Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Website and Server Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

In my Web coding class, we are working on the zen garden project where we use the html from the site, do not alter it, & make it our own using css, meaning we have to do all our customizations through the css only.

I wanted to have an image at the top of my page where the header 1 is, but I cannot use the "image source" type code in the html part, I have to get the image to show up only through code in the css. I did alter the html code to get my image to show up, it was the only way I could, but this is directly against the project guidelines.

I am having trouble getting this to work, I tried writing some code in my project css for the image, but it does not work.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I think you'll have to add a background call to a CSS element, or completely rethink how the CSS is done, as opposed to use the current ZenGarden CSS file as a template. Probably a body background.

Sometimes exercises like these are stupid, because the HTML is a limiter. Anybody that thinks "everything" can be done is CSS is a moron. Acknowledging this, it might mean you have to re-think your design to fit the limits of the HTML, as opposed to creating a design in your head, and then trying to force it into the limited HTML coding.

It would be easier to help if I saw a Photoshop mockup, combined with code attempted thus far. Start a new thread in the Premium Member forum, so that your instructor can't find out who you are, should he/she look online (unless he/she pays $20 to join). I'm not going to help you "cheat" or anything, but I don't see any harm in teaching you how to overcome one tiny hurdle on a project. You could spend 30 hours on this, and 10 on the rest -- but you may not have 40 hours to dedicate. Not a good use of your time. If nothing else, I can tell you if the design is feasible to do within the HTML limits. Maybe give a nudge on the right place to put some CSS.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.