Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Free Member

Hi LordSmurf,

First, I want to take a moment to thank you for creating DigitalFAQ. I especially enjoyed your very helpful and easy to digest guides on ATI All-in-Wonder capture cards. When I got started with video capturing in 2004, I worked off your guides exclusively and was extremely satisfied with the results. In fact, when my system died due to a power surge in 2008, I tried a few alternatives before I eventually relented and purchased a new custom built computer that had AGP so I could continue using the ATI card.

In any event, I'm trying to determine where to go next. I have an 82" television and a hi-def projector capable of projecting images at about 100". I still have a few hundred VHS tapes that I would like to convert to some digital medium. I am thinking of simply capturing the tapes to MPEG using the ATI card and storing the raw MPEGs on a 3TB hard drive which I can access and stream to my TV or projector via a server (For what it's worth, I plan on utilizing two 3 TB drives and keeping one for backup purposes only).

I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on the viability of this. Is MPEG still a good format for capture and playback in this manner? In addition, I may need to occasionally burn DVDRs from these files, so a format that could be easily converted would be desirable. Should I consider AVI and possibly Huffy? I also imagine anything I capture will have to be done with DVD specs in mind.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

-- from justin81

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors