Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-17-2023, 05:02 PM
Free Member

I recently got a JVC HR-S8960E SVHS recorder with internal TBC
and 6 years ago I got this cheap USB capture device
CLS USB 2 grabber
https://www.amazon.de/CSL-Zubeh%C3%B...s%2C106&sr=8-3

I don't think it delivers the best quality but I can't tell since I haven't seen others yet. (and I don't know if all USB capture sticks that are available these days use the same chips anyway)
I'm using a laptop to capture so I'm looking for USB capture devices.
Are there any better devices - regarding better quality - available for windows 11?
I want to capture lossles in Virtualdub (4:2:2)
I've read the posts of lordsmurf but I can't seem to find any of the recommended devices on Amazon in 2023 neither would most of them work with Win11, I suppose.

Thanks for any advice!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-17-2023, 06:55 PM
Free Member

I am using the "legacy" Tevion USB in Windows 10, with the Vidbox NW03 driver. I have no complaints.
Members would be keen, I think, to know if the old trusty Tevion works on W11.
Do not fall for the other crappy Tevions.
12-19-2023, 06:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,463 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannesK View Post
CLS USB 2 grabber
https://www.amazon.de/CSL-Zubeh%C3%B.../dp/B00EOSCG7Y
I don't think it delivers the best quality but I can't tell since I haven't seen others yet.
That's a typical Easycap. Junk.

Quote:
(and I don't know if all USB capture sticks that are available these days use the same chips anyway)
No.

Quote:
Are there any better devices - regarding better quality -
Yes.

Quote:
available for windows 11?
Not really. The same card will work on one system, but not the next. Win11 driver conflicts exist, similar to how Win10 had so many Nvidia issues. Common hardware, thus common problems. Nvidia doesn't care about a SD capture card for the 00s or 10s.

Quote:
but I can't seem to find any of the recommended devices on Amazon in 2023 neither would most of them work with Win11, I suppose.
Capturing videotapes was a 2000s task, and it's now the 2020s. What we have left is legacy hardware that needs a legacy OS, Chinese USB crap, and HD cards that "also do" SD quite poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTheCrab View Post
I am using the "legacy" Tevion USB in Windows 10, with the Vidbox NW03 driver. I have no complaints.
Members would be keen, I think, to know if the old trusty Tevion works on W11.
I'll test this next week.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-19-2023, 06:27 AM
Free Member

Thanks a lot for your response lordsmurf and thank you Barry too.

I checked the drivers of my CLS USB device and you are right, it's Easycrap.

I totally understand that I would need to set up a legacy PC with Win XP. I know I should but I do not want to go that length to be honest.

Do you think trying the Hauppauge USB Live 2 is a step up from what I have and worth a try?
https://www.amazon.de/Hauppauge-USB-.../dp/B003Q2ZA36
I read that it works under Win11 (in general).

Thanks a lot for sharing your expertise.
12-19-2023, 07:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

If you don't have a frame TBC, or even a non-TBC frame sync, that's a complete dead end. It's a touchy card. It's just as old as everything else, from the 00s. Hauppauge hasn't updated (truly updated) drvers for it in years. Install requires ignoring Win10/11 security warnings, and even then it can fail to function correctly.

FYI, Win11 likes to "do stuff" in the background, such as phone home (especially to Microsoft Update, the built-in anti-malware, etc), and that will cause dropped frames. It pisses me off even on my non-capture system, sudden CPU and RAM spikes.

Let me test the ATI clone this weekend, or next week.

12-19-2023, 07:23 AM
Free Member

Thanks, understood.

Yes, please let me know if the Tevion ATI clone works.
Thanks a lot.
12-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Free Member

My experience with the Tevion on Win10 was that it didn't preserve the interlacing and did some sort of internal deinterlacing that I could not find a way to change. Could just be some sort of incompatibility with OBS, but other cards like the GV-USB2 did output interlaced correctly there.

