Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-16-2014, 03:40 AM
Free Member

I am curious, if you don't mind me asking, which VPS do you use with EuroVPS? Ive been using your forum as a testing ground for my site where members can load up the site from various locations(UK, US, Canada, Australia, ETC, ETC) and they all seem pretty content.

I currently use Knownhost right now which is the host i was referring to in one of my many threads lol

I am curious to know which VPS plan you use? I am not sure how active your site is but mine has it's momentary spikes

My site in quesiton is chaosreads.com
running Xenforo

I currently use Knownhosts SSD 2 plan with 2 GB but i worry about CPU between Knownhost's and EuroVPS plans

Also would you recommend Litespeed? I use them and I notice a MAJOR difference on my forum with litespeed and without litespeed.

But someone is telling me to try nginx and varnish yet i hear bad things about nginx and i think i tried it beforehand once but the content on my site wasn't showing updated. Like it was still showing old posts even though new posts had been made.

So right now i am debating on the first SSD plan or the second one

and then i am confused by Pure SSD and SSD cache and should i just go Cache/accelerated or stick with what i have now which is Pure SSD and get that With Euro.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-16-2014, 04:06 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
which VPS do you use with EuroVPS
This site is actually not run from a VPS, but a managed dedicated server.

HOWEVER...

It's an older dedicated system that would be comparable to their current enterprise-grade cloud infrastructure VPS offerings. It would be closest to VS2-SSD, the 4gb VPS for €80. The dedicated server still has more I/O and HDD space, and the CPU has more cores. RAM never really hits above 3gb, so more RAM is really not needed.

This site is heavily cached, using multiple cache methods at both the server level (webserver AND scripting languages) and app level. We've also heavily modified the code of the server and apps. Nothing is stock, nothing is default. To get it to perform this well took lots of effort. I like the current hardware it's on, so don't have any desired to change -- even if a better upgrade existed for the same amount. It "ain't broke", and we don't have time to needless "fix" it.

AND...

We also have a 2gb VPS with EuroVPS used for our satellite projects. I have zero complaints about that one.

Yet another is for backup of all servers.

And then one more for dev testing panels and code.

We wouldn't have multiple servers if that host wasn't one of the best around.

Quote:
CPU between Knownhost's and EuroVPS plans
Knownhost uses Virtuozzo. It's container based virtualization, and CPU is "fair share". It's not yours. VZ has a chronic issue with CPU abuse, as that's how 2000s VPS were. But now, better tech exists -- Xen, VMware, Hyper-V, KVM. Not containers, but true virtualization. These allows dedicated CPU specs, not "fair share" (shared!) processor. It's yours, the end.

Now, Knownhost is one of the few excellent Virtuozzo hosts that closely monitor their CPU for abuse. However, in my opinion, it's wasted effort -- they should have to. CPU sharing is so last decade.

Neither host is a bad choice. I just think EuroVPS is better if you're concerned about hardware specs.

Quote:
would you recommend Litespeed?
No -- not unless you're a host. Apache 2.4 reverse proxied to nginx with Varnish cache can be much faster. LiteSpeed is better than stock Apache, but it's had a hard time keeping up with nginx request benchmarks. The caching abilities of Varnish can also be better, depending on setup.

The biggest issue is cost vs. work.
- nginx, Varnish = no cost*, but more work
- LiteSpeed = no work, but monthly license cost

** If using the Unixy cPanel Varnish plugin, it has a one-time or leased cost. And I suggest this.

Another option is forget Linux altogether -- use Windows IIS 7 or IIS 8 with wincache.

Most nginx issues are really just user issues -- something was not set up correctly, or the configuration were left as defaults (and it really need to be changed based on the server and app code).

Quote:
Pure SSD and SSD cache and should i just go Cache/accelerated or stick with what i have now which is Pure SSD
You won't really notice a difference. To me, SSD is like putting a spoiler/fin on the back of your car. It will help, but only in the right circumstance. Simply having is there doesn't make is automatically go faster.

Quote:
I am not sure how active your site is
It gets a lot of daily traffic, and can spike hard when featured on news sites, law enforcement seminars, or even plain ol' Digg or Slashdot, etc. The small spikes are why we upgrade from shared many years ago, and the large spikes caused us to jump from VPS to dedicated.

I think you'd be perfectly fine with the 2gb EuroVPS plan.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-16-2014, 06:08 AM
Free Member

Good explanation
Would you recommend the 2 GB SSD or SSD Cache Plan? Or it doesn't matter much.....
08-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I think all of the EuroVPS plans have moved to pure SSD.

SSD caching is usually drives (hopefully RAID-10 15k SAS drives) with on-disk SSD cache instead of the old-style cache from the pre-SSD days. I think SSD caching is helpful, but it only really matters as the drive fills up more.

The way some virtualization exists now also makes that somewhat moot. Instead of random use, you allows a stripe of the disk. Note that this method also prevents overselling. I believe EuroVPS was looking into this at one point, but not sure where that went. (They've given some interesting talks at conferences in the past, and I watched a few online.) This is more trivia for you than anything else.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.