Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-17-2023, 01:27 PM
Free Member

I'm currently using Verbatim's Phthalocyanine based "UltraLife Gold Archival Grade CD-R" but, that was the first thing I found. Now I'm genuinely wondering what the best is.

I transferred a couple LaserDisc soundtracks via SP/DIF and I want to put them on the nicest CD-R I can find but, what are those in 2023? The DVD guide here https://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm ... is nice to have for archive.org but, unfortunately most of the info is now irrelevant and it never was comprehensive for CD-R.

I have some older CD-Rs to compare, these were in a box stored in an outdoor storage unit...

- reads perfect: 2 VCD set of Verbatim SuperBlue (R.I.P.) AZO (thermal white) for the original "X-Men" from 2000.
- ~45% degraded: 2 SVCD set of Taiyo Yuden Cyanine (white label) of "Spider-Man" from 2002.
- ~55% degraded: 2 SVCD set of Taiyo Yuden Cyanine (brown label) of "The Faimly Man" from 2000.
- reads perfect: 2 SVCD set of Regular Verbatim Blue Super AZO (thermal white) of "Shrek" from 2001.
- reads O.K.: Ricoh Phthalocyanine (white, index print) storing a PSX game called "Twisted Metal 2" from 1996. Could of been a bad burn though... no idea (also, the bottom is red'ish in color, seems like the oldest CD-R).

I also have/had various Maxwell, TDK, Pioneer etc. that all seem readable, although I didn't try them all. However, some of the Pioneer and Maxwell appear to be shifting just a little in color. The worst of all of them is the Taiyo Yuden's but they do appear to be degraded evenly, if that matters :-/. I lived through the PSX, S/VCD, Dreamcast era with multiple burners so while I'm sure some of you have burned more discs than me, I still have burned several thousand CD-Rs. I'm surprised that the Yuden's degraded and that both the "SuperBlue" and Blue verbatim AZO's are still perfectly readable. The SuperBlue's only existed for about 3 months in late 1999 before California had a problem with them and so they just stop making them. The original Blue's were made for a while longer, I think up until ~2003 or so (I had stopped burning CD's by then). The brown label Cyanine based Yuden's are the really old ones, the ones that came with that (very large) SCSI Phillips writer... can't find it's name. The white label Yuden's are the "newer" ones, at least they were the latest in 2002. The Ricoh CD-R might somehow be even older than the brown label Yuden and for some reason they actually have "SCSI" printed on them (not sure what that 's about).

Contrary to many, many peoples opinions, I don't think I'll ever try Taiyo Yuden's again, the degradation is horrible :-/.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors