07-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Free Member

Hello!

I recently found this site and I've been reading through some of the TBC faq. I'm currently in the process of converting some old CEDs I have to digital format. To do this I've been using a CED player that has composite output (as good as it gets on these machines - way better than RF modulated output on most).

The output signal is running through a Videonics MX-1 to provide full frame TBC. The output looks rock solid, however I've noticed some artifacts that are present only in the time base corrected output. Namely some fuzz/noise on the border of objects. I'm wondering if this is inherent in all TBCs or if there is a way to improve it?

I noticed that Datavideo TBC-100 and TBC-1000 are recommended as well as the AVToolbox AVT-8710. This got me wondering if the issue could just be the TBC. However, if I run relatively good video from my SVHS player into the MX-1 it doesn't exhibit the same kind of artifacts.

Example:

Would a different TBC eliminate the noise on the edge of the face? The noise is not present if captured directly from the CED player, but the flagging is unreal.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-13-2016, 08:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDmarshal View Post
Would a different TBC eliminate the noise on the edge of the face?
It's possible, but personally I would use one of the DVD recorders known to be good for passthrough. The full-frame TBC models don't do much horizontally.
07-16-2016, 03:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
It's possible, but personally I would use one of the DVD recorders known to be good for passthrough. The full-frame TBC models don't do much horizontally.
Thanks for the response!

I've ordered a Panasonic DMR-ES15. Hopefully that'll do the trick

I do have a question about line vs. full-frame TBCs. You mentioned full frame TBCs don't do much horizontally and I've seen this mentioned other places. My main reason for using the MX-1's full frame TBC was to correct some heavy flagging/jiggling in the video:

Before: https://gfycat.com/UltimateThriftyIsopod

After: https://gfycat.com/BrownSpitefulBlackbear

To me that's a type of horizontal error, though I'm just learning about line vs full-frame TBCs. Will a line based TBC do a better job of lining up the edges and eliminating the noise on them?

Ignore the color degradation on the "after" version. It's an older capture and the result of having to demodulate the signal through a VCR to get a composite signal and unwisely using S-Video output from composite input on the TBC. I have a better set up now that's composite video all the way through and the color is unaffected, but the noise on the edges is still present (as per the image in my first post).

I just wanted to illustrate the stabilization effect from the TBC and see if you think the line TBC will further eliminate the noise/fuzziness on object edges.
07-16-2016, 09:27 AM
Free Member

Flagging is a bend at the top of the image: http://avaa.bavc.org/artifactatlas/index.php/Skew_Error

The wiggling is horizontal error yes. There is a difference between saying full frame models don't do much vs don't do anything. But really, I was referring to the ones you were considering purchasing. It's possible the MX-1 is better at horizontal than they are. I know basically nothing about it.
07-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
Flagging is a bend at the top of the image: http://avaa.bavc.org/artifactatlas/index.php/Skew_Error

The wiggling is horizontal error yes. There is a difference between saying full frame models don't do much vs don't do anything. But really, I was referring to the ones you were considering purchasing. It's possible the MX-1 is better at horizontal than they are. I know basically nothing about it.
Ah ok I actually came across a different page on that same site a week or two ago about video errors TBCs could fix and flagging was the closest term I could come up with. I see what you mean though, it does seem to only refer to the top of the video. Maybe wiggle/jiggle is the technical term

http://avaa.bavc.org/artifactatlas/i...ime_Base_Error

Hopefully adding the Panasonic DMR-ES15 will be the silver bullet It's already in FedEx's hands so it should arrive sometime next week. I'll post back with the results. If that doesn't do it I'll look into one of the recommended TBCs to replace th MX-1.

Thanks again for your thoughts, I definitely appreciate it!