Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-07-2023, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I both love and hate this community.... this was so much easier when all I had was my childhood VCR and an EasyCrap device from Amazon... the results were garbage, but I only spent $10

Only kidding. This group has been so helpful, and I'm super grateful for this resource and all of the learning I've been able to do!

Below is my setup.

Please let me know your thoughts, or if I'm missing something. I know that this is a bit subjective, because it largely depends on my source material. I am building this workflow to capture some old family videos. Most of them shot in SP, and in generally good shape, but if I'm able to do this for others (strictly as a hobbyist, not a professional or charging folks. I just love being able to do preservation of this material, so consequently I've become a bit obsessive about how to build a workflow that will give me the highest quality) I want to ensure I have a good foundation I can build on later, if needed.

Workflow:
  • VCR (JVC HR-S7600U)
  • TBC (DataVideo TBC-3000)
  • Proc Amp (Elite Video BVP-4)
  • Capture PC (ATI-AIW 9800 Pro, ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Intel 775 CPU - exact model not yet selected, 2 GB RAM, and 2 HDD, one for OS and other for storage of captured files)
  • UPS to run and protect the equipment.

Most of my software based cleanup will be done on another computer, but I haven't really selected any software for general cleanup if anyone has any recommendations.

I will likely add some other items to use as needed such as the DMR-ES15, and if I can find one, a Sign Video DR-1000.

Do you think this will be sufficient to start? I know I will need to add at least one additional VCR eventually, but my initial tests on my personal home videos shows that the JVC I currently have is most certainly up to the task.

Thank you all for this fantastic website/forum/community/resource, and thank you in advance for any feedback you may have.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-07-2023, 10:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaturearchivist View Post
Hey Everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I both love and hate this community.... this was so much easier when all I had was my childhood VCR and an EasyCrap device from Amazon... the results were garbage, but I only spent $10
Welcome.

It's sort of like a kid that's been eating nothing but Happy Meals. Same crappy small squashed "burger" (meat, cheese, pickle in a bun ain't a burger!), fries or apple slices, milk or soda. It's terrible stuff. Awful health-wise, tastes like wet cardboard. The kid is "happy" until he realize how good other food it.

Quote:
Only kidding. This group has been so helpful, and I'm super grateful for this resource and all of the learning I've been able to do!

Quote:
I know that this is a bit subjective,
The most "subjective" aspect to workflows is willingness to spend funds on quality gear that gives quality results. So not really subjective at all. Real subjectivity gets into the weeds, such as the noise and sharpness profiles of JVC vs. Panasonic, or the performance of TBCs against difference sources. There's really not much room for subjectivity with the workflow hardware. The subjective aspect also comes into play at the computer, the software, such as compromises to store as MPEG-2 4:2:2 @ 15mbit+ vs lossless, or which QTGMC deinterlace switches look best.

Quote:
because it largely depends on my source material. I am building this workflow to capture some old family videos. Most of them shot in SP, and in generally good shape, but if I'm able to do this for others (strictly as a hobbyist, not a professional or charging folks. I just love being able to do preservation of this material, so consequently I've become a bit obsessive about how to build a workflow that will give me the highest quality) I want to ensure I have a good foundation I can build on later, if needed.

Quote:
Below is my setup.
Please let me know your thoughts, or if I'm missing something.

Workflow:
* VCR (JVC HR-S7600U)
* TBC (DataVideo TBC-3000)
* Proc Amp (Elite Video BVP-4)
* Capture PC (ATI-AIW 9800 Pro, ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Intel 775 CPU - exact model not yet selected, 2 GB RAM, and 2 HDD, one for OS and other for storage of captured files)
* UPS to run and protect the equipment.
Seems fine.

That BVP-4 can give some nasty chroma ringing/ghosting these days, so watch for it. It's gotten worse with age, too. I've not really suggested the BVP-4 in years, preferring the SignVideo/Studio1 proc amps instead.

The SignVideo/Studio1 detailer can also be interesting, for certain pre-processing for high res and upscale projects.

