Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

Was wondering if you know anything about this deck. http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/p...&feature_id=08

#1 would it play LP or SLP tapes

#2 would the Time Base Corrector / Frame Drop out Comp work on a passthrough

#3 These players were used as edit / copy machines, if you copied your crapy SLP recording to the machine, would it look better or worse than the source. How good do these copy machines make copies of VHS tapes.

Last question, this picture tearing is out of control on these old VHS tapes, searched for years for answers. It is not the same tearing that the ES10 clears up. It is damage to the video aka picture rips.

#1 Do u know anyone who could bake VHS tapes
#2 Would removing moisture from the tape it self help.
aka put the tape in a bag of rice for like a week..

#3 Tapecheck 460
Would this machine fix some of the tape rips....

Sometimes re-recording the segment, on take #2 or #3 the rips are gone. The rips are not always grained in to the video, sometimes it is.....

It is a nightmare.....

Have a tape that I converted to DVD like 5 years ago, using basic hardware. Now watching that recording the tape on DVD basically has like no rips or tears. If I took the tape today and played it on a VCR (a PANA or JVC deck) the tape rips aka picture tearing all over the place in spots.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

This model is new to me.

Here's a copy/paste of the JVC text from the above link:
Quote:
JVC PRESENTS ITS NEW 22DX SERIES

AN UPGRADE OF ITS POPULAR 22 SERIES Add-On Features Now Standard

LAS VEGAS (NAB, April 10 - 13, 1995) -- JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY strengthens its commitment to S-VHS with the introduction of the 22- DX Series, a new, top-of-the-line S-VHS series. Standard features such as a Time Base Corrector (TBC), VITC/LTC Time Code Generator/Reader and Hadamard Digital Noise Reduction circuitry bring high-quality, professional-standard video editing within everyone's reach.

The new 22-DX Series consists of the BR-S822DXU Editing Recorder, BR-S622DXU Feeder/Recorder, BR-S525DXU Variable-Tracking Feeder/Player, and BR-S522DXU Feeder/Player. All of the units now come in a handsome, sophisticated-looking titanium grey finish. While Professional S-VHS's affordability and versatility make it suitable for a wide range of applications, the new 22-DX Series was designed to meet the most rigorous standards of all -- television broadcasting.

The elimination of time base errors is essential in the production of broadcast-standard pictures, especially when it is necessary to transfer S-VHS material to a component video format. The built-in Digital TBC (an option on the BR-S822DXU) features a full-field memory and bi-directional correction to ensure a highly stable, jitter-free playback at all times. An advanced phase stabilizing circuit with double-loop decoder significantly improves the chroma signal's hue stability and eliminates potential time base problems arising from the changes in tape dimensions.

JVC's advanced Hadamard Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) is used to further improve picture quality. Advanced DNR uses horizontal vector motion detection and compensation circuitry, resulting in extremely high quality images even after multiple generations of dubbing. The built-in DNR (optionally available in the BR-S822DXU) processes the digitized signals in the TBC to boost the signal-to-noise ratio and minimize after-images, a common problem with most digital noise reducers. To ensure the absolute precision and accuracy needed to produce high-quality professional edits, all 22-DX models feature a built-in timecode generator/reader which enables generation, recording (BR-S822DXU/BR-S622DXU only), and reading of SMPTE- standard LTC and VITC time codes. Search/jog dials are provided for fast and accurate location of edit points with a maximum visual search speed of 32 times normal.

The BR-S822DXU's on-screen display tracks all edit data and convenient functions such as preview, review, and edit point entry enable high-performance editing even without a controller. All 22-DX decks are easily interfaced with other editing equipment through their built-in 9 pin RS-422A serial remote interface. A built-in TBC with component outputs allows a direct feed to Betacam SP* and MII. Expansion boards are available as options for 45-pin or 33-pin control compatibility. JVC's 22-Series was the first professional S-VHS editing line equipped with a dual-loading mechanism to accept both full- size and compact-size (S-VHS-C) cassettes directly, and this feature has been carried over into the 22-DX series. This enables direct editing from the original tape by eliminating the need to transfer materials. It also features a built-in, 2-machine editing controller. A full featured editing system can be configured by connecting a source VCR, such as JVC's BR-S622DXU, to the 9 pin serial connector on the BR-S822DXU.

Other benefits include eight- digit time counter and lap timer, external sync input for reference video, tiltable control panel, two level meters switchable between Hi-Fi and normal audio with independent level controls, and a luminance frequency response control.

The BR-S622DXU shares many of the features of the BR-S822DXU. However, it was designed primarily to serve as an edit feeder and does not incorporate the editing functions of the BR-S822DXU. The BR-S525DXU is an upgraded version of the BR-S525U, the first and only dynamic tracking S-VHS feeder/player. It affords high quality jitter-free slow motion down to -2X, and equally impressive high-speed motion up to 3X. Thanks to JVC's revolutionary Variable Tracking heads, picture quality in variable speed playback is indistinguishable from that available in normal playback.

JVC designed the BR-S522DXU specifically for use with the BR- S822DXU Editing Recorder in a high-performance S-VHS editing suite. The BR-S522DXU is a playback-only unit that provides maximum cost- effectiveness without sacrificing the high picture quality and high- performance edit feeding capabilities.

"JVC's previous 22 Series became a popular alternative to the aging 3/4-inch format because of its high picture quality, flexibility and open architecture, excellent portability and low operating cost," notes David Walton, JVC's communications marketing manager. "The new 22-DX Series will carry on that tradition with increased performance and economy, providing all the tools necessary to edit broadcast-quality video at an affordable price."

JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY, based in Wayne, N.J., distributes a complete line of broadcast and professional equipment including cameras, recorders, and editing products. For more information about the BR-S822DXU, BR-S622DXU, BR-S525DXU or BR- S522DXU, contact David Walton at 1-800-JVC-5825.

# # #

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
05-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Free Member

I realize this post is several months old, but seeing as I have this particular unit(BR-S525DXU), along with there being so little info about it out there, I thought I would add this.

I haven't had it for long, actually borrowing it from a friend who bought it new in the '90s (for around $4-5k) and used it for editing along with another JVC unit (not sure of model). It's certainly not a consumer unit, it's massive(at least compared to consumer decks), larger than a desktop PC. I believe it does play back VHS-C tapes without an adapter, though I don't have any to test with. There is no record functionality, it's playback only. It will only playback SP tapes, and I was informed of this prior to using it. If you try to play a non-SP tape, it simply plays back fast(with poor quality) and no audio. Need to use it more to give an opinion of quality, though I don't have much to compare it to. I'll also be borrowing a Panasonic 1980 from this same friend in the near future(he also has some tapes to copy), so I can probably offer at least some type of comparison then. It has many video outputs, though they're BNC, so keep that in mind. I also have an S-Video cable for it, though I'm not sure what the actual connector on the deck is. There are adjustments for the TBC and DNR as well.

Last edited by fullspectrum; 05-05-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: 525 not 522
The following users thank fullspectrum for this useful post: kpmedia (05-08-2012), Tig_ (08-23-2019)
05-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspectrum View Post
I realize this post is several months old, but seeing as I have this particular unit(BR-S525DXU), along with there being so little info about it out there, I thought I would add this..
This is a great example of when it's okay to bump an old post.
Thanks very much for taking the time to add your experiences with this unit. It is appreciated.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.