Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-17-2011, 04:31 AM
Free Member

Jumping straight to the point, my mom passed away a few months ago and beause of her death, my dad has wanted to preserve our VHS home movies.

I purchased a Hauppauge! HD PVR 1212 before my mom passed away for Playstation 3 gameplay because my dad loves watching games like Uncharted, but hates playing them. Since I do own the HD PVR, I would love to know if I can use this hardware to achieve the same VHS quality and better with proper filtering.

As for a VCR, I own a Sony Video Cassete Recorder SLV-778HF. I have read around about Timebase correctors (TBCs) and wanted to know whatever a VCR can not do can a program like VirtualDub do? Hope that makes sense for you guys.

I have the VCR and HD PVR hooked up to Composite (as my VCR does not have SVideo) and was wondering if SVideo is better.

The HD PVR capturing software I believe to be no good because I plan on editing the home movies. For anyone who does not know the formats that the capturing software offer they are .M2TS, .TS, and .MP4. When I say editing, I mean on each VHS there is multiple events such as birthdays and graduations that I want to split into seperate videos to make a menu of each title on a DVD5 or DVD9.

I am not really sure where to start software wise and how to use programs like VirtualDub (the only program I have heard of for video editing and filtering). Even though I am not sure where to begin, I do have a readiness to learn.

If what I ask is possible and someone is able to help me step by step I would love to upgrade to a premium member.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maul514 View Post
Jumping straight to the point, my mom passed away a few months ago and beause of her death, my dad has wanted to preserve our VHS home movies.
Loss of a parent is never an easy experience. This is a common catalyst for preserving family history and genealogy, and that includes scanning old photos, converting old audio tapes to CD/MP3, and converting old video tapes to digital archives (files on hard drive, DVDs, Blu-ray, etc).

Quote:
I purchased a Hauppauge! HD PVR 1212 before my mom passed away for Playstation 3 gameplay because my dad loves watching games like Uncharted, but hates playing them. Since I do own the HD PVR, I would love to know if I can use this hardware to achieve the same VHS quality
Possibly -- but not really. The Hauppauge 1212 model capture card is really geared at use as an ATSC "capture" devices (more like ATSC stream dump than analog capture). It was an earlier ATSC device, so it didn't completely wipe out analog inputs, so it can capture VHS tapes in as-is quality. You must use WinTV, and you're limiting to MPEG-2 hardware capturing. Some Hauppauge cards allow backdoor/non-obvious capturing in VirtualDub, but I don't have a full list of models that can do this. You'll need to just test it. Open VirtualDub, go to capture mode, see if there's an available device from the Device menu.

Quote:
and better with proper filtering.
No. Capture cards generally do not do any in-card signal processing that would improve your video. In fact, the goal is to not make it worse, as that's easy to do. Quality processing needs to happen by way of a good VCR with a TBC, often an external TBC to maintain signal integrity and stability, and then post-capture filtering can be done in software like Avisynth and/or VirtualDub for noise, and Adobe Premiere for color correction. Certain DVD recorders, like the LSI chipset based JVC DVD recorders, can do added filtering in-machine (on-card), which is why those models are so highly sought after by serious VHS>DVD hobbyists and pros alike.

Quote:
As for a VCR, I own a Sony Video Cassete Recorder SLV-778HF. I have read around about Timebase correctors (TBCs) and wanted to know whatever a VCR can not do can a program like VirtualDub do? Hope that makes sense for you guys.
There's a basic concept: garbage in, garbage out.
The Sony VCR will be the "garbage in". That's just a standard consumer VCR, nothing special at all. There were worse VCRs, sure, but S-VHS VCRs are above and beyond the quality possible from the Sony. Just hang on to the Sony, however, on the odd chance a S-VHS doesn't like a tape.

Quote:
I have the VCR and HD PVR hooked up to Composite (as my VCR does not have SVideo) and was wondering if SVideo is better.
Yes, almost always. Keyword: ALMOST. Compare for yourself, and look for any Lego-like patterns in the video, dot-crawl type motions, or ghosting of color. S-video is far more precise than composite, but sometimes a really damaged signal makes an s-video output go bonkers.

Quote:
The HD PVR capturing software I believe to be no good because I plan on editing the home movies. For anyone who does not know the formats that the capturing software offer they are .M2TS, .TS, and .MP4.
Yeah, you don't want that.

Quote:
When I say editing, I mean on each VHS there is multiple events such as birthdays and graduations that I want to split into seperate videos to make a menu of each title on a DVD5 or DVD9.
Basic cuts/splice/merges isn't really "editing" as such, but still sort of is. Video "editing" is often adding effects, transitions, titles, etc, and that requires higher end video software. Basic cutting is a elementary task available to many formats. Womble MPEG-VCR, for example, for MPEG-2 splicing. Or better yet, Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD.

Quote:
I am not really sure where to start software wise and how to use programs like VirtualDub (the only program I have heard of for video editing and filtering). Even though I am not sure where to begin, I do have a readiness to learn.
Then you're a perfect member for this site.

Quote:
If what I ask is possible and someone is able to help me step by step I would love to upgrade to a premium member.
Yes, Site Staff will definitely be available to handle your questions. We also answer Premium Members faster, for most questions. (Sometimes the testing of clips can take a little longer, as we run tests on your specific problems, and give back detailed 1-on-1 advice. Normal text/image back-and-forth has no such delays.)

You'll find the upgrade info here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...oin-forum.html

Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs