05-24-2019, 05:28 AM
Free Member

Hi,
Alright first of all I just want to explain to those who may be angry that it may be a question that someone already wrote more then one time...However I'm totally confused and I will explain why..
At first when I came to this forum I had just the EzCapture usb thing and was trying to capture using virtualdub (Which in the end after having many frame drops got me to this great forum..)
From there I understood from lordsmurf that for better capture I must first throw away this Ezcapture thing and buy TBC,Better capture card and new S-VHS with internal TBC..And that's what I did..Invested around 1200$ for TBC,JVC S-VHS HR-S7950 and ATI 600 USB Capture..
I captured all my homemade VHS tapes using virtual dub all on default settings and 0 frame drops and audio sync is well..Some tapes had indeed bad noise however I guess it's just because in some parts they are damaged already so nothing I could do..
Anyways now after doing the capture using VirtualDub and saving all the captures on one folder..Now comes the new part which is the restore/filter thing..And here I'm totally lost,If for the capture part I thought I already started to understand how things work now I'm totally lost in too much information too much details ..I know I cant expect for a straightforward guide in this subject since every restore is for each case..
However at least a little explaination on what to do?
I saw topics on software called AviSynth,There there are arguemnts if to use AviSynth the official 32bit or + 64bit or MT and when there is no something that is better then the other (That's what lordsmurf likes to say in his posts from what I checked ;D)
and with all the different filters,scripts and explantions I'm feel like I'm lost
Have no clue what to do,
The Tapes are PAL and the idea in the end is to transform all of them to H.264 file which would be used in the end on my digital stream server in PLEX so my whole famliy would be able to watch it on their computers/TV..

Again,I know that probably the answer for my questions is somewhere here,But with so many details and so many opinions I really have no idea what to do,And hopefully someone can guide me to the right place,Dropping me to Avisynth wiki wont really help me to understand anything as I went there and tried to understand everything but it just made me more confused,On the guides here for example lordsmurf says he is using filters in VirtualDub it self + Avisynth and I'm like ....

;(
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-24-2019, 06:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Filtering and restoring is not an easy task. You must take 1 tape at a time, learn how to fix it. This may mean uploading samples, hoping someone can help with it. And reading lots and lots. Experimenting is also important. There can never be fully comprehensive guide for restoration.

VirtualDub and Avisynth are the usual tools for this. VirtualDub is easier, but often weaker (but not always), if possible with the available filters. Avisynth is usually stronger, but has a learning curve.

AvsPmod and Hybrid make Avisynth somewhat easier.

The exact errors determine what's needed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-24-2019, 07:04 AM
Free Member

That I understood,That there cant be really a guide for it since every tape is different and would require different approach..
However when you say Virtualdub/Avisynth for it..There so many different versions so many different things that I'm telling you I really read alot but it just kept me getting more confused..Filters that would work only for 32bit/for 64bit..Filter tha would work beter only on 64bit..It's just
05-24-2019, 07:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Yep, there is a learning curve.

You want these:
- VirtualDub 1.9 x86
- VirtualDub2 x86
- VirtualDub2 x64
- Avisynth (official)
- Avisynth+ x64
- AvsPmod
- AvsPmod x64
- Hybrid

And that doesn't include any of the filters. This site has VirtualDub 1.9 x86 with some filters preinstalled. But not the others, not yet, actually working on it with another member right now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-24-2019, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
The majority of Avisynth users still use Avisynth v2.6. A huge number of popular plugins, both old and new, will work OK with it.
The majority of VirtualDub users still use v1.9.11
The overwhelming majority of plugins and add-ons for Avisynth and VirtualDub are 32-bit.
32-bit versions of huffYUV and Lagarith are still the mainstay codecs for saving lossless working files.

If you want to fight with managing full 32-bit and 64-bit versions of both apps it's up to you, but I don't see the point especially when you're learning. Once you've figured out how this stuff works and know what to expect, you can expand in all directions if you wish.

Don't get the idea that VirtualDub is "easier' just because it has a graphical interface and icons to play with. It does come with a few basic filters, and few of them are as powerful or complex as Avisynth's plugins for tough jobs, but VirtualDub also has some very sophisticated add-ons that are essential for good work and require some understanding and practice.

No one has a "book" on how to fix a video with Avisynth or VirtualDub. There are guides on how to use the menus and commands and how to write easy Avisynth scripts. You need to know that stuff, but it still won't fix your video for you. Everyone I've met in several forums, from newbies to expert users to old pro's, has learned to use filters and color correction and formatting by browsing restoration posts and threads, learning from others. Many filters come with extensive documentation and examples; for the rest you can find old scripts that demonstrate how they're used in various situations. There are literally hundreds of restoration and repair projects documented in this forum in great detail. And there are hundreds of Avisynth and Virtualdub plugins, but chances are you'll need only a dozen or less as a basic toolkit for most projects.

The other essential learning tool is posting samples of your work or problem and seeking advice from people who've been there before. The forum has posts that deal with making and posting samples from different formats, so just ask if you need help. Post directly in the forum, not offline -- most users won't visit offline sites, and when your offline sample disappears your post will be useless.

Good luck.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: dknoll (11-09-2019)