Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Free Member

I've been on a reseller plan with a decent host and I think I'm ready for a VPS. I say that not because I'm outgrowing space but b/c of late some network issues and mysql issues have been causing my sites to go down. Since I charge my web design clients for hosting I feel I owe it to them and myself to at the very least have dedicated resources available.

Is that a good enough reason to want a VPS?

Assuming VPS makes sense, I've been going back and forth between KnownHost and Liquid Web. KH has been very responsive to my initial requests for more info, have a great reputation, are on the top VPS list and the pricing is right. But I'm a bit concerned that they use old technology with Virtuozzo.

Liquid Web on the other hand uses newer technology but I've been hearing bad things on the forums about their support ever since they took over WiredTree.

I've always appreciated your input. Do you have any suggestions?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Which specific plans are you looking at?
It does matter, when we dig deeper into the technologies in use.

Do you have any idea what was causing the MySQL problems? Simple issue of not enough concurrent connections allowed?

Let's start there.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Free Member

For KH I was looking at the SSD-3 which is 4.5GB RAM, 75 GB SSD. I found a Liquid Web promo where they are offering 4GB RAM, 4 vCPUs, 75 GB SSD.

I think we should throw VeeroTech in the mix b/c they're also on your top list and you've spoke highly about them in other threads. They have a 80 GB SSD, 2 vCPU Core, 4GB RAM.

All are close in terms of price.

And a correction on my part, KH uses OpenVZ.

I don't know what was causing the MySQL problems. I know it wasn't related to any of my accounts but the host was kind of vague in terms of what the exact issue was and I didn't press them on it.
12-07-2017, 06:43 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Yes, you can go with VPS server but you have to manage it yourself. So you require good knowledge of it.

On the other hand, i am also a customer of liquid web, their services are quite good.
02-07-2018, 11:09 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Revisiting this old post...

VPS is not really about power, but control. (Power = more space, more CPU, more RAM, speed, etc.) And if you have the admin skills needed, it can be a good step. Then you're the decider on what the server uses (php versions, MySQL vs MariaDB vs Percone, cache types, CloudLinux limits, etc), and not at the whim of the host. But it all goes back to whether you need the power -- and the HASSLE! -- of admin'ing your iown system. And yes, even when managed, you need to know what do do. Even proactively managed hosts don't really take it upon themselves to optimize your LAMP stack, etc.

Note that a shared/reseller host (hopefully) optimized their servers already. You're just a resident on the box. A new VPS or dedicated has almost zero optimizations. So yes, that means sites on a VPS/dedi can actually run slower than a good shared/reseller account.

Things like OpenVZ vs Virtuozzo (or Xen, KVM, HyperV, etc) also considerations, making a decision more complex. But know that all are generally fine, aside from OpenVZ, which is ancient and not true VM isolation.

You were looking at 3 excellent hosts: Veerotech, LiquidWeb, Knownhost. And, of course, the quality of the host also matters.

The LiquidWeb/WiredTree debacle of 2017 is essentially over, and has been for months. The WT hand-off to LW was botched, and LW got the blame for it. Simple as that. It's so sad how many formerly good hosts have crumbled when bought out. Sometimes it's the new host at fault, sometimes the old.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-28-2018, 02:48 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

There are few more good providers here you can consider. okayservers.com, ovh.net, hostingsource.com.
Closed Thread