Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Free Member

Dear Lord Smurf,

We have not met, but I hope you will not let that prevent you from answering a few questions that I would like to ask you.

I read a few threads not too long ago that dealt with different video conversion topics you happened to comment in, and several of your responses lead me to believe not only that you fully understand what you are talking about, but that you are the "Go-to" person if stuck like a duck.

I happened to make a fairly large response in the hardware devices thread where you explain the different gizmos (such as the GREX, SIMA, and video stabilizers) that do not work in order to convert commercial VHS into DVDS , etc. and I was actually hoping that you might take a quick gander at what I had to ask in the thread and repond.

I personally was curious what you thought about certain dvd recorders to just hook a vcr to a time base corrector, and up to a dvd recorder to do a straight to dvd dub kind of thing. I noticed back in 2009 you listed the Magnavox H2160MW9 as the best device for the task...do you still think that to be the top choice?

I know Orsetto suggests the Magnavox MDR513 DVD/HDD recorder, but frankly I am leaning much closer to your judgment opposed to what others have suggested. What's the difference between the two recorders anyway?

I look forward to hearing from you.

**Goss**

P.S. which do you think is better, a used TBC-1000 or a brand new AVT-8710 model. I could have sworn you said that there was a problem with new AVT models. something about investigations? can you elaborate on that for a novice?

--HairyGossamer

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Much of this is covered here in the digitalFAQ.com forums, if you read around for a bit -- especially here in the workflows forum. VCR to TBC to DVD recorder works great -- I do this for a lot of my basic own home/hobby work (from already-excellent tapes), because it's low-cost and easy. It's only the more serious work, and pro work, when the workflow needs proc amps, detailers, audio mixers, and other hardware processors. And it gets expensive when it's more than a VCR, TBC and DVD recorder (which in itself is already $500+ climbing towards $1000 quickly).

For VHS tape conversions, I'd maybe not get the Magnavox, and instead look for a good JVC recorder that uses the LSI chipset (which is NOT all models, but only select ones). Again, read around this forum for the right info on the right models. JVC DR-M10, DR-M100, DR-MV5, etc.

Your post (PM) is rather dated, so I'll stop here. If you have more questions, feel free to reply, and I'll continue.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Free Member

Hello lordsmurf,

And thank you for responding to my post. I have not been on these forums very much either. In fact, shortly after I inquired about how to execute this project, I left my job and have been occupied searching for a fitting employment opportunity. Anyway, this project has been put on the back-burner temporarily.
Though, I am still interested in researching this subject. I looked up a few of your suggested recorders and was curious if having an "s" or "u" on the end of the model number is the same, or if there is an actual difference to your model suggestion. (Could they make this any more confusing? ::Knocks on wood:

I found a recorder similar to one of the model # recorders you listed as an ideal machine. The model number says JVC DR-MV5S and on the back of the unit it says JVC DR-MV5SU. Is this the same as what you recommended (the DR-MV5)?

I'm inclined to think that there is a significant difference, but when budgeting for a project like this, one needs to be clear.

Also, do the LSI chipset DVD recorders work more efficiently when converting commercial VHS tapes to DVD or do they only help clean up the visual images? I know a TBC does quite a bit of that already, but I was just wondering what makes an LSI chipset ideal? Please don't laugh too loudly, but why can't I use any DVD recorder?

Last question: Will a Magnavox MWR10D6 Recorder work for converting commercial VHS tapes to DVD? (I happened to come by someone selling one VERY reasonably priced is why I ask.) and I read someone converted their tapes to DVD with that unit. Though, they didn't mention if they were homemade tapes or commercial.

I am still mapping a few options here. I would appreciate any input you can give me on this.

Obviously I am a newbie, so looking in each of the forums is like searching for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

I look forward to hearing from you lordsmurf,

and thank you very much for your response.

Hope all is well Sir

**Hairy Gossamer**

Last edited by HairyGossamer; 07-01-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Punctuation edits
07-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Welcome back.

The full model number is JVC DR-MV5SUS. It's a DR-MV5 DVD recorder. The S is for "silver". The US is for "United States". Hence JVC DR-MV5SUS, but you rarely see the full-length model number. DR-MV5SU is just somebody chopping off the last letter, which happens sometimes. Great DVD recorder, worthless VHS player. Pretend the VHS half isn't even there.

