicing these VCRs.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU