Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for streaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Free Member

Hi,

When I run a Vapoursynth filtering process on a 1min extract and convert to h264 in Hybrid (QGTMC and some color/noise/sharpness stuff that looks good enough to my sophomoric self) it works great. CPU usage spikes to 50% and it churns along at 8-10fps on my 2016 Macbook Pro core i7-6920HQ on Windows 10 Bootcamp. When I try to run it on the whole 40+GB huffyuv file it barely uses more than 5% of CPU.

What's more, on a two pass convert job it appeared to hang overnight. I'd set it, it made it through audio and first pass and about 18% of second pass when it just stopped. .264 file hadn't been written to in 90min but program was responsive, though no resource usage. Trying to do just the second pass now (pointing to the right .stats file of course) and seems to be hung again.

How do I get proper error messages out of this tool? Log is useless. I'm about to try restarting but at this point I might just throw in the towel and archive these fuckers in huffyuv, and say screw it to those who might want to watch online.

JC

-- merged --

Nevermind, back to Avisynth. Using Avisynth+ 64b MT and going direct to 264, getting ~30 FPS now. Only remaining issue is audio, but seems like there's no LAME ACM encoder for 64bit Virtual dub (only doing minimal filtering so good enough). Any suggestions on the audio portion? Guess I could use hybrid for that.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-24-2019, 12:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I've not run into this exact problem.

... however, similar problems, in pure Avisynth.

Some of this issue may be trying to run too many filters at once. That's a known problem with Avisynth/Vapoursynth, and it's not the fault of Hybrid.

It's always best to run QTGMC alone. Not doing so can sometimes lead to problems. Stay lossless.

Color correct in a separate pass. Again, stay lossless.

Then convert to the delivery format (H.264, MPEG, etc).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: cygnals (10-19-2020)
07-24-2019, 12:55 PM
Free Member

Makes sense - thanks!

Finally got a straight to 264 process working with everything but deen (no 64 mt equivalent I’ve found yet) and it’s so much faster I’m just crossing my fingers. Time crunch plus limited storage space are motivators but if this fails I’ll probably take up that suggestion. Thanks again!