The LSI chipset removes or suppressed chroma noise, which is a flaw of the VHS format itself -- be it homemade tapes, or commercial ones. So yes, the LSI Logic Domino chipset helps to clean up retail VHS tape releases. LSI Logic chipsets also run some degree of NR in the JVC units, removing grain and making the MPEG-2 (and thus the DVD-Video) look better. In fact, the DVD version of a VHS tape will look better than the original tape did! That's why you don't want to use any old DVD recorder. Most DVD recorders make DVDs that look worse than the original tape, not better.

Will a Magnavox MWR10D6 Recorder work for converting commercial VHS tapes to DVD? Yes, but the quality of the DVD will be lower than the original tape. In my opinion, anything worth doing is worth doing well. Why go to the effort and expense of transferring a video, only to make a DVD that looks worse than what you started with?

07-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Free Member

Hello again lordsmurf,
and thank you for the warm welcome.

In response to your last post,
I agree quality does come first and I am sure a JVC DR-MV5SUS works like a charm since you're suggesting it. I have read a few of your responses to other posters and I can tell you have an eye for the best. Which is why I have more questions for you. (I know you have been asked these a million times, but I am hoping to gradually ascend into a bit more of an in depth questioning than some of the posters before me):

1.) Which TBC do you recommend for transferring commercial VHS tapes to DVD? (Backups of my personal collection)
I recall you saying about a year ago that the newer AVT-8710 models were under some sort of investigations? And I also read they overheat, and have sloppy quality control. Is that true and how much of a problem would that be for me?

I have only heard people mention a select few brands, so I figured it could not hurt to look for some unpopular yet effective standalone TBC models if there are any. For instance,

2.) Would a Leitch DPS-235 Transcoding TBC/Synchronizer do the trick? I noticed it said it's a Time Base Corrector. Also, while on the subject of DPS models, I recently saw a DPS 290 TBC sell for $54.36 including shipping. Are these the same types of Time base correctors used for recording commercial VHS tapes to DVD?

3.) What exactly allows my recorder to ignore copy protection on my tapes and DVD's? Is it strictly a standalone TBC? (like AVT-8710, TBC-1000, etc.)
4.) In this thread, post #25,
I notice someone shows a transfer using a Prime Image model 50II TBC to a Victor SVHS VCR and to a Toshiba SVHS VCR. So with this in mind will my transfers look as disappointing as the first two (out of 3) Goofy Movie still shots if I don't specifically have an SVHS VCR in general? Even the better still of the three looks quite a bit blurry IMO. And the Spiderman clip here looked very unacceptable, especially since they used a TBC-1000 and a JVC VCR. (not sure which model)

5.)I have seen a post from 2005 post #2 in which you recommend the JVC SR-V101US SVHS VCR...would this still be one of your top recommendations and why?

I have tried my hardest to understand Capmaster's explanation in (post #13) of a TBC's functionality, and feel like I am listening to a doctor explain foreign procedures of surgery while I sit in my kindergarten chair coloring outside the lines.

Yet I did take notice to a comment you made in (post #12)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf
Anybody that buys a TBC to "clean up the video quality" has no clue what they're doing, and is very obviously flying blind. Now, that may seem harsh, but it's the reality of the situation. The most important ingredients to image quality is the physical conditions of the tape, and the quality of the VCR being used.
6.) What if I don't use an SVHS VCR, and instead use a regular VCR, standalone TBC, and DVD recorder, and my tape quality is good to begin with...how will the recordings come out? Does anyone have any photos or video clips of this perhaps?

I would love to get something AT LEAST half as good as what gshelley61 captured with their Titanic stills in post #44...

I think gshelley61 mentioned that they used a JVC SR-W5U W-VHS Recorder to make the transfer...and that sadly goes for $790.91 alone.
7.) What kind of a setup do you think would make a decent transfer from commercial VHS tapes to DVD? And by decent, I mean no zig zags on the top of the screen (tearing??) or super stretched, blurry images, disappearing facial features etc.
It doesn't have to look amazingly professional, just not crappy. lol

I was watching a few episodes of Life With Louie on Youtube (Which I have posted a clip strictly for educational purposes of course) and couldn't help but notice how much they looked like analogue transfers of some kind. In this clip for instance I notice a repeating flash type of flaw that comes up during these 3 durations:

1:45-1:46 (On the close up of the blue van)
5:59 (On the left, the back of Louie's brother's head)
and
9:52-9:56 (the top of the door)

What is that effect called?

