Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-01-2020, 01:20 PM
Free Member

The rev. level is REV. G / A 2.00

The model number text is 4CoreDual-SATA2 but they wrote just SATA next to the SATA connector. They thought that the number text contains SATA2 so don't need to mention it again. I found another board for sale on eBay and the text is the same next to the connector.

I found forum comments where people said that his 4CoreDual-SATA2 works with E8400 Core 2 Duo. I will update the bios to the newest one and give it a try.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-01-2020, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

The E8400 is a 1333mhz front side bus architecture. The max on your board I thought was 1066mhz.
04-01-2020, 01:47 PM
Free Member

Yep, i don't know how can it work. 1333 vs 1066 using only 1066 Mhz or the bios update (overclock?) will handle that.
04-01-2020, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

A couple comments:

To update the bios you have to have a bootable PC (minimum of CPU, memory & display card) using a CPU that is supported by the current bios.

I bought a $6 Pentium "just in case" for my 775Dual-VSTA since the e6700 I wanted to use was not supported by the earlier bios's. Turned out I didn't need it.

Overclocking and video capture are probably not a good mix unless you really know what you're doing.
And for capture, any Core 2 duo CPU will be plenty. Any additional speed is mostly for non-capture work on that PC. Might be nice but is not necessary...

BW
04-02-2020, 08:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW37 View Post
A couple comments:

To update the bios you have to have a bootable PC (minimum of CPU, memory & display card) using a CPU that is supported by the current bios.

I bought a $6 Pentium "just in case" for my 775Dual-VSTA since the e6700 I wanted to use was not supported by the earlier bios's. Turned out I didn't need it.

Overclocking and video capture are probably not a good mix unless you really know what you're doing.
And for capture, any Core 2 duo CPU will be plenty. Any additional speed is mostly for non-capture work on that PC. Might be nice but is not necessary...

BW
All right. We are in the planning phase already just checking the possibilities. The PC is alive . Actually i don't have to upgrade the bios because it has already the 2.2 version. According to the official site (https://www.asrock.com/MB/VIA/4CoreD...index.asp#BIOS) the 2.20 version is the latest. I bought a refurbished motherboard so they took care of the bios also. With an Intel Celeron processor (removed from the old computer) works fine but first with the 1 GB 800 Mhz CSX RAM didn't boot up. So we replaced it with a 667.

I won't overclocking (mod) the motherboard. I cannot downgrade the bios so at least it is the newest one. The fastest CPU with 1066 FSB is Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 so i will try to get that one. Lordsmurf suggested the E8400 but without any context. For what motherboard and configuration i don't know. Also need RAM and two HDDs.

I forwarded these discussion to the IT hardware friend whom we build the PC and we confirmed that we are not getting the point in digitalization. Why we need an old computer for digitalization if we can get a newer, faster one. There are also digitalization card with analog inputs nowdays. His relative doing some digitalization work also with some video capturing job like wedding filming, etc. He digitalize with a high end PC (i7, capture card, Win 7). He just connect the VCR to the capture card and start working. His workflow contains some kind of correction as he said. I also found some topics here where members mentioned high end PC. Lordsmurf using high end PC for editing also. So my friend is curious about what justifies that old PCs for digitalization. The only idea that we can come up with is the importance of the OS. The best OS for digitalization is XP SP2. So the incompatibility of the application cannot manage on newer hardwares. Newer hardwares needed only for HD? I am ok with this old PC because this costs less than the i7 processor in a newer configuration but i feel like i am not convinced but this is some kind of basic principle. "The best OS for digitalization is XP SP2, so you need a PC that suits". I can buy newer computer parts but i won't find any driver to XP. Also a lot of digitalization software work on XP.

I am a little bit confused

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200402_150832.jpg (69.3 KB, 7 downloads)
04-02-2020, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Best OS for ANALOG (vhs, svhs, etc) is the XP PRO SP2. Newer hardware is not compatible with XP OS.
04-02-2020, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

A separate PC for capture only (XP Pro sp2)... a newer system for editing and encoding.
04-14-2020, 02:55 PM
Free Member

I am back again for a short status report. I got the CPUs and the memories. The CPUS are E8300 (the wanted E8400 sold) and a E7600. The second one is the officially supported CPU by the motherboard but i am curious that with E8300 can also work. I have two RAM modules. The seller told me that the 4CoreDual-SATA2 supports 2 GB RAM !per slots!. So maximum 4 GB. I know that we need only 2 GB and the XP can handle up to ~3.8 GB but some extra memory can come in handy and it was two identical Kingston memory modul for a good price. Unfortunately one of the modul not working with the old Pentium Celeron processor and the working ones recognizes as 533 Mhz but i hope the processor change will fix it. Tomorrow we will working on it and build the best PC from the parts.

