10-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Free Member

I have a video that is roughly 700-800MB in size that I downloaded from the internet. It plays fine on my laptop in a small window but when I enlarge it to fullscreen or even worse, play it back on the television, there are major issues with pixellation. I was wondering if there were anything that could be done in a program like avisynth to remove some of the "blockiness" and soften some of the noise in the background? I have run two filters (a deblock and a resize to 4:3) but nothing has really made a significant impact on the quality. It may not be possible to do anything given the file size but I didn't think it would hurt to ask.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchantord View Post
I have a video that is roughly 700-800MB in size that I downloaded from the internet. It plays fine on my laptop in a small window but when I enlarge it to fullscreen or even worse, play it back on the television, there are major issues with pixellation. I was wondering if there were anything that could be done in a program like avisynth to remove some of the "blockiness" and soften some of the noise in the background? I have run two filters (a deblock and a resize to 4:3) but nothing has really made a significant impact on the quality. It may not be possible to do anything given the file size but I didn't think it would hurt to ask.
Somebody asked me this several days ago. I downloaded it, and created an output sample, but haven't had time to answer the post or post a min-guide for it. It uses Avisynth + VirtualDub.

But I'm getting there, for those who are patient.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Free Member

Thanks for responding blue one ! :-)

A similar request you say? Then it's good to know that I am not the only one dealing with this issue! Please let me know in this thread when you post your mini-guide.
11-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Free Member

I just wanted to check in and see if you have had time to make any progress on that guide. Not being pushy or anything as I know you have had some health issues. I hope that you are still on the mend and improving daily!
11-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

We were looking at this today, in fact, as we're working on a Nov 15 to Jan 15 schedule for the site. We want to do a new guide this week (and an editorial) on some video topics. There's been too much non-video lately. This might be the one to do. An Avisynth guide will be multiple page long, but the planning for it can go into some posts to start.

Also, can you upload a sample clip for this? (Attach up to 32mb to the forum.)

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Free Member

In this case I don't know if I should because of the possibility of potential copyright issues.

I notice that lordsmurf says he created an output sample from a similar file, could you possibly use that in the composition of your guide?
11-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

There's no copyright concerns. It's fair-use exemption. We use short clips as examples for the purpose of education. It's not like we're uploading complete copyrighted works with intention to distribute. That's not what this site is for.

If you want help with your clip, post it.

Guides are made with whatever source look to be best for the example. Your may not even be used anyway.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-25-2013, 02:41 AM
Free Member

You can use the nedi3 filter in avisynth to get some of the best performing upsizing there is.

How it works is rather neat; basically he trained a "brain" on real video and it now recognizes how to fill in pixels. The only other approach that might work is super resolution from motion, there's a virtualdub plugin for that.
11-28-2013, 06:24 AM
Free Member

@kpmedia thanks for that bit about the fair use exemption. I shall file that away in my mental archives! Learn something new every day. However, with respect to this particular video there is a high resolution version of it available so I no longer have a need to upload a sample.

@jmac698 thanks for your useful post as well. There really needs to be a missing manual on Avisynth. It's incredible what can be done with that open source program and I wish I knew more about it.