Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-11-2021, 12:19 AM
Free Member

Lagarith works well with Windows 10 and VDub here; no audio issues. I'd plug a pair of headphones into the VCR and listen to the raw sound. You will need a RCA to 2.5mm socket converter if the VCR doesn't have a Headphone socket.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-11-2021, 03:26 PM
Free Member

My VC500 arrived. Doesn't capture or preview on VD (just a black square) but it does on ArcSoft once you set it to PAL_B or PAL_I.

The screenshots below were all done on ArcSoft. The Sanyo screenshot seem really over processed and as lordsmurf points out, the colour are all out of whack. The JVC (with it TBC on) captured with the EM28284 capture device is higher quality and the colour seems to be overall correct. Lastly the JVC (TBC on) using the VC500, the lines are much softer even with the in-built TBC on but the luminance definitely makes it look better and you can even see the colour brown on the chairs the cartoon characters are sitting.

One of the drawback with my EM28284 is the capture looks too dark, especially during footages where it night time or in a dark room and you can barely see anything. I thought this problem was attributed to the Sanyo VCR but I guess not. Other than being unable to capture, the only other thing I can't do now on VD is set it to 720 x 480. I think 720 x 576 looks fine to me or is could be a problem?

Done on the Sanyo and captured with EM28284 (My first capture device)
Pocket Dragon Sanyo & EM.jpg

Done on the JVC and captured with EM28284
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Done on the JVC and captured with VC500
Pocket Dragon JVC.jpg

05-12-2021, 11:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS_UK View Post
So what the codec issue? Is there a remedy for Windows 10 users or do I have to stick with Lagirth?

To recap just so I don't end up in circles when configuring VD.

I reset VD preference by deleting VirtualDub.org via regedit to start afresh. As of this moment, I currently got video compression set to Lagrith Lossless Codec with Multithreading enabled and Mode set to YUY2.

Custom video format set to 720 x 480 with YUY2: YUV 4:2:2:2 interleaved data format.

I set capture setting to 25fps since the default NTSC frame rate cause audio sync issue and because all the tapes I capture are PAL.

I haven't touched the capture timing so "Drop frames when captured frames are too close together" and "Insert null frames when captured frames are too far apart" options are ticked as well as the "Force audio clock when audio playback is enabled" ticked. apparently it doesn't matter what setting it on since I don't have a external TBC (yet).

That's all the settings I altered at the moment. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
In the future I would suggest installing an uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller that fully uninstalls the program automatically, which is much more efficient and safe.

Follow this guide to install HuffYUV on a 64-bit computer: http://lifeofageekadmin.com/installi...ows-10-64-bit/ . This is what ultimately worked for me. Obviously if you download the 64 bit version of HuffYUV, use the 64 bit command prompt paste, and with the 32 bit version use the 32 bit command prompt paste (they're separated). Probably want to make sure previous HuffYUV installations are off your computer. Lagarith is used for lossless captures as you may know, and will make Youtube uploads look worse.

I'm not a reliable source on the topic of the Virtualdub capture timing settings, but I do know that the Virtualdub settings that were posted here on the forum were made with a external frame TBC in mind.
05-12-2021, 11:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Custom video format set to 720 x 480 with YUY2

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...#ixzz6uiZGysz6
PAL captures should be 720x576.

Quote:
Lagarith is used for lossless captures as you may know, and will make Youtube uploads look worse.

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...#ixzz6uiZGysz6
Chucklehound, I haven't heard of this before. Is this YT issue based on experience?
05-13-2021, 08:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Chucklehound, I haven't heard of this before. Is this YT issue based on experience?
Not from experience, but when you upload a YouTube video, you want that video to be in the best quality possible so that when YouTube compresses and deinterlaces the video it will not look outright terrible. So you are pretty much compressing using Lagarith, and then compressing + deinterlacing again with YouTube, which will most-likely lead to unsatisfying results quality-wise.

Edit: I was completely incorrect about this

Last edited by Chucklehound; 05-13-2021 at 09:15 PM.
05-13-2021, 09:07 PM
Free Member

Thanks, my understanding is you should never give YT interlaced video. You should de-interlace it first.

Secondly, HUFFYUV and LAGARITH are both considered "lossless" codecs; Lagarith has the advantage of slightly smaller file sizes. Neither are "uncompressed", but neither are considered to be "lossy" like h264 or MPEG 2, and that is why Lags is recommended, as is Huff, for VHS captures. At 30gb per hour for 720x576 (Lags capture), there's not much "lossy" going on.
05-13-2021, 09:13 PM
Free Member

Whoops, that was my bad. Thank you for the correction, that was a mistake on my part. I was under the impression that Lagarith offered mediocre quality, but that is good to know. It can be difficult to make a VHS tape look good on YouTube, because of all of the butchering that YouTube does to videos in order to save bandwidth.
The following users thank Chucklehound for this useful post: Hushpower (05-13-2021)