Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I have some CDs and DVDs in trouble, I'll post the photos and would like to know the cause of these problems

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-01-07 17.21.40.jpg (46.9 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2014-01-07 17.34.39 Maykon também.jpg (30.0 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2014-01-07 17.35.40(1).jpg (43.5 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2014-01-12 06.51.08.jpg (58.2 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg Maykon também CD atravessou.jpg (29.9 KB, 7 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Free Member

the CD-R that has a clear spot is junk.
CD's have a foil layer that is basically unprotected - solvents , abrasives, UV exposure etc can damage that
the foil is where the data is burned- there is no fixing that disk
DVD's are much more robust as the dye layer is sealed in polycarbonate.
i never use CD's anymore- even the stereo in my truck uses flash memory cards for MP3's
01-25-2014, 08:17 AM

thanks for your explanation, you said that the CD-R is more unprotected but in one of the photos I posted is problem on a DVD-R T.W. Universal, I thought it was strange because the DVD to be safer

I would like to describe the cause of each problem because they are different photos
01-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Free Member

the one with the clear spot is a CD
the photos of DVD are different issues
the one with the small spot may be a manufacturing defect
the the one with lots of tiny spots perhaps may have have had a liquid solvent sprayed on it.
01-25-2014, 08:55 AM

thank you for help

1 a picture is a cd or dvd with several small spots

2 DVDs with corrosion or transparent stain spirally

3 cd-r multilaser with eroded reflective layer inside the outer edge of the disc

4 two dark spots in the top layer dvd T. W. universal

5 hole on cd-r multilaser

all this is problem in media of low quality? I think this is some fungus but I do not understand anything of attack of fungus on optical media
01-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Free Member

they gave you a 2nd chance, but if you continue with this fungus BS you will be banned again.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS DVD FUNGUS!!!!!

buy only Mitsubishi-verbatuim or JVC disks and you wont have a problem
01-25-2014, 10:14 AM

guy, I do not wanna be banned again but I have doubts about this fungus and I'm worried, I do not have another forum to help me on this matter so I ask you to understand my doubts

I'm not with anyone of trolling, I'm being honest with you
01-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
but I have doubts about this fungus
Yes, and some people have doubts about outer space aliens giving them anal probes when they fall asleep. But it's all non-sense.

You need to use proven science, and follow the most logical conclusions. There's no proven case of DVD fungus, only a few isolated CD issues from a decade ago. So that's not going to be it. There's several other far-more-likely issues with the discs you have. Since these are cheap discs, manufacturer defects are more likely.

The first "T.W.Universal" (image 2) disc is poor bonding, resulting in a rainbowing of the due. Oxygen has hit it.

The second "T.W.Universal" (image 3) disc appears to be imperfections in the sputtered foil. It was always that way, and is a manufacturer imperfection. This may have no effected on the media, or it may cause a bad spot. I'd never know, because not once have you posts a scan of any kind.

If the media so concerns you, import some good discs online. Or just don't use discs, and use hard drives or solid-state storage.

If we have to waste any more time talking about fungus, yes, you'll be banned.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-25-2014, 05:34 PM

thanks for the help but need not be so strict to the point of banning me, I need to clarify this

not is a waste of time talking about fungi in optical media guy and do not know why you bother committee about to ban a User, you see : My friend has a dvd disc of EcoPrint brand and this dvd has the same problem dvd Universal TW and this dvd that him appearing something that closely resembles a CD with geotrichum , photo fungus : http://www.oocities.org/geo_info/geo...ch/geotri4.jpg veins appear on the disc and I put this it on my hard drive and was wondering if this will cause contamination of the drive tray and I put any disc in tray
01-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Lots of people think they see Jesus in pieces of toast, too, but that's not what it is. It may look like X (fungus, Jesus), but it's really Y. Your observation is simply incorrect. For one, you're not an expert in optical media, so you don't really know what you're looking at. It's not fungus in the DVD -- or a Jesus image -- but simply is a defect as noted. Most of storage/handling issues -- the damaged foil and lacquer on the CDs.

I've seen far weirder errors than this. Several looked more like fungus than this. (But they weren't.)

