Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Free Member

I have read many topics on checking color and adjusting levels during capture. Since I am relocating my studio to a cooler room and have a proper 42U rack to house my VTR gear should I look into getting a vectorscope/Waveform monitor for adjustments or can this be done in software via Virtualdub? I've read about Avsynth but haven't used it before. I could possibly find some decent scopes on fleabay but if there are better alternatives let me know. I'm not sure if this was discussed before if so I'd need to find those threads.

Analog is not dead yet.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Free Member

Even if you get one, you still need to monitor the levels as actually digitized by your hardware. So you need to do software monitoring regardless.

I picked one up for $50 from Craigslist but I don't use it for capture monitoring.
06-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
Even if you get one, you still need to monitor the levels as actually digitized by your hardware. So you need to do software monitoring regardless.
I picked one up for $50 from Craigslist but I don't use it for capture monitoring.
Okay, so what software would be best for level monitoring? I have two setups...for the SVHS decks (Panny 1980, etc) I use the AIW card in the XP machine with Virtualdub for captures. For the broadcast machines I have (Betacam SP) I use the AJA Kona LHi for all component captures.

I know Premiere Pro CC has scopes but unsure whether it can be used for monitoring and adjusting levels on the IPS monitor.