Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-10-2022, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

I've searched and crawled through forum posts regarding this topic and thought I'd post/bump the spirit of several past threads for myself and anyone going forward 2023. I'm looking for S-Video cables for my workflow.

In the past, Pearstone, BlueJeans, and I want to say more polarizing, Monoprice (which I don't think they even sell regular s-video cables any longer), have been recommended, but I guess this has always been a polarizing topic-- cables. Do these old recommendations still live up? I yet again came across another useful Saylyn post I thought was helpful in this idea that it comes down to mostly two groups of people regarding cables:
  • Group A, thinking cables are mostly alike and that it doesn't matter
  • Group B, that cables are not alike.
These days, doing a search for "recommended s-video cables" it's actually hard to find as most searches have been bogged up by the resurgence of retro gamers looking to output to s-video, but custom/not a typical s-video cable as they are for retro console use. Either way, you're probably going to get redirected to their posts. That being said, I figure most people will not need more/new s-video cables as they already plenty. I only had one suspicious one, so I'm actually going to buy one these options unless someone points better in my direction.

This is the option I was considering the most (none of these are affiliate links btw):I cannot speak for any of these S-Video Options. People have pointed out that expensive doesn't always mean better (sometimes quite the opposite) I just thought I'd share results that I found for interest going into 2023 as far as s-video cables are concerned. I'm going to ignore the all obvious Amazon search'd option unless it's a standout.
The following users thank sephi for this useful post: Jbress (02-17-2024)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-10-2022, 08:09 PM
Free Member

New old stock Monster cable from the 2000's and 2010's.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
12-11-2022, 08:16 AM
Free Member

This may not mean much to the group here, but Amphenol is a well-regarded brand/vendor in the land mobile radio world. Pretty good chance you'd find Amphenol connectors and cabling on radio equipment in fighter jets and radar equipment, etc.
12-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Free Member

FWIW it looks to me like the
"AMPHENOL AV-SVHSDL4MMA-010 PREMIUM DOUBLE SHIELDED S-VIDEO (S-VHS) CABLE - 75 OHM DUAL COAX WITH 24K GOLD S-VIDEO CONNECTORS"
is a discontinued product. No big surprise given that s-video has pretty much disappeared from current TVs, DVD/Bluray players, etc. You might find some old stock somewhere in the distribution chain.

Amphenol was a reputable manufacturer of commercial/industrial and military connectors. Don't know if their consumer applicaton lines were as good.

In general, use the shortest cable you can for the application. Long cables are more prone to pickup interference.
12-22-2022, 03:01 PM
Free Member

Blue Jeans Cables are pricey but tend to be overbuilt and I've always received what they list on their product page. Amazon cables are hit and miss and will advertise a certain gauge wire or certain connector and it rarely matches what you receive.

S-Video Cables at Blue Jeans Cable