06-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Free Member

I purchased this unit in 2016 on this forum when I was capturing my collection to digital, now I have no real need for it. I didn't use it very often, preferring my Panasonic (and eventually I was getting tired of playing musical VCRs ), and it has mainly just been sitting in a box for the past 2ish years. If it does not sell here it will probably make its way to eBay.

Cosmetically: It has some noticeable wear. Scratches/scuffing mostly on the top panel, with some on the front panel/tape entry. There is a very little bit of sticker residue on the top left of the front panel (will probably come off with Goo-Gone or something similar).

All functions are operable as far as I can tell, including the remote control. The few tapes I still have played fine. There are a few quirks I will mention:

- Sometimes it will not load tapes. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the transport or something, but I don't know how to fix it if there is an issue, so I'm leaving it as is. It has only happened to me a few times with specific tapes. I recorded a video exhibiting this with one of the tapes I have had trouble with - at first not accepting the tape, and then accepting it on the second try. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ZC...ature=youtu.be)

^^^EDIT (info from lordsmurf): "That's very likely the dynamic drum failing in the unit. No way to fix it yet, no parts available. My 9800 got worse and worse at loading tapes, eventually shutting off if it did accept it. I have to open the deck now, and coax the gear into spinning, while pushing in the tape. It's a nasty process, and dangerous (to my fingers getting cut or smashed)."

- Sometimes the image "tears" on the top of the screen when playing a tape with the TBC turned on (although I believe this is a common issue with JVC S-VHS VCRs, at least the ones I have owned).

$265 shipped, PayPal/USA only please.

Last edited by Intergalactic Pancakes; 06-03-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-03-2019, 10:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Pancakes View Post
- Sometimes it will not load tapes. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the transport or something, but I don't know how to fix it if there is an issue, so I'm leaving it as is. It has only happened to me a few times with specific tapes. I recorded a video exhibiting this with one of the tapes I have had trouble with - at first not accepting the tape, and then accepting it on the second try. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ZC...ature=youtu.be)
That's very likely the dynamic drum failing in the unit. No way to fix it yet, no parts available. My 9800 got worse and worse at loading tapes, eventually shutting off if it did accept it. I have to open the deck now, and coax the gear into spinning, while pushing in the tape. It's a nasty process, and dangerous (to my fingers getting cut or smashed).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-03-2019, 10:12 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
That's very likely the dynamic drum failing in the unit. No way to fix it yet, no parts available. My 9800 got worse and worse at loading tapes, eventually shutting off if it did accept it. I have to open the deck now, and coax the gear into spinning, while pushing in the tape. It's a nasty process, and dangerous (to my fingers getting cut or smashed).
Well that's a shame, but thank you for the valuable information. Will add to the post.
06-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Approximately how many years did your DD start failing you? I know all DD's have different time ranges most likely (or similar), but I'm curious.
06-04-2019, 07:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirworm View Post
Approximately how many years did your DD start failing you? I know all DD's have different time ranges most likely (or similar), but I'm curious.
Well, it doesn't really matter, that's not how it works.

The DD issue is mostly design flaw, and materials flaw. The materials flaw degrades regardless of if the machine was used. The design flaws aspect mostly just accelerates the breakdown. I bought my main 9800 unit new from B&H around 1999. My unit crapped out around 2016.

I've had 9500, 9600, 9900, and 9911 as well. I know at least a few of the units I'd sold in years past are now defunct as well, same issue.

06-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Free Member

Bad wording on my part. Wish DDs were more utilized afterwards.
06-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Well, it doesn't really matter, that's not how it works.

The DD issue is mostly design flaw, and materials flaw. The materials flaw degrades regardless of if the machine was used. The design flaws aspect mostly just accelerates the breakdown. I bought my main 9800 unit new from B&H around 1999. My unit crapped out around 2016.

I've had 9500, 9600, 9900, and 9911 as well. I know at least a few of the units I'd sold in years past are now defunct as well, same issue.
The DD system fix is here:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...html#post61955
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: captainvic (07-15-2019)
06-28-2019, 05:23 PM
Free Member

Now listed on eBay. Starting bid $150/BIN $200 + $50 shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-HR-S960...C/153545811345
07-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Free Member

The unit has been sold.
07-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Free Member

Lordsmurf,
I recently had similar symptoms with my HR-S9900U.
It lives in the bottom of a stack (though well ventilated w/tall 1" feet)

I purchased a new pair years ago and dreaded having to swap units.
As a last resort, I unplugged the unit, let it sit for 3 days, and powered it up.

It did respond....(as a new unit would, waiting for initializing all the settings...(time, vid calibration, digital R3,front/rear input...etc) and I was back in business.....
This process just might be worthy of a try...
Rhomboid Goatcabin
07-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhomboid Goatcabin View Post
Lordsmurf,
I recently had similar symptoms with my HR-S9900U.
It lives in the bottom of a stack (though well ventilated w/tall 1" feet)

I purchased a new pair years ago and dreaded having to swap units.
As a last resort, I unplugged the unit, let it sit for 3 days, and powered it up.

It did respond....(as a new unit would, waiting for initializing all the settings...(time, vid calibration, digital R3,front/rear input...etc) and I was back in business.....
This process just might be worthy of a try...
Rhomboid Goatcabin
That's essentially the old reboot "trick". But it either doesn't work, or only works temporarily. The gear eventually does wear to a point of no return. And the wear is time-based, not usage-based.

Been there, done that method.

But thanks for trying.