Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Free Member

Hi all,

I have been reading through some of the threads in the forum and can see that there are alot of very helpful and very knowleadgable people on here.

I have a bunch of VHS-C tapes (9 in total to be exact) of my family holiday abroad dating back to 1998 recorded on a JVC GR-45 (i think). The recorded content are some of the most memorable and precious moments of my life.

I have digitised the tapes already to DVD using a JVC GR-FX16 VHS-C camcorder (bought from ebay) as a playback machine and recorded directly onto DVD using a Sony DVD recorder. No editing or anything.

The results i must say were very good indeed compared to the very first time i had transferred them from VHS-C to full size VHS. The JVC GR-FX16 camcorder i used had built in TBC and CNR features.

Most people probably would be satisfied with the results of the captured picture quality that i have now but due to the level of emotional attachment i have with the video content of these tapes i just want to see if there are other players or machines out there which will give me the BEST possible picture quality.

I just want to try all that i can to get every bit of quality before these tapes start degrading. I thank my lucky stars that i have been able to transfer them onto DVD already but i just thought you experts on here may know better ways.

I thank you all in advance for your help.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-06-2015, 04:38 AM
Remembered

Quote:
i just want to see if there are other players or machines out there which will give me the BEST possible picture quality.
For VHS-C and S-VHS-C I have here:

JVC BR-S522 S-622 + 822 + [but only for SP]
Panasonic NV V8000 [SP and LP]

Capturing uncompressed or losslessly, filters with Avisynth.
Then upload a snippet here User sanlyn ask.
12-06-2015, 05:22 AM
Free Member

The above machines are quite hard to get hold of nowadays. I missed out on a nearly new nv-v8000 model which sold on ebay uk for £195.

I have recently bought a JVC BR-S525e which I bought blindly without testing. This is a very complex machine for me and it took me quite a while to even hook it up to my TV to try and get a picture. There is a picture and all seems to work but two issues. Firstly I can't seem to change the cassette mode to VHS-C and secondly the picture I got from playing a full size vhs tape was not clear at all. I am not sure whether it is dirty heads and needs a clean and service or will it require a new head.

Is it going to be worthwhile to spend money on this machine to get it up and running. Will it give me the picture results I require for my VHS-C tapes?
12-06-2015, 05:32 AM
Remembered

Yes, expensive and usually defective.
Elko disease, right in the power supply and the head drum.
[SMD capacitors (2x47μF and 2x4.7μF)]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nv-v8000.jpg (55.4 KB, 22 downloads)
12-06-2015, 05:32 AM
Free Member

I have recently bought a JVC BR-S525e which I bought blindly without testing. This is a very complex machine for me and it took me quite a while to even hook it up to my TV to try and get a picture. There is a picture and all seems to work but two issues. Firstly I can't seem to change the cassette mode to VHS-C and secondly the picture I got from playing a full size vhs tape was not clear at all. I am not sure whether it is dirty heads and needs a clean and service or will it require a new head.

Is it going to be worthwhile to spend money on this machine to get it up and running. Will it give me the picture results I require for my VHS-C tapes?

Whats elko disease?
12-06-2015, 06:00 AM
Remembered

Quote:
Is it going to be worthwhile to spend money on this machine to get it up and running.
No..ich buy and fix any more.
Iam 2.JVC BR-S525 disposed of until last week.
Actual run here of 522 + 622 +822
and a simple JVC BR-S811.

The settings at the BR-Sx22 models one adjusts to the device, but only the cable from the connector "monitor out" to a control Connect Monitor.
Manuals I have only in German.
----------------
Quote:
Whats elko disease?
With "disease" I meant that it is a disease of many feeders and recorders from this period.
The capacity of the electrochemical capacitors according to let

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _JVC BR-S525-E.VSD - Microsoft Visio_2015-12-06_12-38-55.jpg (62.0 KB, 13 downloads)
File Type: jpg defekt_JVC-BR-S525.jpg (61.8 KB, 13 downloads)
File Type: jpg nv-v8000.jpg (55.4 KB, 11 downloads)
The following users thank Goldwingfahrer for this useful post: sdcr88 (01-12-2023)
12-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
These: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

If you only have 9 tapes, perhaps letting a good service transfer them is a better solution. Heck, even if you shipped them to us (UK>USA), it'd be cheaper than futzing with learning everything for such a small amount of videos.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Free Member

I have thought about letting a company transfer the tapes for me but I just can't take the risk of letting them out of my possession. I will probably just have to be patient and wait for a decent condition working Panasonic NV-V8000 machine to appear on ebay and go for that if it falls within my budget. I am assuming that this machine will give me better picture quality then my JVC GR-FX16 vhsc camcorder?
12-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Free Member

An attached sample would help so that we can see the quality level you've attained so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingfahrer View Post
The settings at the BR-Sx22 models one adjusts to the device, but only the cable from the connector "monitor out" to a control Connect Monitor.
Manuals I have only in German.
Hmm. That page of the BR-S525E manual that you posted mentions a turnable DNR control and a menu setting that aren't present on my BR-S525U. I didn't think the NTSC version differed that much.

BR-S525U_menu14.jpg

Tags
vhs-c