Quantcast For sale: JVC HR-S9600U - digitalFAQ Forum
  #1  
06-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Intergalactic Pancakes Intergalactic Pancakes is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased this unit in 2016 on this forum when I was capturing my collection to digital, now I have no real need for it. I didn't use it very often, preferring my Panasonic (and eventually I was getting tired of playing musical VCRs ), and it has mainly just been sitting in a box for the past 2ish years. If it does not sell here it will probably make its way to eBay.

Cosmetically: It has some noticeable wear. Scratches/scuffing mostly on the top panel, with some on the front panel/tape entry. There is a very little bit of sticker residue on the top left of the front panel (will probably come off with Goo-Gone or something similar).

All functions are operable as far as I can tell, including the remote control. The few tapes I still have played fine. There are a few quirks I will mention:

- Sometimes it will not load tapes. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the transport or something, but I don't know how to fix it if there is an issue, so I'm leaving it as is. It has only happened to me a few times with specific tapes. I recorded a video exhibiting this with one of the tapes I have had trouble with - at first not accepting the tape, and then accepting it on the second try. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ZC...ature=youtu.be)


^^^EDIT (info from lordsmurf): "That's very likely the dynamic drum failing in the unit. No way to fix it yet, no parts available. My 9800 got worse and worse at loading tapes, eventually shutting off if it did accept it. I have to open the deck now, and coax the gear into spinning, while pushing in the tape. It's a nasty process, and dangerous (to my fingers getting cut or smashed)."


- Sometimes the image "tears" on the top of the screen when playing a tape with the TBC turned on (although I believe this is a common issue with JVC S-VHS VCRs, at least the ones I have owned).

$265 shipped, PayPal/USA only please.

Last edited by Intergalactic Pancakes; 06-03-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
06-03-2019, 10:05 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,477
Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Pancakes View Post
- Sometimes it will not load tapes. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the transport or something, but I don't know how to fix it if there is an issue, so I'm leaving it as is. It has only happened to me a few times with specific tapes. I recorded a video exhibiting this with one of the tapes I have had trouble with - at first not accepting the tape, and then accepting it on the second try. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ZC...ature=youtu.be)
That's very likely the dynamic drum failing in the unit. No way to fix it yet, no parts available. My 9800 got worse and worse at loading tapes, eventually shutting off if it did accept it. I have to open the deck now, and coax the gear into spinning, while pushing in the tape. It's a nasty process, and dangerous (to my fingers getting cut or smashed).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
06-03-2019, 10:12 PM
Intergalactic Pancakes Intergalactic Pancakes is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
That's very likely the dynamic drum failing in the unit. No way to fix it yet, no parts available. My 9800 got worse and worse at loading tapes, eventually shutting off if it did accept it. I have to open the deck now, and coax the gear into spinning, while pushing in the tape. It's a nasty process, and dangerous (to my fingers getting cut or smashed).
Well that's a shame, but thank you for the valuable information. Will add to the post.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
06-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Sirworm Sirworm is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
That's very likely the dynamic drum failing in the unit. No way to fix it yet, no parts available. My 9800 got worse and worse at loading tapes, eventually shutting off if it did accept it. I have to open the deck now, and coax the gear into spinning, while pushing in the tape. It's a nasty process, and dangerous (to my fingers getting cut or smashed).
Approximately how many years did your DD start failing you? I know all DD's have different time ranges most likely (or similar), but I'm curious.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
06-04-2019, 07:28 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,477
Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirworm View Post
Approximately how many years did your DD start failing you? I know all DD's have different time ranges most likely (or similar), but I'm curious.
Well, it doesn't really matter, that's not how it works.

The DD issue is mostly design flaw, and materials flaw. The materials flaw degrades regardless of if the machine was used. The design flaws aspect mostly just accelerates the breakdown. I bought my main 9800 unit new from B&H around 1999. My unit crapped out around 2016.

I've had 9500, 9600, 9900, and 9911 as well. I know at least a few of the units I'd sold in years past are now defunct as well, same issue.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
06-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Sirworm Sirworm is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad wording on my part. Wish DDs were more utilized afterwards.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
06-06-2019, 02:21 PM
latreche34 latreche34 is online now
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 393
Thanked 37 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Well, it doesn't really matter, that's not how it works.

The DD issue is mostly design flaw, and materials flaw. The materials flaw degrades regardless of if the machine was used. The design flaws aspect mostly just accelerates the breakdown. I bought my main 9800 unit new from B&H around 1999. My unit crapped out around 2016.

I've had 9500, 9600, 9900, and 9911 as well. I know at least a few of the units I'd sold in years past are now defunct as well, same issue.
The DD system fix is here:
JVC dynamic drum ultimate repair mod!
Reply With Quote
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: captainvic (07-15-2019)
  #8  
06-28-2019, 05:23 PM
Intergalactic Pancakes Intergalactic Pancakes is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now listed on eBay. Starting bid $150/BIN $200 + $50 shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-HR-S960...C/153545811345
Reply With Quote
  #9  
07-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Intergalactic Pancakes Intergalactic Pancakes is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The unit has been sold.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
07-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Rhomboid Goatcabin Rhomboid Goatcabin is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lordsmurf,
I recently had similar symptoms with my HR-S9900U.
It lives in the bottom of a stack (though well ventilated w/tall 1" feet)

I purchased a new pair years ago and dreaded having to swap units.
As a last resort, I unplugged the unit, let it sit for 3 days, and powered it up.

It did respond....(as a new unit would, waiting for initializing all the settings...(time, vid calibration, digital R3,front/rear input...etc) and I was back in business.....
This process just might be worthy of a try...
Rhomboid Goatcabin
Reply With Quote
  #11  
07-15-2019, 12:17 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,477
Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhomboid Goatcabin View Post
Lordsmurf,
I recently had similar symptoms with my HR-S9900U.
It lives in the bottom of a stack (though well ventilated w/tall 1" feet)

I purchased a new pair years ago and dreaded having to swap units.
As a last resort, I unplugged the unit, let it sit for 3 days, and powered it up.

It did respond....(as a new unit would, waiting for initializing all the settings...(time, vid calibration, digital R3,front/rear input...etc) and I was back in business.....
This process just might be worthy of a try...
Rhomboid Goatcabin
That's essentially the old reboot "trick". But it either doesn't work, or only works temporarily. The gear eventually does wear to a point of no return. And the wear is time-based, not usage-based.

Been there, done that method.

But thanks for trying.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JVC HR-S9600U ghosting on edges with Calibration off? Wingzrow Capture, Record, Transfer 1 09-15-2018 06:54 AM
For Sale: Top of the Line JVC HR-S9600U [SOLD] deter Marketplace 2 12-07-2017 04:54 PM
JVC HR-S9600U rippling tapes? mrb5217 Video Hardware Repair 4 02-01-2017 07:56 PM
JVC VCR lot for sale: HR-S9911U, HR-S9600U, HR-S7600U [SOLD] Mejnour Marketplace 6 01-02-2016 04:45 PM
Wanted: I will buy JVC HR S9800U or JVC HR S9600U! Mariusz_Boguslaw Marketplace 0 11-15-2015 06:00 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM