Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-03-2012, 05:35 AM
Free Member

Have recorded Hi8 tapes with Digital Camcorder SONY CCD-TRV82. Because this Camera was defect, I had to purchase a new Digital SONY Camcorder model DCR-YRV280. Now with the new model I cannot playback tapes recorded with the older model. What you suggest?

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-03-2012, 05:43 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Hello, welcome to the site.

Actually, the model of your new Digital8 format Sony camcorder is DCR-TRV280. Small typo.

The old Hi8 camera shoots Hi8, and plays analog Video8 and Hi8 format 8mm Sony videotapes.

The new Digital8 camera shoots DV data on 8mm sized video tapes. It was a failed format by Sony, in attempts to buck the DV format (probably for licensing reasons?). But that was an uphill battle, and yet another foolish example of Sony not playing ball with the rest of the video world. Many of those cameras could easily be regarded as "beta" quality (as in beta testing, not Betamax) because the technology never really matured before it was dumped due to an inability to compete with regular DV cameras. A lot of them do not play analog Video8 or Hi8 formats, even though the tapes fit.

You really have two choices at this point:
(1) Send the tapes to a professional service, and get them captured to whatever digital format you'd like (DVD, Blu-ray, uncompressed files, etc)
(2) Buy a costly Hi8 video camera in known-good condition, which isn't as easy as it sounds. This is often more expensive than simply having the tapes professionally converted -- especially if you have less than 25 of them.

And yes, we do convert Video8 and Hi8 to digital formats, NTSC only (no PAL), as one of the services available at The Digital FAQ. Contact us if interested.

Hope that helps, and best wishes on your project.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

The DCR-TRV280 does not have the analog playback feature or DV-analog bridge functions.. It can only record/play Digital-8 tapes.

Digital-8 was marketed as a transition format by Sony (plays your existing tapes!) The camcorders shared the same firmware and interface as Sony's period MiniDV camcorders. Over time Sony purposely crippled D-8 camcorders and marketed them as "low end". The format is actually more robust then MiniDV due to the larger width tape. Sony did license the format, but the only 3rd party units were made by Hitachi (another big 8mm supporter back in the day).

Regarding any transfers. The CCD-TRV82 did not support the XR format extension, but did feature a stereo microphone and audio recording.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: msgohan (04-28-2017)
10-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
more robust then MiniDV due to the larger width tape
Very true.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Free Member

I have used multiple Digital8 camcorders now, I took to embracing them right away, still use them. The thing you had a problem with is lower end models lack full supporting features, the backward compatibility to analog 8mm is an upscale model feature. Also CCD or Charge Coupled Device is Sony's model name branding showing that you have an analog versus digital model. so your posted question has some inaccuracy in it.

I offered this reply without reading the previous replies, but I take some issue with the comments that ignore the benefits of D8, Sony had a good idea to use pre-existing tech to advance, though you report it as under-developed, there was only so much time to see what would stick when you throw some new idea up on the wall. The thing that's so appealing is I had a massive library of 8mm, still do, actually, and I don't have to buy any new tapes, I use some tapes over and over, though you can get critical about the quality, It's still an improvement as far as digital upping analog, for computer Cyberspace hosting of content I shot ages ago in analog, dubbing VHS over to digital can all be done with a D8 cam. I found mine at local pawn shops for about $70 USD
The following users thank Uncle Slam for this useful post: Kazuya (05-31-2018), ShadowChaos (08-21-2015)