This review is pretty good on the StarTech and apparently it's sharper than the GV-USB2 - just jump to the 6 minute mark for the actual review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcpbnU63_kY

The Startech also seems to maybe not allow interlaced captures though, so something to be aware of.

Could be that OBS specifically is the issue there and it's possible that virtualdub may allow interlaced while OBS does not by default.
12-20-2023, 04:25 AM
Free Member

Thanks aram, but in the Amazon reviews I read that the "dongly" StarTech drivers do not work with Win11 either.

I got my CLS USB device to work by disabling "Core isolation" in Win11 - that allowed me to install the old drivers. Maybe that helps with other devices too.

-- merged --

Guys, I just compared the CSL USB Grabber that I mentioned in my first post, with the Hauppauge USB Live 2.
See the attached image.
Upper left is the Hauppauge, top middle is the CSL. The source is an SVHS tape played with a JVC 8960 (with internal line TBC). Captured with VirtualDub, PAL, no color conversions of any sort.

Bottom row: Middle: Same content that I captured 3 years ago with the CSL device, played from the Panasonic SVHS Camcorder that was originally used to film the material.
Right: forget about that one but I just wanted to see how good/bad the end result is of my processing that I did 3 years ago.

Any comments are welcome.
From the 3 versions (Hauppauge, CSL with JVC and with Panasonic camcorder) the colors of the Hauppauge look best. What is your expert opinion?

P.s.: I have added 2 more scenes for better comparison.
I cannot guarantee that I got exactly the same frame (same field) in all still images.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GrabberComparison2.jpg (79.9 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg GrabberComparison_Scene2.jpg (99.3 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg GrabberComparison_Scene3.jpg (77.2 KB, 7 downloads)
12-21-2023, 08:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
My experience with the Tevion on Win10 was that it didn't preserve the interlacing Could just be some sort of incompatibility with OBS,
Correct, OBS is the problem here. OBS is digital streaming "broadcast" (not really) software. It's not SD analog ingest/capture software. It should never be used for this sort of task. And no, I don't care about "well it sees the card", because it's treating the card like a webcam.

Yes, both are video, but then so are the cameras that doctor have you swallow for digestive exams (and you later poop out). Sometimes "video" isn't "video", very wide arena.

That said, I'll be sure to deep inspect the Tevion ATI clone when I run it on Win10 and Win11 next week, and using various drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannesK View Post
Any comments are welcome.
What is your expert opinion?
P.s.: I have added 2 more scenes for better comparison.
You were snared by the forum max allowed pixel length, so now the images are way too small to see. Try again, but stack vertical. This will be resolved in the forum upgrade early next year.

12-21-2023, 09:43 AM
Free Member

Ok, let's try again. Hope this time works.

Comparison of the Hauppauge USB Live 2 with the CSL USB Grabber.
Top: Hauppauge, source is SVHS-C tape played with a JVC 8960 (with internal line TBC)
Middle: CSL USB grabber (EasyCap), same source, same JVC recorder
Bottom: CSL USB grabber, same source, played by the Panasonic SVHC camcorder that originally recorded the tape

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grabber_Comparison1.jpg (217.4 KB, 18 downloads)
File Type: jpg Grabber_Comparison2.jpg (204.6 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg Grabber_Comparison3.jpg (163.1 KB, 8 downloads)
12-21-2023, 09:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Yes, Hauppauge best here -- others are mushy, blow out -- but all 3 are blah. Not sure how much is the source at fault here.

12-21-2023, 09:55 AM
Free Member

I added 2 more scenes - same tape - see above.

Yes, the Hauppauge is best. The tapes are from 1993, maybe played 3 times, if at all, so in a fresh condition. The camcorder is a Panasonic Palmcorder X16. Can't change the quality of the source... have lots of holiday videos like that.

Any recommendations how to process them? based on the Hauppauge capture.

Tags
svhs, usb capture, windows 11