08-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
I don't use game consoles. But for many years I read that the PS3 was supposed to be one of the best DVD players around, and since DVD's are interlaced, I'd say the interlaced version should play well. But can PS3 can handle 59.974 progressive ? ? ?

If all you're doing is making cuts for u tube, why go crazy with cross-platform conversions and back-and-forth? There are free AVI and a few free smart-rendering mp4 editors in Windows, or you can always just make a cut in VirtualDub and encode that for the web. If you want a title or something you can make it in FCP and import it into WIndows. I think you'll have fewer problems going fom Mac to Windows than from Windows to Mac, and many more choices in Windows (Handbrake, MeGUI, MultiAVCHD, AVs2DVD. HCenc and x264 encoders. etc., etc., etc., etc., ad nauseam). As a quickie choice you can always go back and forth with uncompressed YV12 AVI.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
a little app called avs2avi (google it)
Or just download it here...

Attached Files
File Type: zip AVS2AVI.zip (130.7 KB, 1 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

So the progressive version is working out great. But..the interlaced DVD script i run on the video isn't what i expected.

Now i'm not sure if this is due to the script or the quality of VHS tape in general. But it seemed too much interlaced?

I took a picture of the TV so the pictures aren't great but they show the jagged lines i'm talking about.

IMG_0042.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

I played the file on a PS3 using a media server.

09-17-2014, 12:23 PM

Yo guys, had some other questions that still go with this thread. didn't think it was necessary to start another.

Still wondering about the jagged lines from the previous post.

Also, Is there a difference between streaming a file from my computer to an apple TV, ps3, etc and burning the file to a DVD? --meaning would i use the same file for both streaming and burning to dvd?
09-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinheadlarry View Post
So the progressive version is working out great. But..the interlaced DVD script i run on the video isn't what i expected.

Now i'm not sure if this is due to the script or the quality of VHS tape in general. But it seemed too much interlaced?
Avoid pics from tv or displays. We can't tell which problems are the display's fault and which are in the original video.

The script deinterlaces. If the output is progressive, it's not interlaced. The occasional jaggies are in the original videos. You can't get rid of the effects of bad deinterlace and re-interlace processing without seriously degrading the soft images. There's just not that much detail to work with. Some scenes in the original videos were improperly deinterlaced to begin with.

Some of the scripts submitted earlier for specific shots used filters to undo some of those jaggies. The script you decided to use treats all shots with the same code whether they had jaggies or not, and didn't use anti-alias filters. You shouldn't use such filters on segments that don't have that problem.

Last edited by sanlyn; 09-17-2014 at 01:48 PM.
09-17-2014, 06:20 PM

I'm following the scripts posted from post #32.

The original video is night and day compared to the final output with those jagged lines.

also i'm still wondering about the file for streaming vs dvd
09-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

There are 3 scripts in post #32. The first one shown uses the same QTGMC that your friend declares as his "all-encompassing" VHS cleaner, plus a little something for extra cleaning and some help against the color banding that's in many of the shots, and it's the one-step kind of script you requested. Because it produces progressive video, there should be less aliasing in the output than in the original -- although, let's face it, some of those shots are really unusable, no matter what you do to them.

You have source tapes that were crudely assembled from a variety of other sources. There is no consistency of production values from scene to scene; literally, the video was just patched, never really processed. You have some shots that are already progressive, some that were cropped and resized while still interlaced, some that were telecined and incorrectly deinterlaced or field-blend deinterlaced. The all-in-one script which you requested can't solve all the problems in each shot, because no two shots have the same problems. One can't even find two consecutive shots that have similar levels or correct color balance. Some shots look like direct captures, others look like 2nd and 3rd generation tape dupes, some had crude denoisers applied while still interlaced, some were deinterlaced and alternate frames were discarded (and thus are progressive but play at half the original temporal resolution)....and on and on. So the first scripts you saw preceding post #32 were customized for each shot, then the shots had to be reassembled into the main video. As I expected, you disliked that idea -- no one would blame you for that, as it's a pain in the neck that most newcomers don't see coming until they eventually see why pros and advanced users work with individual segments that way, when needed.

If you still see aliasing in some shots after using QTGMC, then the defect existed in the original video. I just now looked at one shot in your VG13samp.mov sample posted July 20. The shot is interlaced (and has the wrong IRE, bad gamma levels, and invalid luma and chroma values), and displays some easily visible angular aliasing and strong interlace combing. After using SangNom on the interlaced original, most of the aliasing is gone. After QTGMC, the progressive version shows no aliasing. After some color work and a little denoise, it was reinterlaced and a small part of the aliasing returned -- indicating poor field or chroma alignment in the original, possibly from an inferior encoder or cheap capture card or incorrect colorspace conversion. After applying the santiag() light-duty plugin to the new reinterlace, all aliasing was gone.

Unfortunately one of the shots that precedes the one discussed above can't use those filters: the preceding shot is already progressive, with seriously bad line twitter due to a really no-good deinterlace method. Deinterlacing that shot makes it worse. One could minimize the problems by processing separately with QTGMC in progressive/repair mode and using upsample/downsample routines with specific resizing plugins to help heal the bad lines, all at the cost of some detail. Then that shot would have to be patched back into the others, after the others have had their own separate processing.

I'm pretty certain that you don't want to follow that route. If you still find your other party's one-shot cure-all script to produce satisfactory results, then rest assured that you're using the same basic filter and the same frame discarding method that he used to get progressive video. There is no anti-aliasing mentioned in the third party script you showed us. Either he's putting you on, or he's working with video sources that are quantum leaps cleaner than those you have at hand.
Quote:
also i'm still wondering about the file for streaming vs dvd
I guess it should be explained again.

The script with QTGMC posted as the top script in post #32 produces double-frame-rate, deinterlaced, progressive video. Save it in its own file. Call this step Script #1, and call the file Output #1.

The short script in the middle (Script #2) opens that Output #1 file, discards every Odd frame (just as you friend's script did, in exactly the same way), and produced a progressive original-frame-rate video suitable for web streaming. Some of the shots won't have such smooth movement, because you've discarded frames from shots that were already progressive before you used QTGMC, but you friend's videos will have the same problem. Call this file ouput #2.

Script #3 at the bottom of post #32 re-interlaces the Output #1 file from Script #1 and produces an original-frame-rate video for DVD. If you want to cheat a little, you can take the progressive video from the middle step (progressive Output #2), above, and use it for web streaming as described and, by telling a little white lie to your encoder, encode it as if it were interlaced. That's the way many of the shots in your video samples were encoded.

Do not run the #3 re-interlace script on Output #2 file. The #2 file cannot be reintelaced (and even if you did, the #2 file would run at 14.98 fps).
Quote:
The original video is night and day compared to the final output with those jagged lines.
if the original looks better, then forget the scripts and run it through whatever NLE you have available.

Last edited by sanlyn; 09-17-2014 at 11:00 PM.