The only missing parts are the HDDs. I just checking the shops and i am stunned. It was quite a long ago when i bought HDD last time. I filtered for Seagates only and there are only SATAs. I won't buy any used or second hand HDDs. Despite that on that HDD will the OS and the capturing softwares. For capture drive i found a lot of new Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200rpm SATA3 3.5". I made some research and with MBR the XP can handle 2 TB as Lordsmurf said. But for OS drive i can only buy also this drive with different size/storage. 1 TB is cheaper than 500 GB. I am very confused. BW37 said that installing XP to SATA can be tricky but i cannot do anything else.
04-14-2020, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

If you installing XP on a SATA/SSD drive, you will need to download the "SATA / RAID DRIVER" from ASROCK, use the F6 function during XP installation to instal the ASROCK SATA DRIVERS, or slipstream the ASROCK SATA DRIVERS into a custom XP install CD.

There are many websites that show you how to create a slipstreamed XP install disk.

eBay also has several IDE drives that are NEW that you can purchase.
04-14-2020, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

I was going to say that the manual says the board can only support 2GB total but apparently that is not entirely correct. A little research indicates that with 2x2GB sticks you might get 3GB available, maybe more, not sure.

Here's an interesting post on the subject.

As Sergei316 is suggesting, using an IDE drive for the boot drive solves the XP installation issue. Otherwise use F6 during XP installation (or making a slipstreamed XP install disk) but I needed an actual floppy drive installed to make that work. I couldn't use a usb thumb drive or usb connected floppy.

Good progress!

BW
04-15-2020, 08:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I use DriverPacks to slipstream, as most drivers are already in it.

However, I use quiet Seagate 120gb IDE HDDs for my Asrock builds. I mostly slipstream non-IDE/post-XP systems. Noting that I'm not really building capture systems anymore (though I have still done a few, haven't entirely quit). Those just hold the OS and capture software, handful of test video/audio clips, and nothing more.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-10-2020, 02:19 PM
Free Member

We tested the E8300 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU in the motherboard and it surprisingly accepted the CPU and recognized it. Should i go further to E8400 or E8500, maybe should downgrade to E7600 (the latest 1066) that is officially supported by the motherboard? As my IT friend said and we experienced the DDRII era is not that relaible, predictable. Recognized 266 MHz only. With both memory modul the PC didn't start up but with exchanging the memories it somehow worked. But the only Asrock motherboard that i find with AGP is these motherboards from DDRII era. Did i mess up everything? I shouldn't build a capture PC? I just followed your instructions and i feel like failed.
05-10-2020, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
We tested the E8300 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU in the motherboard and it surprisingly accepted the CPU and recognized it. Should i go further to E8400 or E8500, maybe should downgrade to E7600 (the latest 1066) that is officially supported by the motherboard? As my IT friend said and we experienced the DDRII era is not that relaible, predictable. Recognized 266 MHz only. With both memory modul the PC didn't start up but with exchanging the memories it somehow worked. But the only Asrock motherboard that i find with AGP is these motherboards from DDRII era. Did i mess up everything? I shouldn't build a capture PC? I just followed your instructions and i feel like failed.
The E8300 does not seem to be supported by the motherboard you have. That CPU has a bus speed of 1333mhz. Surprised it worked. I would try the E7500 cpu.

I would check to make sure you have the ram installed in the correct memory slots on the MB and make sure the memory modules are in fact DDR400 PC3200
06-25-2020, 01:06 PM
Free Member

I checked informations and experimented some. What i realized that a motherboard can work with higher CPU and RAM frequency but it will be downgraded to the motherboard's FSB. So a 800 MHz RAM can work on 667 MHz and a 1333 MHz CPU can work on 1066 MHz but it will lower the performance.