A different flaw shows up at 3:32 I notice with Louie's mom, her mouth basically disappears and comes back into detail shortly after. What is this called?

8.) Also, how could I avoid getting transfers containing those flaws? Luck perhaps?

I think I should close my message here. I realize it's quite lengthy and it may take you a while to respond, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Forgive me if these questions seem a bit jejune or naive. We all start somewhere though. I look forward to your response and I will speak with you soon.

Thanks

**H. Gossamer**

Last edited by HairyGossamer; 07-07-2012 at 07:13 PM.
07-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
1.) Which TBC do you recommend for transferring commercial VHS tapes to DVD?
2.) Would a Leitch DPS-235 Transcoding TBC/Synchronizer do the trick?
The biggest issue with TBCs is their effectiveness on various sources. VHS is one of the worst analog sources, and only quality TBCs do what's needed. The best TBCs for consumer sources are mentioned on the guide at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html -- and you're mostly looking at the DataVideo TBC-100, TBC-1000, and AVT-8710. The Leitch gear is all rack-mounted (bigger than a normal VCR), and is attuned to broadcast and studio sources, not consumer sources. Experience vary.

Quote:
3.) What exactly allows my recorder to ignore copy protection on my tapes and DVD's? Is it strictly a standalone TBC?
Yes. "Copy protection" is nothing more than artificial signal errors. TBCs remove errors, including the artificial ones.

Quote:
4.) In this thread, post #25, I notice someone shows a transfer using a Prime Image model 50II TBC to a Victor SVHS VCR and to a Toshiba SVHS VCR. So with this in mind will my transfers look as disappointing as the first two (out of 3) Goofy Movie still shots if I don't specifically have an SVHS VCR in general? Even the better still of the three looks quite a bit blurry IMO. And the Spiderman clip here looked very unacceptable, especially since they used a TBC-1000 and a JVC VCR. (not sure which model)
Equipment condition plays into image quality, especially on any gear known to have lots of fault-prone capacitors on the mainboards. There's a good chance those images have been damaged by the hardware outputting a degraded signal.

Quote:
5.)I have seen a post from 2005 post #2 in which you recommend the JVC SR-V101US SVHS VCR...would this still be one of your top recommendations and why?
No. In 2005, the model was still available new from B&H for under $300. That post was also a comparison between severl factors, and the SR-V101US was a best-price option. These days, nothing is new, everything is used, so find whatever you can in good condition, from the listing of suggested VCRs: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

Quote:
I have tried my hardest to understand Capmaster's explanation in (post #13) of a TBC's functionality, and feel like I am listening to a doctor explain foreign procedures of surgery while I sit in my kindergarten chair coloring outside the lines.
It's actually a pretty good explanation in layman's terms. I don't know that I can dummy-down Cap's text any further. Analog VHS video signals are chaotic because of how tapes work. When the video plays back, it can be all wiggly, tear at the top of the screen, etc. The TBC replaces bad signal data with new signal data, in order to un-wiggle the video. That's really the best I can do.

Quote:
6.) What if I don't use an SVHS VCR, and instead use a regular VCR, standalone TBC, and DVD recorder, and my tape quality is good to begin with...how will the recordings come out? Does anyone have any photos or video clips of this perhaps?
The video will honestly look like crap. Color will be off, it will be full of noise, it will have blue/red chroma shimmering, the video will jitter, wiggle and vibrate. There's a huge difference in a good S-VHS VCR, and a cheapo consumer $100 VCR from ... well any time, actually.

Quote:
I would love to get something AT LEAST half as good as what gshelley61 captured with their Titanic stills in post #44...
Yeah, that won't happen. That's a best-case scenario there. Not an "at least" situation. It's using a rare Japanese VCR, and unusually perfect condition VHS SP mode retail release, quality wires, and a finicky high-quality Toshiba DVD recorder that looks good only when fed a perfectly clean signal. I don't think I can even get that with any degree of regularity. I do get similar results from a JVC HRS9800 and SRV10U decks. I did one tape this month that looked that good.

