09-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Free Member

Does anyone have experience with this? There were some minor errors I was thinking about correcting frame by frame. Is it suited for this type of work or does Photoshop video processing work differently?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-06-2014, 02:43 AM
Free Member

I've been there and shouldn't done that...
It eats all your time trust me and i worked on 5min videos max, spent literally days i recall

There are photoshop-like softwares suited for video but there are expensives
This one for example.
You can do pretty much all you want with that and if you preprocess your source with avisynth it's even better.
It works with images suites only and exports as .bmp or .tga (no avi or whatever) so you need some serious space.

Restoration companies work exactly with that kind of software
09-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
I think themaster1 is referring to denosiers,

Working images with Photoshop depends on what you want to do. It's impossible/impractical for interlaced or telecined videos, and if effects aren't exactly alike on every frame you end up with flickering crap. If you want to apply Photoshop-like effects such as blending but get advanced color grading and a lot more, try an older pre-subscription version of AfterEffects Pro. Otherwise you'll find that for noise reduction, repair, decompression/deinterlace/inverse-telecine/reinterlace, etc., etc., etc., etc., don't confuse "editors" with advanced processors like Avisynth.
09-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Free Member

PFClean was actually sort of what I was thinking about - specific details or defects like stripes or bubbles that need precise cleaning. AviSynth is certainly precise but I was thinking manual cleanup a la paint. That program looks great but not at $10k
09-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Free Member

I use Photoshop for video cleanup all the time. It's time consuming but works as you'd expect it would. Just make sure your color settings are correct to edit it back into the film -- do some test frames first.

Try to keep Photoshop work to a minimum, only working on specific frames that have issues that need to be painted out. (Splices in a workprint, for example, or major video dropouts.)

Last edited by Tygerbug; 09-07-2014 at 11:56 AM.
09-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Depends on what you want to fix. You might be selling Avisynth short. Below are examples of fixed problems:

Top border magenta or blue flashing across frames, plus bad magenta rainbows. A short video, about 650 frames, with over 200 frames having bad discolored flashing, many across consecutive frames:

3 consecutive frames with chroma loss and discoloration in U and V channels. Fixed quickly with Avisynth, was later tweaked a little more with Avisynth plugins for chroma bleed and shift:

bad horizontal scratch across frame. Fixed with ReplaceFramesMC plugin:

big red "splotch" in upper right corner, multiple frames:

I've fixed literally thousands of similar problems with Avisynth. But, yeah, sometimes you have to do it the hard way with other apps. Again, depends on what you want to fix.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample_00_01F_2BX_original.jpg (46.4 KB, 38 downloads)
File Type: jpg sample_00_01F_2BX_fixed.jpg (36.0 KB, 38 downloads)
File Type: jpg frames 521-522-523 original.jpg (38.7 KB, 38 downloads)
File Type: jpg frames 521-522-523 after.jpg (38.9 KB, 38 downloads)
File Type: jpg 3161-original.jpg (79.1 KB, 37 downloads)
File Type: jpg 3161-fixed.jpg (68.6 KB, 38 downloads)
File Type: jpg red splotch.jpg (63.9 KB, 37 downloads)

Last edited by sanlyn; 09-08-2014 at 11:22 AM.
09-09-2014, 03:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Errors like those are simple compared to the crud I've dealt with. I'm saving some aside for that contest idea. Dreding the old archives.

In fact, sanlyn, I may upload a true mess to you here in a few days. I'm curious what you'd do with it. I think it's entirely screwed.

Now that I'm back near my old home city, I have contacts with toys. I think one has PFClean, while another has Ikena. Time to call in some favors and play. (I'm finally starting to contact old high school and college friends, work buddies from yesteryear, etc. Just part of a recovery process! Phone call here, email there. I'm still on target for mid/late 2015!)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-09-2014, 04:17 AM
Premium Member

True, you run into stuff that's more disastrous. What I showed is rather common. But would anyone want to manually try to repair hundreds or thousands of frames in Photoshop? Example #1 had a problem in 1 out of 3 frames. The two examples on the bottom had more than 500 frames each with spots, blotches, hairs, etc., etc., in 5 minutes of video.

Maybe premiumcapture can supply a sample problem. A lot of stuff can be fixed easily in Avisynth. And don't forget AfterEffects.
09-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Free Member

I've done projects involving hundreds and thousands of frame cleanups in Photoshop, as well as a lot of PFClean work .... I definitely recommend keeping Photoshop work to a minimum, but it does do the trick when need be. Frame estimation doesn't really work on animation, for a start.