Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-22-2023, 03:37 AM
Premium Member

I just came across this site or I would have started here but I just bought tbc3000 new in box from different site (so it claimed) do I need anything to add to the tbc3000 for better performance like prox control. If so please advise.

If the tbc3000 is a full frame tbc then it sounds like I still need a line tbc? I would be interested in a good VCR with TBC and capture card. The tbc3000 has the ability to run two setups. My goal is to have two setups and after reading a lot of your information it would be best to have different brands for troubleshooting best outcome.

I’m also interested in the best output monitor I should use? Computer ok or should I get a Sony one of those vintage Sony monitors? Forgot acronym?

I have been working on mastering digitizing 8mm and 16mm film over the last 5 years, now find myself jumping into VHS and I’m OCD so I finding myself with no half measures. Looking for a quality work flow setup.

I use a capture software program called OBS in other operations I do. What do you suggest? Also I have questions about proper setup? S cable works its way through TBC but does the sound go from VCR to capture device only? How important is it to use high end cables? Any suggestions on brands?

BEGGINNER here looking to get past making errors in purchasing. Hopefully I didn’t do that already with the tbc3000.

Cheers
Jason
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-22-2023, 05:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Lots of questions here.

Welcome.

TBC-3000 has multiple versions, so "TBC-3000" alone isn't too useful. Certain versions have developed cyclical issues in recent years, perhaps caps. Others just failed now. (I have a board extracted here, slow long troubleshooting, but about to pass it over to Diopter_Doctor for his eval.) This will happened used or not, so "new" is nonsense now. But that "new" unit on eBay was obviously not new (easy tell: the wrapper was not the stock fitting). We all saw it, we passed on it. Too many unknowns for that sort of price. But good luck to you on it.

IPS monitor, and calibrate it (Spyder, etc).

Frame TBC fixes the signal.
Line TBC fixes the image.
You need both.

Do not use OBS. OBS is digital streaming/"broadcasting" software, not analog videotape ingest/capture software. OBS does not truly connect to the card, but rather re-records from the display layers. It treats capture cards like webcams. Use VirtualDub.

Mistake #1 = buying from eBay. The gear is sold by recyclers, not video people that can truly evalutate the gear. The terms "tested" and "working" are generally manure. Remember, this gear is all 15-25 years old now. You can't expect it to still be "new" or "like new", or even just "works great!" without any vetting to the claims. Everything is starting to need attention, meaning repairs and board-level service. Most of it should have had maintenance a decade ago, but never did, especially VCRs. So you cannot impulse buy this stuff on auction sites, the "local" Facebook/whatever sites, etc. There is good gear out there, from various refurb'ers (yes, me included, but also others). It takes us time and costs.

Here's a good recently updated thread on what shysters the eBay sellers are: https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/new...-ebay-vcr.html
There are many more threads/stories in the forum.

Do not buy Monster or "brand name" s-video cables. Fat headers are the problem. Quality cables are not chunky monkey, but also not pieces of Chinese string from Amazon/eBay.

Workflow = VCR > TBC > capture card
Not any random VCR/TBC/card, but specific units known for quality.
Ideally
- recommended JVC S-VHS with line TBC >
- > recommended DataVideo/Cypress type frame TBC >
- > recommended capture card (and choice depends on OS, with XP/7 best, 10/11 worst, Mac/Linux not an option)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-22-2023, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Regarding my next step....
Ok well that's concerning with the info on the TBC-3000....once I receive it, I suppose I will put to test and if it's not working have it rebuilt. If I understand your response, you have provided me a contact that may be able to help with that if required?

I'm ready to make a purchase >less the TBC unit as I am already down the road with the one, I purchased off Ebay.

I read the link and sellers expression and I appreciate your warning only wish I had made contact with you sooner.

I watched a YouTube video from Bennie Will about TBC Units and Digitizing VHS and his list from worst to best and got excited when I saw the TBC300 listed.

Anyway....I am ready to make a purchase for the remaining parts required if you would kindly make your suggestion on the equipment I should purchase. Do you think I should ignore the fact I bought the TBC3000 and buy a complete setup system or buy only the equipment south of that?

Thank you
12-22-2023, 08:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Some of this needs to be taken to PM, expect that shortly.

The problem is always this: Do you know what errors, or non-errors, that you're looking for? That's rhetorical, of course, I know the negative answer already. Which is why random buying gear from eBay is such a horrible idea. By the time most people figure out it has problems, or needs work, it's way past 30 days.

TBC-3000 tests are somewhat lengthy to perform, and not something I can help with right now.

Yes, certain versions, in prime condition, are indeed some of the best TBCs ever made. Bennie is very correct.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-25-2023, 01:47 AM
Free Member

You might want to look into getting a good UPS before you plug your TBC 3000 in.
The following users thank Gary34 for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-25-2023)