Quote:
7.) What kind of a setup do you think would make a decent transfer from commercial VHS tapes to DVD? And by decent, I mean no zig zags on the top of the screen (tearing??) or super stretched, blurry images, disappearing facial features etc. It doesn't have to look amazingly professional, just not crappy. lol
The ones we mention here all the time: good VCR, good in-line TBC, backup ES10 as needed, good lossless HuffYUV captures with a good capture card, processing in Avisynth and/or VirtualDub, and then encoding 2-pass in a high quality encoder like MainConcept Reference. I do this all the time. It takes $$$$ in hardware, experience, skill, and buttloads of time.

I was watching a few episodes of Life With Louie on Youtube (Which I have posted a clip strictly for educational purposes of course) and couldn't help but notice how much they looked like analogue transfers of some kind. In this clip for instance I notice a repeating flash type of flaw that comes up during these 3 durations:

Quote:
1:45-1:46 (On the close up of the blue van), 5:59 (On the left, the back of Louie's brother's head), and 9:52-9:56 (the top of the door), What is that effect called?
Chroma noise. It's a red/blue (sometimes green/pink) shimmer. I hate chroma noise with a passion.

Quote:
A different flaw shows up at 3:32 I notice with Louie's mom, her mouth basically disappears and comes back into detail shortly after. What is this called?
A shitty compression job. The entire video is overcompressed, overfiltered, and all-around crappy. Most of that is because the uploader could encode himself out of a box. The rest is because Youtube re-butchers video on upload, unless it's already at the magic H.264 specs it wants as source.

Quote:
8.) Also, how could I avoid getting transfers containing those flaws? Luck perhaps?
Use good hardware. Don't over-filter. Don't over-compress (not use enough bitrate).

Quote:
I think I should close my message here. I realize it's quite lengthy and it may take you a while to respond, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Forgive me if these questions seem a bit jejune or naive. We all start somewhere though. I look forward to your response and I will speak with you soon.
Questions were all good ones.

Nothing unusual, either. Just standard questions. Keep reading on the forum, ask when unclear on something. You've done quite well so far. We like to help those who try to help themselves -- as opposed to lazy cheap folks that don't want to buy anything, don't want to read, don't want to spend time, etc. They mostly go to other sites anyway -- the sites that lie promise to magically do everything perfect in one click for only $25.

08-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Free Member

Hello again lordsmurf,
For the most part now I do think I understand what will be needed and expected from me in order to tackle this VHS to DVD project…but I do still have more questions:

Quote:
Equipment condition plays into image quality, especially on any gear known to have lots of fault-prone capacitors on the mainboards. There's a good chance those images have been damaged by the hardware outputting a degraded signal.
Since everything I will be purchasing for this project will arrive in a used condition, is it overly complicated to purchase a few non-working S-VHS VCR machines (from your list of VCR suggestions) for parts and fix up/service one to a good or like new condition? I wouldn't want to consider this unless:

A.) There would be a good chance I could find a few machines with different reasons for malfunctioning.

And…

B.) There was a forum support to help me with something like this.

Just curious what you thought about going in the "fix it" direction.

Quote:
It's actually a pretty good explanation in layman's terms. I don't know that I can dummy-down Cap's text any further. Analog VHS video signals are chaotic because of how tapes work. When the video plays back, it can be all wiggly, tear at the top of the screen, etc. The TBC replaces bad signal data with new signal data, in order to un-wiggle the video. That's really the best I can do.
Sorry, what I should have said was that I get the gist of how a TBC replaces a VCR’s messed up signal so that a DVD recorder can understand what to do with the images digitally, but I have some questions about the mechanics to the VCR itself. (Which Capmaster discusses in the first half of that post)

For example:
1.) What does it mean when Capmaster suggests
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capmaster
Tapeplayers (VTRs/VCRs,camcorders,etc.)...mechanical parts are all subject to slop?
2.) What does slop mean?
Is this referring to an analogue signal’s imperfections?