As you can see the E8300 original frequency is 2.83 GHz, but in the motherboard it is lowered to 2266 MHz because of the 1333 - 1066 MHz incompatibility. So it would be better if i choose an officially supported CPU from the list, like E7500 with 1066 MHz because its frequency is 2.93 GHz. Does it make sense or do i need make more experiments?

My question is should i choose a Quad Core processor? I know that for the capturing 2 cores - 2 threads suggested but does more performance makes any harm?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200616_093836.jpg (52.0 KB, 104 downloads)
01-25-2021, 01:56 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Worthless spam removed, user banned.

Last edited by admin; 01-25-2021 at 04:55 AM. Reason: -admin
01-25-2021, 02:32 AM
Free Member

Thank you Axweltrion.

In the first place i looked for motherboards with AGP because of the AIW capture cards (and with Intel socket as well). In the second phase i filtered my list to get the most powerful motherboard. My research ended with this motherboard. Maybe there are better ones i missed. I found only this one with SATAII that is a very important parameter in digitalizing as a i learned here. A tried multiple CPU and RAM combination.
Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 has the highest frequency (3.06 GHz) with 1066 FSB that supports the motherboard. I tried multiple RAM modules (2 GB) in dual-channel and after some BIOS refresh and settings it works with both 2 GB RAM. The PC cannot use the full size just around 3,5 GB like Windows XP.
Actually the current configuration is different from that one on the picture (I uploaded the wrong picture but it was also a working configuration). Now in the BIOS somehow the "Speed" is also ~3.06 but earlier it was around 2.66 GHz. I don't know how realiable or how important informations are these at the boot but it was an easily noticable improvement. Still don't know how powerful is my capture PC maybe i shoud test it but i designed it overpowered for digitazing processes. The only issue i have that it starts boot after multiple startups. Maybe it has to be warmed up or the capacitors have to charge up

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210125_091247.jpg (36.4 KB, 8 downloads)

Last edited by admin; 01-25-2021 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Spammer do not get thanks. -admin
01-25-2021, 04:37 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

You replied to a spammer. He had nothing useful to add to the conversation, and was simply blasting out to links to his worthless blog. It had nothing to do with this topic.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
01-25-2021, 04:48 AM
Free Member

Sorry, i didn't realized it until now. I hope i didn't make any trouble by answered to a spammer. In the future i will be more careful
01-25-2021, 05:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, i didn't realized it until now. I hope i didn't make any trouble by answered to a spammer. In the future i will be more careful
You didn't make any trouble. You're fine.

When you see a new poster, and his 1st post contains links, odds are it's a spammer. Especially if he/she/it bumps an old post, or the links obviously has nothing to do with the conversation. That clown spammer in this thread was just adding links to some garbage blog about gamer PCs.

And now ... back to on-topic posts ...

Quote:
The PC cannot use the full size just around 3,5 GB like Windows XP.
XP Integral Edition has a fix for this, but I've not yet tried.

Quote:
What i realized that a motherboard can work with higher CPU and RAM frequency but it will be downgraded to the motherboard's FSB. So a 800 MHz RAM can work on 667 MHz and a 1333 MHz CPU can work on 1066 MHz but it will lower the performance.
Correct.

Quote:
My question is should i choose a Quad Core processor? I know that for the capturing 2 cores - 2 threads suggested but does more performance makes any harm?
The harm is adding heat. That's really it. No help, harm is more heat. Because of where I live, I'm entirely against adding heat. It may be fine in winter, maybe even much of the spring, but summer and fall are just miserable when hot computers overrun the AC (and cause the AC to freeze up, even break).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-25-2021, 05:33 AM
Free Member

I am happy that i am not in a trouble. My membership in the forum is very young so i automatically assume that every poster has more experience and longer membership than me. This is a very reliable and easy method to find a spammer you described.

My capture PC is finally finished, just have to install drivers/softwares and design the folder structure again. I am still not sure how to install VGA driver correctly but i will find out soon.

I hope 3,5 GB RAM will be more than enough because you said that 2 GB is also fine. I keep some spare storage for the CPU. Also you said to choose the CPU with higher frequency per core with minimum two cores. Quad-Core CPUs have lower frequency so i stayed at the Core 2 Duo E7600. Only the Core 2 Extreme X6900 has higher frequency (3.2 GHz). It's too much effort to get one. It's rare, so the price is high and when i find one it would come from an unreliable source (China).