The simple solution is to:
(1) Buy better discs
(2) Quit using discs. Use hard drives instead.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-29-2014, 09:33 AM

kpmedia thanks for your help and for sharing your experience with me , I ask that you please be patient with me

1 you saw the picture I posted of a disc that would possibly have the fungus Geotrichum ? I wanted you to explain to me what that is because I do not understand mycology and I have a similar disk with this site that I will get you : http://www.oocities.org/geo_info/geo...h/geotrich.htm

2 enjoying the thread you could explain to me about the dyes used in CDR and DVDR? the dye used is the main responsible for the factor of long life of the disc? I have CDR Smartbuy and DVD+R 16x Philips and Verbatim DVD-R, is true Cyanine is that bad dye little resistant to high temperature and humidity and fragile sunlight? AZO is the best to be tougher?

thanks help
01-29-2014, 09:48 AM

1. We're done with talks of fungus now. No more of that.

2. "Philips" is CMC media, and it can vary. It's not cyanine. It's most likely an azoic dye. It doesn't matter as much, when it comes to CMC. That company cuts corners, and has lots of quality issues. If the media burns fine, it's fine. But getting that initial burn is often the problem. Lots of coasters from CMC, lots of marginal-quality burns. Still not as bad as now-gone Ritek dyes (not Fuji dyes).

Again, buy better discs.

We're already answered these questions before for you.

01-29-2014, 09:58 AM

1 I better stop talking about fungus if I'm not banned again and did not want it because I have other questions to clarify with you

2 I have many DVD + R 16x Philips manufactured by CMC Magnetics ( CMC MAG M01 ) discs have purple color , all discs were well burned ok and all discs passed 100 % good in ScanDisc of the nero DiscSpeed ​​, I had come into contact with CMC and at first they had been told that the AZO dye was but then they said the Cyanine dye was then that I never got in contact with them if these discs actually have the dye Cyanine they will be somewhat durable and will lose all files burned in a few years ?

I always look good discs here but do not have
01-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Free Member

your local store may not have them, but should be able to order the good disks online
i last bought Mitsubishi-Verbatim from Amazon
01-29-2014, 05:53 PM

1 if I buy the disc online the price will stay high so I always tried here in my town and not found sony, verbatim, jvc but I'll keep looking until you find them, Mitsui MAM-A discs are good and durable? has a website here with these disks

2, the dye used in CDR and DVDR, the dye is used which determines the durability of a disc? if my Philips DVD CMC is Cyanine dye is bad and this little durable and AZO is more durable?
01-31-2014, 05:40 AM

Price is not that much higher for good discs, especially when considering the negative ecomics from coasters (bad discs), and the nuisance from lower class discs. I, too, must buy media online, and not locally. Everything local is crap. Amazon ships to most countries. The problem may be that you're trying to buy cheap media, and there's a reason it's cheap!

The "durabilty" of a disc is based on multiple factors. Dye is one, yes, but it's not a factor that can be taken alone. The whole disc matters. Bad discs can use azoic dyes too, though admittedly not as common as other dyes.

01-31-2014, 05:45 AM

You let me know what is the dye used in my Philips DVD + R 16x manufactured by CMC? and azo or Cyanine? the clerk of the CMC could not tell me the dye used, first he said it was AZO and then he said he is Cyanine

that my disc has a purple color
01-31-2014, 06:09 AM

It's not cyanime. That's rare for DVD. CMC used to be a custom mix of organics years ago, but ever since Mitsubishi took them under their wing way back in 2004, it's all been azoic dyes to my knowledge. Not that it really matters, of course, as CMC quality control is a joke.

However, that said, if it burned fine, it's usually fine. The initial burn, not making a coaster, is the hard part.

Make sure it's a name brand too. That makes some difference too. Not that name-brand media is good, but rather that no-name media is even crappier.

You just need to buy better discs, and there's no way around this fact. You can discuss media all you want, but it won't change the fact that not-good media is still not good.

01-31-2014, 06:16 AM

thank kpmedia

The clerk of the CMC was wrong in saying that the DVD + R 16x Philips wore Cyanine dye ? I realize that you have more knowledge than him, he told me that the CMC discs used AZO up to speed 8x , 8x up he said it was Cyanine DVD + R and he said that CMC manufactures consumer -grade DVD with life 30 years under normal conditions
02-01-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I realize that you have more knowledge than him,
That's almost an understatement considering this...

Quote:
he told me that the CMC discs used AZO up to speed 8x , 8x up he said it was Cyanine DVD + R
That's just stupid.

The dye is a chemical on the disc. It doesn't at all change. It's impossible. It's either one or the other. But as I've already said, it's not cyanine, and is likely a version of azo (azoic dye). More info at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azo_compound

Quote:
and he said that CMC manufactures consumer -grade DVD with life 30 years under normal conditions
This part is probably pretty accurate. It should last decades at minimum. But again, for the zillionth time, only if the initial burn is good. With CMC media, that's the hard part. There's lots of coasters with that media.

Tags
problems discs