I understand how oxide buildup would be a problem on the tape heads...but
3.) How is tape head magnetization a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capmaster
The effect these variables have on the signal is not only poorer video quality itself, but timing errors. Each horizontal scan read from the tape is ideally a precise time value in length, and these should fall precisely the same distance, timewise, from the previous scans, and the ones to come.Each group of hoirizontal scans makes up a field. Two fields make up a frame. Again, the timing between fields, and between frames, should be exact. But, we've seen from the issues above that they are not.
So what does that mean to the viewed picture? A TV set is very forgiving in matters of
timing."
So assuming these pictures demonstrate the same discussion, am I to understand the second and third image down on this website are snapshots of a VCR’s signal output (horizontal scans??) in motion (playing a tape) and that two of the blue diagonal lines together make up a frame/single image, and several pairs of these diagonal blue lines or "fields" are simultaneously sent out of a VCR to give a TV approximated (but not very accurate) instructions of how to process the timing or flow of images and overall visual display of a film? Did I get that?

Because if so...I still don’t understand how a horizontal scan could have vertical retrace portions within the signal? Doesn’t that contradict itself??

4.) How can something be read horizontally and output something vertical?? I am guessing it’s called a horizontal scan because of how the tape maneuvers over the heads (in a left to right fashion??) and around the head drum. Or does a TV read signals in a vertical fashion the same way a VCR reads tape moving horizontally? I don't know I think I confused myself. Any help on that would be nice.

Quote:
The video will honestly look like crap. Color will be off, it will be full of noise, it will have blue/red chroma shimmering, the video will jitter, wiggle and vibrate. There's a huge difference in a good S-VHS VCR, and a cheapo consumer $100 VCR from ... well any time, actually.
lol...got it...so S-VHS VCR's will go above and beyond a regular VCR, and a good DVD recorder like a JVC DR-MV5SUS with a Panasonic DMR-ES10S DIGA Series DVD Recorder as a passthrough will further polish off the image output of a prosumer S-VHS machine like a JVC HRS9800 model for instance right?

Quote:
The ones we mention here all the time: good VCR, good in-line TBC, backup ES10 as needed, good lossless HuffYUV captures with a good capture card, processing in Avisynth and/or VirtualDub, and then encoding 2-pass in a high quality encoder like MainConcept Reference. I do this all the time. It takes $$$$ in hardware, experience, skill, and buttloads of time.
LOL…I have nothing but time, but you definitely took it to the computer/software universe which I will not have the money to purchase equipment like that for quite a long while…so I definitely don’t want to inquire much about capture cards or programs I cannot physically navigate through or experiment with during the learning process. I am a very hands-on learner when it comes to learning programs. “Main Concept Reference” sounds like an intriguing and awesome program: it better be for $999.00. Ha!! I don’t even think Sonar was that expensive when it made its debut with Cakewalk.

Quote:
Chroma noise. It's a red/blue (sometimes green/pink) shimmer. I hate chroma noise with a passion.
I second this statement…Although I will say that the missing facial features from the bad compression job bothered me more than anything. I can somewhat ignore a small amount of shimmering, but missing facial features, tearing, stretching at the top of the screen or excessive chroma noise, etc. is just downright retarded to me and would not make sense to spend $800.00 and up to receive such an unsatisfying result.

Before I had read any posts pertaining to VHS to DVD backups, I recall asking at the Video Help forum (The very bottom of post #17 whether or not it was possible to connect a DVD player to a TBC to DVD recorder to make DVD backups of my personal collection as well as my VHS tapes, and getting answers that said it was possible to do so, but not logical when you could download a free program that does it for you and makes significantly better transfers.

5.) Do you personally recommend programs like DVDFab? And if so, would my computer be at risk of catching a virus if I put used DVD’s in my computer to burn backups?? (A little over half of my DVD collection consists of previously viewed films is why I ask.) Looking at the link that jagabo supplied me in post #22 it appears as though he is suggesting to download version 0.17.0 but I can't tell if this is only a trial version, or what...

Quote:
Nothing unusual, either. Just standard questions. Keep reading on the forum, ask when unclear on something. You've done quite well so far. We like to help those who try to help themselves -- as opposed to lazy cheap folks that don't want to buy anything, don't want to read, don't want to spend time, etc. They mostly go to other sites anyway -- the sites that lie promise to magically do everything perfect in one click for only $25.
Ha!! That sounded like a shot fired at the video stabilizer/GREX users to me.
Well, naturally I do not want to buy anything, but that will not prevent me from doing so in order to get this done properly. And in all seriousness, I rather enjoy spending time researching and reading about this topic; I think it’s fascinating to see how and why classic technology works and sometimes even improves video quality the way it does. So I guess I can’t be too cheap or lazy either to have my interests piqued in such an expensive field. What can I say, besides I appreciate your acknowledgment of my being on the right trajectory, and I thank you so much for your help and appreciate you taking the time out to respond to my posts…It feels like the beginning of an enlightening journey.

