Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Free Member

Hi All,

Setting up another capture station here.

Does anyone happen to know if the Panasonic DMR-ES25 has just as good ability to combat Flagging / Tearing on pass-thru video as does the ES10 or ES15?

While looking for an ES10/15 on that List from Mister Craig, I just saw a local DMR-ES25S for what seemed a reasonable amount of money.

I have downloaded and read the users manual ( Link ) While it show that pass-thru can be connected, it doesn't say anything about the wonderous anti-flagging filter.

In a thread that was "more than 269 days old" that didn't want new posts ( Link ) the ES25 is mentioned in passing, as having the ES10-like video passthru, but being from Missouri, I'd like someone to show me for sure. OK, I'm not from Missouri, but I'd still like assurance!

Planned workflow is:

JVC SR-V10U ->Panasonic DMR ES10 (25?)->Hotronic AP41 -> [Behringer Xenyx 802 for audio]->ATI AIW (thanks, KP!)

Ten minute drive to get there, no sales tax, the money back guarantee consisting of me knowing where the people's house is and me having a carton of fresh eggs.

Seems like a good deal, but I'd like to hear an expert tell me to ease my mind about the video !

Thanks
Joekster
p.s. Have searched the forum ( Link ) and read completely all three threads found.

Last edited by Joekster; 05-18-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: to fix a parenthesis error! program wouldn't compile
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
No. I'm having to go from memory, as it's been about 6 years since these DVD recorders were new, and I was busy reviewing their abilities. From what I recall, the ES10 and ES15 had the "virtual TBC" (or whatever Panasonic used to call it). But on the ES15, it was only on one input -- either front or back, and not both like the ES10. So it has the filter that will remove tearing, but it's not "the same" as the ES10 in how the model was designed. Whether this was intentional or by accident, we may never know.

The ES20 and ES25, did not, to my recollection, have this ability. It's just been too long. Let's just say I wouldn't swear on a stack of Bibles, or bet any large sums of money on it.

Good workflow is always this:
1. VCR >
2. something to stabilize video signal (TBC, frame sync, etc) >
3. something to alter video quality of color, sharpness; alter audio quality >
4. digital conversion device.

This is your ideal chain, given the hardware in use:
VIDEO: JVC SR-V10U > Panasonic DMR ES10 (or ES25) > Hotronic AP41 > ATI AIW
AUDIO: JVC SR-V10U > Behringer Xenyx 802 for audio > ATI AIW

Correct, the ES10 needs to come before the AP41.
The other way around would nullify the ability of the ES10 -- it would do nothing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
es10 es25