Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Free Member

How do I use a proc amp to color correct certain scenes/objects on a videotape while transferring it to digital? Is this possible? To what extent? My specific situation is that overhead shots from a different camera on my wedding video had the bridesmaids dresses a greenish color when they should be a "pinkish" sherbert color like in the rest of the ground shots. Can I fix this?

...also, I noticed that there are only video connections on the SignVideo amp - how do I keep the audio in the transfer? Sorry if this is mundane, but I've never used one before.

Thank you, in advance.

This question has been split from another post or thread. This was done in order to address the topic more in depth, make it easier to find via forum searches, as well as prevent the other post/thread from going too far off-topic. Please continue this part of the conversation here. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpe94 View Post
How do I use a proc amp to color correct certain scenes/objects on a videotape while transferring it to digital? Is this possible? To what extent? My specific situation is that overhead shots from a different camera on my wedding video had the bridesmaids dresses a greenish color when they should be a "pinkish" sherbert color like in the rest of the ground shots. Can I fix this?
Yes, possibly. With a proc-amp like the SignVideo PA-100/Vidicraft gear, you can shift the hue along the RGB color space, basically between a deep purple and a yellowy-green. The Elite BVP-4 can get you farther towards the extremes if you need it, which is often the case with video where the color is extremely off. They both do a good job of making sure white objects remain white and black objects remain black with very little contamination from the hue adjustment.

Are you using DVD recorder? If you're planning to correct it with the proc-amp, the easiest way to do it is probably on a by-segment basis in your case -- set the dials to what looks right, write those settings down, record that segment until there is a cut. Repeat the process for each segment. Then you can then edit them together seamlessly on a computer in a NLE.

Quote:
...also, I noticed that there are only video connections on the SignVideo amp - how do I keep the audio in the transfer? Sorry if this is mundane, but I've never used one before.

Thank you, in advance.
Don't worry about the audio, just run it through to the DVD recorder / computer directly. It does not need to be passed through the proc amp or any other devices as long as you chain isn't long enough to cause an audio delay (and even if it is, that also is easily corrected on the computer as long as the delay is constant).
The following users thank robjv1 for this useful post: kpmedia (02-11-2012)
02-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Some people like it. Personally, I don't care. I use my eyes and look at the TV and/or computer monitors -- not a meter. Meters are blind, whereas I am not.
#source.

This is why I love this guys, funny and true
The following users thank Mejnour for this useful post: kpmedia (02-11-2012)
02-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Free Member

I will vouch a little bit for the light meter -- if you don't have a calibrated monitor, it is possible with some adjusting of the gain knob to push the signal into the point where you are blowing out the whites and losing detail in that range (or vice versa on the dark end, although that's much harder to do) but not really be able to see that on your monitor. The light meter is more or less a way to stay inside the safe range with regards to other sets and monitors, but it doesn't serve any purpose for adjusting the color. However, with experience, you can do it by eye just as well, but it makes a nice backup system.
The following users thank robjv1 for this useful post: kpmedia (02-11-2012)
02-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Free Member

I was thinking of put the proc amp between the VCR and the Computer - and capturing the corrected video that way. Is this how it works, the VCR passes the video through the Proc Amp to the computer? That is why I was asking how the audio would be fed to the computer if the proc amp doesn't have any audio connections. Please advise.

Thank you, again for you response.
02-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I was thinking of put the proc amp between the VCR and the Computer - and capturing the corrected video that way. Is this how it works, the VCR passes the video through the Proc Amp to the computer? That is why I was asking how the audio would be fed to the computer if the proc amp doesn't have any audio connections. Please advise.

Thank you, again for you response.
If you have a ATI AIW card, you have a input for the audio and must be linked to your sound card

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ti-wonder.html

But it really depend of the card that you will use...otherwise wait for the pros suggestions
The following users thank Mejnour for this useful post: kpmedia (02-11-2012)
02-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Free Member

I believe I have an nVidia card. My Dell PC came with an adapter for hooking up analog components to the PC (i.e. VCR's, etc.).

The other thing is since I'm only adjusting the overhead shots - do I have to switch between the adjusted settings and the normal settings while the video is transferring to my computer. This sounds tricky to do while the video is playing.
02-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
You'll find it easiest to simply set the proc amp to each camera, and capture the whole tape. If there are 4 cameras, then you'll set a proc amp 4 times, and capture 4 times. This way you'll have the proper levels at all times, though not all int he same file. Then import all 4 videos into a video editor, and splice it all up.

I know there's a post here on the forum that shows a project we did last year. There were 4-5 cameras at a baseball game. The tape was captured multiple times, and then reassembled in Adobe Premiere. You can see an image of the timeline in Premiere in the post.

It's not much fun, but it's the easiest method, and most accurate.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Free Member

I could do that - but wouldn't aligning the audio to the movement of people's mouths when they are speaking be close to impossible? And the overhead shots fade into the ground shots back and forth. Would this really be possible to keep intact?

By the way, is this one any good?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AV-Toolbox-T...item35b93fc259
02-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
I could do that - but wouldn't aligning the audio
You shouldn't have to realign audio. Each capture would have audio left intact. For the sake of audio continuity, I'd maintain a single track from a single capture, however. Frame accurate editing would not skew audio. That would only happen if you make a mistake, and trim/merge improperly. Audio and video can be editing together or separate in most editors.