I hope to speak with you soon lordsmurf,

Until then,

**H. Gossamer**

Side Question:
Do you mind if I ask you, what exactly did you major in by the way? I ask because I can tell you have a remarkable knowledge of electronics and hardware, but I can’t quite pinpoint which majors may have covered several of these grounds. You take Digital Media to a new level, and somehow I get the feeling Telecommunications and Computer majors might dabble with some of the understandings of this stuff but not quite.
08-10-2012, 02:34 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyGossamer View Post
Before I had read any posts pertaining to VHS to DVD backups, I recall asking at the Video Help forum (The very bottom of post #17 whether or not it was possible to connect a DVD player to a TBC to DVD recorder to make DVD backups of my personal collection as well as my VHS tapes, and getting answers that said it was possible to do so, but not logical when you could download a free program that does it for you and makes significantly better transfers.

5.) Do you personally recommend programs like DVDFab? And if so, would my computer be at risk of catching a virus if I put used DVD’s in my computer to burn backups?? (A little over half of my DVD collection consists of previously viewed films is why I ask.) Looking at the link that jagabo supplied me in post #22 it appears as though he is suggesting to download version 0.17.0 but I can't tell if this is only a trial version, or what...
I'll answer this one maybe.
It is possible to record DVD Player to DVD recorder provided copy protect is defeated.
But they gave you the correct answer since the above is considered an analog capture and there will be some loss of quality doing it that way.

No, you wouldn't catch a virus unless something really funky is going on.

If you wish to make a copy of your disc, you can download and use the free portion of afore mentioned program.
This isn't something that is generally covered on this site since it is covered on other websites.
You should be able to find writeups, guides or links on this at vh.
08-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyGossamer View Post
Since everything I will be purchasing for this project will arrive in a used condition, is it overly complicated to purchase a few non-working S-VHS VCR machines (from your list of VCR suggestions) for parts and fix up/service one to a good or like new condition?
Possible? Yes.
Easily? I doubt it.

Understand most models have sub-variations, and may not 1:1 shared parts. Panasonics VCRs are especially guilty of this, as some models have been around for 10-15 years, which subtle changes that are only discernible by trained techs, armed with service manuals, that know how to gleam it from the serial numbers. So 2-3 VCRs maybe be 2-3 different units, in terms of exact internal parts.

Quote:
2.) What does slop mean? Is this referring to an analogue signal’s imperfections?
Yes. Analog video was chaotic in both a physical and a signal (non-physical) sense. You had a piece of flimsy tape being stretched and pulled through a snake-like path in a mechanical machine that rubs it with a magnetic metal head. "Slop" was just Cap's method of explaining how imprecise it can be, and how bad tapes can playback because of it.

Quote:
3.) How is tape head magnetization a problem?
It's really not. In 20 years, I don't think I've ever seen a case of it.

Quote:
I still don’t understand how a horizontal scan could have vertical retrace portions within the signal? Doesn’t that contradict itself??
You're compressing/over-simplifying the science. The signal and the physical mechanics don't necessarily align that way. HowStuffWorks.com is also doing a rather poor job at explaining how a VCR works. A much better text -- albeit MUCH long, and full of jargon -- is the book "VCR Troubleshooting & Repair" by Robert Brenner and Gregory Capelo. If you want to understand analog video, including VHS and other consumer formats, skip the online research.

Quote:
lol...got it...so S-VHS VCR's will go above and beyond a regular VCR, and a good DVD recorder like a JVC DR-MV5SUS with a Panasonic DMR-ES10S DIGA Series DVD Recorder as a passthrough will further polish off the image output of a prosumer S-VHS machine like a JVC HRS9800 model for instance right?
You've got it.

