12-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Free Member

I'm converting my home videos from VHS to DVD. I was able to fix some minor video imperfections with Virtualdub, but I noticed that there were some duplicate frames in random places. I tried using the GetDups Avisynth filter, but it made the video blurry and cut off 3 mins of the video. Does anybody have any advice on removing duplicate frames? I am a novice with Avisynth, so if your solution entails using it, please be as descriptive as possible. Thank you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Can't help you without an unprocessed short sample. If you are capturing to a lossy codec you're already in trouble.
Random duplicate frames indicates a bad capture and malfunctioning capture setup.
You're not giving enough information about how the tape was played, the hardware used, the capture device or capture software, or the codec used for the capture.
12-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Free Member

If you play the video in Virtualdub frame by frame you will the duplicates.I used AVS Video Recorder to capture video played on a VCR with a composite video connection. Mediainfo says that the compression mode is lossy even though I didn't choose any codecs before recording. AVS seems to do it by default. My capture device was the usb capture device provided with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._al_bw_c_x_3_w

Attached Files
File Type: avi sample video.avi (5.04 MB, 10 downloads)
12-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Thank you for the sample.

There's bad news and good news. Bad news first:

There are two major framing problems. With every 6 frames, frames 5 and 6 are duplicates. After each set of duplicates, 2 frames later there is a dropped or missing frame.

It's one thing to do some work to repair poor signals or other problems, but you have little more than a make-work project going, IMO. You have no tbc timing correction and you're using junk hardware and software to capture to a lossy codec unsuitable for this kind of repair work. I would suggest that you invest something in a proper capture setup based on lossless media. Repairing video with problems like these caused by the methods you're using is futile as well as preventable.

Good news:

You still have the tape source (hopefully), and you've found one or more tech forums that can advise how to capture VHS properly. You need both a line-level and a frame-level tbc as well as a decent recommended capture device and, since you have VirtualDub you already have one of the best VHS capture apps around. Inserted frames (dupes) and dropped frames are a direct result of poor VHS playback with unsuitable timing correction in the external capture chain.
12-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Free Member

When I try to capture video with Virtualdub 32 bit I get this error "An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'igdumdim'......reading address 0000001C." When I try 64 bit I get "An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'Veedub64'......reading address 0000000000000028." Any idea why?
12-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

I have no idea. Not enough detail here. Module "igdumdim" is a Windows system dll. I never heard of "Veedub64", but I don't use 64-bit software because not much of it exists for VHS restoration. . Is your capture device compatible with VirtualDub and recognized in its capture menu? Are you setting up for capture to lossless media? How are you playing these tapes (with a VCR or camera, obviously, but what model?). It's recommended that you use 32-bit VirtualDub. If you're mixing 32-bit and 64-bit drivers, you're in for problems. Suggested VirtualDub capture settings for various devices were recently updated here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html. Suggested USB/PCIe capture devices are listed here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ti-wonder.html, any of which would be preferable to your generic VIDBOX device.

VHS is usually captured to YUY2 using huffyuv or Lagarith lossless compression. If you use 32-bit software, you must use 32-bit codecs during capture. Most users interested in quality playback would use s-video connections, not composite.

Last edited by sanlyn; 12-03-2016 at 09:55 PM.
12-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Free Member

Will this be of any benefit at all? http://amzn.to/2gZnmUG The TBCs recommended are really out of my price range.
12-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

The Grex is not a tbc. Does some damage to the image as well. You can save some cash and use a legacy DVD recorder as tbc pass-thru for at least a nominal level of frame sync control. The few recommended DVD recorders that can be used as pass-thru also have some line-level tbc activity and work fairly well, especially the Pansonic ES10 and ES15. Not all such machines can be used for pass-thru, and newer ones have very weak circuitry. A pass-thru unit isn't used for recording. It's hooked up between your player and your capture card, so the signal "passes through" the DVDR. They work fairly well, but they won't defeat Macrovsiion. With home tapes, macrovision isn't a problem anyway. http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...hat-do-you-use
12-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Free Member

The Grex website says that it is a TBC.

12-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
The Grex site is BS. That is NOT a TBC. They sent us one to review years ago, and were pissed when I didn't rubber-stamp it as a quality item. It's not. It really screws with video values. Avoid that thing.

Do not post links to sites like Imgur. Attach images to posts.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

The Grex revises certain copy protection components of video signals, and screws up the picture doing it. It does not correct frame timing. If it did correct timing and didn't meddle with PQ, we would all be using it. Stay away from over-priced junkware.
12-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Free Member

Ok, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet on this one. I guess I can always resell it afterwards. I was looking at this one http://ebay.to/2g29kVa. It has all the same features as the AVT-8710 and it's $60 cheaper. Do you have any experience with this one and will it be able to bypass Microvision? Because I did intend to convert some movies as well.
12-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodal View Post
Ok, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet on this one. I guess I can always resell it afterwards. I was looking at this one http://ebay.to/2g29kVa. It has all the same features as the AVT-8710 and it's $60 cheaper. Do you have any experience with this one and will it be able to bypass Microvision? Because I did intend to convert some movies as well.
Plenty of experience with this, and it does defeat Macrovision. But mine is an original black/green edition from 2004, a few years before the 8710 name was bought out and quality started downhill. There are many complaints in this forum about newer 8710's from eBay. Lordsmurf had a known and tested "legacy" model selling for twice the price eBay wants, which is not unusual. If you must choose this product get it from a seller with known reliability, service and a proven return policy, such as B&H Photo.

Lordsmurf or someone else might chime in on this, but I'd advise to stay away from eBay with certain products, including this one, especially if you're strapped for cash. They're a good source for old Panasonics that still work, but we've seen too many complaints about non-green AVT-8710's from eBay.
12-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

I have one green/black AVT-8710 left. After that, all gone.

12-22-2016, 02:12 AM
Premium Member

On this video sample, doing everything this website promotes

Using a JVC SVHS 9900
Recordings with DS100

For the work I do, have to make edits, so re-coded the mpeg2 One time, masked out the scans lines by using chroma keying. Cut the video, left it normal meaning 720x480 29.97 frames per second, 384K audio. You have no drop frames, no videos errors, this tape is over 21 years old, recorded from the cartoon network, (I know how much Lord Smurf loves his cartoons.)

You can go an adjust the color levels or do things to improve the video, really why it is perfect for a VHS to DVD capture.....

Attached Files
File Type: mpg Sample.mpg (63.36 MB, 11 downloads)

Last edited by deter; 12-22-2016 at 02:26 AM.
12-27-2016, 05:14 AM
Free Member

I bought a TBC and it fixed the duplicate frames. Thanks for the advice guys
12-27-2016, 06:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

The motion of the content is what pissed off the non-TBC capturing.
What TBC did you end up with?

12-28-2016, 12:58 AM
Free Member

I crossed my fingers and bought that one from Ebay. I figured I could always send it back if I got a dud. Luckily that doesn't seem to be the case.