Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

My domains are now with namecheap.com, they e-mailed me telling me my transfers have completed, but I notice they are still listed in my control panel in 1&1 when I logged into my 1&1 account.

What do I do if anything with 1&1? are they going to charge me to renew my domains even though I have transferred them?

Is there anything more I should do? with either name cheap or 1&1?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-18-2012, 06:02 AM
Free Member

First cross check if your domain has been completely transferred to namecheap. 1&1's entire system is complex and not very smooth so I wouldn't be surprised is the domains are still listed.

-- Magician at Host4Geeks.com
08-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Premium Member

I guess from the lack of replies, I have done everything I can do with namecheap & 1&1, 1&1 will not try to charge me come November-the renewal times for my domain names.
08-19-2012, 03:22 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
I guess from the lack of replies, I have done everything I can do with namecheap & 1&1, 1&1 will not try to charge me come November-the renewal times for my domain names.
I was actually just waiting to see if the status would change. 1&1 is probably just a really slow (i.e., poorly managed/automated) custom system, and it's going to show ghosts for a while. I'd check back in a few weeks, to see if anything has changed.

I would suggest canceling any service you have their with a clear tech support ticket, just to cover all bases.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Premium Member

I am not sure exactly what to do here, do I contact 1&1 support via e-mail, with a ticket, & tell them what? that I no longer need their services? it feels as though I am getting a divorce, could this get messy? from what I have been warned/told about 1&1 I am a bit nervous.
08-19-2012, 06:18 AM

Submit a ticket verifying the cancellation of your account.
Mention that your domains have been transferred to Namecheap, and ask why the domains are still shown in the 1&1 interface.

That's what I'd do.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Today, I got this reply from 1&1, There was this message for all 3 of my domain names.

Quote:
Dear Sossity Corby,
You requested to transfer your domain sossitycorby.com and 1&1 name server settings to a new provider. This domain is now listed at 1&1 as an "external domain" and the domain status is also currently designated "external domain" in the Control Panel. You will still be able to access the contents of your web space and e-mail addresses at 1&1 via this domain sossitycorby.com, provided the 1&1 domain name server settings transferred to your new provider remain unchanged. Please note that this service is free of charge and the domain sossitycorby.com will no longer incur any further fees at 1&1. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.

does this mean that everything/ the transfer is complete from both sides? do I need to do anything else?
08-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I don't really know what that's supposed to mean. All I read is "blah blah blah".
They've invested terms like "external domain" which matches their nonsense custom panel's gibberish jargon.

Do you have hosting there? If so, is there a site actually hosted there?
Or maybe you had/have a hsoting account, and either didn't know or, or for some reason didn't use it?

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

I was only registered with 1&1, I did not do any hosting with them. I logged into my account, & looked at my domains in the control panel.

after each of my 3 domain names, It goes;
type: external domain
destination: webspace
auto renewal: blank with just a - mark
renewal/expiration date: blank with just a - mark

i am not sure how to interpret this, all I want to make sure is that they are completely transferred, & that 1&1 will not try to charge me now.
10-03-2012, 12:08 AM

1&1 is essentially acknowledging that the domain is registered elsewhere. So that's good.

But the rest of it ?! .... Very weird.
Your account essentially confirms that ... you don't have ... an account?

Hilarious. Ridiculous. And sadly, all too expected from 1&1.

I don't think they'll attempt to charge you for anything. Your non-account account confirms that you don't have any services.

10-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
I don't think they'll attempt to charge you for anything. Your non-account account confirms that you don't have any services.
Don't be so sure of that, formally close the account. 1&1 is notorious for charging for services one no longer has.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: kpmedia (10-03-2012)
10-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
Don't be so sure of that, formally close the account. 1&1 is notorious for charging for services one no longer has.
how do I go about formally closing the account? I want a clean break from them.
10-09-2012, 08:36 AM

The most you can do is send in a ticket to billing, requesting your entire account be closed/removed/deleted. If the 1&1 support system emails you a copy of that ticket, print it out, and put it in your file cabinet -- the same place you put all of your credit card statements for the card that was used there. It will serve as evidence of discontinuation of service, if needed later.

The biggest problem with 1&1 isn't their slow/oversold servers, but that their billing/admin departments are complete crap.

As far as I can tell, you have open-but-unused account. I have those at hosts myself. That's just a situation of them not purging you. In most cases, I went in and changed all of my information to dummy/fake info (John Smith, 123 Street St, LA CA 90210, 555-888-1212), deleted the credit cards on file, etc. Though I've not used 1&1 in years, I wouldn't be surprised if an account still existed.