Quote:
whether or not it was possible to connect a DVD player to a TBC to DVD recorder to make DVD backups of my personal collection as well as my VHS tapes, and getting answers that said it was possible to do so, but not logical when you could download a free program that does it for you and makes significantly better transfers.
Since the video is already digital, you can either 1:1 copy (DVD5 to DVD-R, DVD9 to DVD+R DL) or transcode it (DVD9 to DVD-R), and get better results. DVD player to DVD recorder introduces D>A>A>D domain changing. You're treating digital sources as analog with that method, and it's not at all necessary or suggested.

Quote:
5.) Do you personally recommend programs like DVDFab?
Yes and no.
- DVD Decrypter is best for most straight DVD rips/copies.
- DVDFab Decrypter (DVDFab in free mode) is only needed for certain modern movies with stronger anti-copy protections.
- DVD Shrink is the ideal transcoder. Don't rip/copy with it. Just "shrink" (transcode) as needed.
- ImgBurn is the ideal burning application to burn the new copy.

There are guides on this site, as well as the forum, that address usage.

Note that we don't support the idea of "backing up" Blockster/Netflix/etc, but there is a legitimate case to be made for making duplicated of rare and out-of-print (OOP) discs. I have a few DVDs that people want to charge $100 for because they're a decade old and back in 2002 DVDs were made in much smaller release batches (hence limited supply). But discs are so fragile that not having a backup would be a terrible loss to a TV/movie collector.

Quote:
he is suggesting to download version 0.17.0 but I can't tell if this is only a trial version, or what...
In most cases, ignore versions on old posts.

Quote:
And if so, would my computer be at risk of catching a virus if I put used DVD’s in my computer to burn backups??
Not if you only download from the official sites! (Or trusted mirrors, such as Filehippo.com, Videohelp.com, or even threads on this site where software has been attached.)

Quote:
Ha!! That sounded like a shot fired at the video stabilizer/GREX users to me.
That and all the junky devices sold in Office Stores, such as Ion scanners/converters. Junk, all of it. Also the Chinese $30 "convert anything" software that butcher quality beyond recognition.

Quote:
I rather enjoy spending time researching and reading about this topic; I think it’s fascinating to see how and why classic technology works and sometimes even improves video quality the way it does. So I guess I can’t be too cheap or lazy either to have my interests piqued in such an expensive field.
Same here. Sometimes learning is part of the fun of hobbies.

Quote:
What can I say, besides I appreciate your acknowledgment of my being on the right trajectory, and I thank you so much for your help and appreciate you taking the time out to respond to my posts…It feels like the beginning of an enlightening journey.
Glad to help.

Quote:
Side Question: Do you mind if I ask you, what exactly did you major in by the way? I ask because I can tell you have a remarkable knowledge of electronics and hardware, but I can’t quite pinpoint which majors may have covered several of these grounds. You take Digital Media to a new level, and somehow I get the feeling Telecommunications and Computer majors might dabble with some of the understandings of this stuff but not quite.
My degrees are in media, and I hail from the pre-digital age. However video has been my primary hobby for exactly 20 years now, and many of the concepts of video bleed into related media and photo theory.

And yes, I do have an extensive background in IT related areas, especially networking and servers, though I don't have any official certifications or degrees. When I started out, such things were unnecessary. (I actually hate the term "IT" because it's really quite non-descriptive. "Computer science" is just as bad.)

As digital technology unfolded, I adopted it very early on, and it's slowly begun to overlap into media. For example, I was using digital cameras in 1995, for last-minute assignment just before news print deadlines. You didn't have time to develop film. It was either digital images, or none at all. I was using streaming web video back in 1997. Most people weren't even aware such things existed yet. I've had the same username online since 1996.

You may find these interesting:
- Video Hobby vs. Video Profession, Part 1: What’s the Difference?
- Video Hobby vs. Video Profession, Part 2: Make Money Converting Tapes to DVDs?
- Video Hobby vs. Video Profession, Part 3: The Interview

Part 4 was never finished, but I'll do so soon. It deals with the costs of creating a small professional video studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
This isn't something that is generally covered on this site since it is covered on other websites. You should be able to find writeups, guides or links on this at vh.
Most questions like this were answered years ago, and you'll find discussions heavier on the topic from 2004-2008. These days, everybody either already knows what to do, or they're asking to "rip" (wrong term) to iPod/whatever. That's where junky Chinese software caters to lazy "one-button" users that seem to like blocky/smushy quality.

If anybody needs help, search this site. If you don't find what you need, ask in a new post.