Quote:
Most of my software based cleanup will be done on another computer, but I haven't really selected any software for general cleanup if anyone has any recommendations.
VirtualDub, some filters such as CCD
Avisynth, for most cleanup
Premiere, for color correction only

Quote:
I will likely add some other items to use as needed such as the DMR-ES15, and if I can find one, a Sign Video DR-1000.
Both good adds.
ES10/15 safest model of Panasonic, but there are a few more. However, best to buy those others only when you can compare to ES10/15.

Quote:
Do you think this will be sufficient to start? I know I will need to add at least one additional VCR eventually, but my initial tests on my personal home videos shows that the JVC I currently have is most certainly up to the task.
Condition is a factor, so hopefully these weren't "eBay specials" that are in typical shoddy shape, need maintenance, needs refurb, assuming no irreparable issues (sadly too common these days).

Quote:
Thank you all for this fantastic website/forum/community/resource, and thank you in advance for any feedback you may have.
You seem to be doing well, you've read, you've done your homework.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: amaturearchivist (07-07-2023)
07-07-2023, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Wow! Starting my day off with a from Lord Smurf. I'll take it

Thank you so much for your thoughts/feedback!

Quote:
It's sort of like a kid that's been eating nothing but Happy Meals.
This is a perfect analogy!

Quote:
The most "subjective" aspect to workflows is willingness to spend funds on quality gear that gives quality results. So not really subjective at all.
Thank you for this. I know that the gear needed to do the job well can depend largely on the source material you are starting with, but I appreciate the reminder about gear in general not being as subjective. Points like that are especially helpful for a newbie like myself.

Quote:
hat BVP-4 can give some nasty chroma ringing/ghosting these days, so watch for it.
This is also super helpful to know. I hadn't read anything about this ghosting issue, but I could have also very easily overlooked it in my research. I'll keep an eye out for Sign Video Proc Amps, and will keep my fingers crossed in the meantime that I get lucky with my BVP-4. Incidentally, is this ringing/ghosting issue fixable? I'm super comfortable with recapping boards, repairing circuit traces, etc. Not saying I'm the best person to repair one of these units, but I'm open to trying if you think it would be beneficial. Would the BVP-4+ fair any better, do you think?

Quote:
VirtualDub, some filters such as CCD
Avisynth, for most cleanup
Premiere, for color correction only
Thank you for these recommendations! These are all certainly tools I will plan on using. Excited to learn my way around VirtualDub. I haven't used it in nearly 20 years.... Now I feel old

Quote:
Both good adds.
ES10/15 safest model of Panasonic, but there are a few more. However, best to buy those others only when you can compare to ES10/15.
Good to know! Fortunately, at least after a quick glance, it does not appear that any of my tapes are having issues with tearing, but I can't imagine it will take too long to come across tapes that do have this issue. I'll be glad to have this on hand for a passthrough as needed.

Quote:
Condition is a factor, so hopefully these weren't "eBay specials" that are in typical shoddy shape
Oh, eBay.... no matter what you buy, it's always a bit of a gamble.

The VCR I'm using, as well as the TBC-3000 did come from eBay, but were only purchased after extensive messages back and forth with the sellers. They were very knowledgeable, and were able to provide me some really great insight into the true condition of both items.

Incidentally, both listings noted "Tested/Working", but didn't specify anything beyond that. In my experience, this means that the unit is getting power, but nothing else is tested In this case, however, both units had been extensively tested and checked. I mentioned that they should probably include the level of testing in postings for any other gear

I got lucky, though, and I realize that. Even though it was in decent shape already, I did take the VCR to a local repair shop and had it serviced. I've been very pleased so far. The BVP-4 was a decent price so I just went ahead and grabbed it. Absolutely a gamble, so I'm hoping it pays off... time will tell... Most of my other gear comes from folks I know locally who have worked in video and/or broadcast for decades, and have taken immaculate care of their gear over the years. I'm lucky to have a local resource!

Quote:
You seem to be doing well, you've read, you've done your homework.
In all seriousness, this means a lot! I love to learn, and I've always believed that anything worth doing is likely going to take practice, patience, learning, and just a little bit of luck. I'm looking forward to continuing to learn and grow, and again, I'm super grateful for the knowledge and guidance found here!