That means you must use a quality editor. Adobe Premiere or Womble MPEG Video Wizard, for example.

I would NOT buy the AVT-8710 from eBay when it has "No returns or exchanges". You want a unit that is guaranteed to be flawless, and backed by a return policy right now. Be sure to read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-8710-doa.html

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Free Member

What about this one? Is it a good deal for the price? I've sent an email to the seller to see if he at least guarantees that it works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=300662158762
02-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Yep. $150 + shipping is an excellent price for that most excellent proc amp.

These were at least $700+ new, and I remember paying about $400 back in 2004-2005.
The pricing skimmed under $200-250 in the last 1-2 years, mostly due to an unusual amount of supply. (Original owners selling?)

02-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Free Member

The seller states the unit works fine - he just doesn't use it because he's gone completely digital. However, he mentioned that the uinit doesn't give complete color balance control. I'm hoping it will at least let me turn "greenish" dresses to the correct "pinkish" colors.

Also, I'm not sure if the "hub" I have to connect analog devices to my video capture card on my PC has S-video connectors. I wonder if I could use an S-video to USB converter for this, and not even use the hub? Is there a difference in quality? I have an ATI Radeon 9800 with 128mb. Can't tell if it's a PRO series or not (on a Dell Dimension Desktop).
02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
I wonder if I could use an S-video to USB converter for this, and not even use the hub?
Hub?
S-video to USB doesn't sound good already. Please explain what brand/model this "hub" is.

Quote:
ATI Radeon 9800
ATI 9800 Graphics cards -- or ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 graphics + video capture?
There's a huge difference. One can capture video, one cannot.

02-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Free Member

The video card definitely captures video - I've hooked up my MiniDV camcorder to it before, and uploaded video from it.

It's an ATI Radeon 9800 that came with my Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop.

The hub was provided with Dell (I'm assuming it's a Dell accessory - but not sure). It basically lets you hook up analog to your computer to convert to digital. I don't have it accessible right now, so I can't check - but memory serves me to remember that it only had composite inputs.

Someone on one of the forums here recommended an S-video to USB converter that let you hook up an HDTV antenna or video source to your computer, and said it was pretty good for video capture. It's ATI...see below.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Digital...=3T4ALV8EAJ35K
02-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Free Member

Similar to AVT-8710
02-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

@Mejnour

Although the AVT-8710 and 1T-TBC historically are very similar, both being products of Cypress (and private labeled by companies such as AVToolbox and TVOne), there's been no reports of faulty 1T-TBC units thus far.

It's because of
(1) there's really nothing wrong with them,
(2) these units are not popular enough to have attracted attention at being faulty yet, or
(3) the people using them just don't know any better --- and I feel bad for all the unsuspecting AVT-8710 buyers out there.

It's one of those reasons. No idea which it might be!

I would buy it, if it has a return policy.

@rpe94

If the "hub" or "accessory" you're referring to is a long purple wire with a box on the end, or medium length black with a domino on the end, then that's the standard ATI All In Wonder Radeon breakout box/connector. Sometimes also called a dongle. It should have both composite and s-video input, as well as audio connectors for RCA stereo audio (which pass through to the audio card).

The other "USB hub" you're referring to is the ATI 600 USB2 card -- excellent card, too.

Both of those items are well-documented on this forum. Definitely take advantage of the forum search to find that info.

Sometimes when it comes to tech, not using the exact brand/model information or jargon word makes it difficult to understand what specifically is being referred to. It reminds me of the forum user JMP, to whom I know in the offline world, who has a penchant for calling everything a "thingy". I'm forever having to ask him to define what a "thingy" is. (Sometimes I purposely call him up and start saying random BS. "I need help with my doodad widget. It's not going into the thingy." Those are fun conversations.)

02-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Free Member

It's actually this triangular port with inputs on one side, outputs on the other.

So the ATI adaper I posted is actually a card? Would this override the built-in card on my system, if I were to use it.

Because if the port I mention above doesn't have a S-Video input and output, I would definitely want to use something that does, since it provides better quality transfers.

Thank you for all your help.

Ray
Boston, MA
02-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
@Mejnour

Although the AVT-8710 and 1T-TBC historically are very similar, both being products of Cypress (and private labeled by companies such as AVToolbox and TVOne), there's been no reports of faulty 1T-TBC units thus far.

It's because of
(1) there's really nothing wrong with them,
(2) these units are not popular enough to have attracted attention at being faulty yet, or
(3) the people using them just don't know any better --- and I feel bad for all the unsuspecting AVT-8710 buyers out there.

It's one of those reasons. No idea which it might be!

I would buy it, if it has a return policy.
Good analysis,

This is why sometime someone have to "take risk" try others products
02-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
It's actually this triangular port with inputs on one side, outputs on the other.
I don't think you have an ATI All In Wonder card in the computer.
It sounds like a normal/plain ATI graphics card -- and then you have some other cheap Dell video capture card inside, too.

It would be easy to figure out what it is.
Right-click My Computer, go to Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. Expand the Sound, Video and Game Controllers. See what's listed.
These instructions will vary a bit, between XP Home and XP Pro, as well as

Quote:
So the ATI adaper I posted is actually a card? Would this override the built-in card on my system, if I were to use it.
Yes and Yes.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.