Quantcast Need a lossless YUY2 codec that works with Adobe Premiere 64-bit - digitalFAQ Forum
Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
04-07-2015, 04:21 PM
hysteriah hysteriah is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 141
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi guys. I really need a good lossless codec that will work with 64-bit Version of Adobe Premiere CS5 or newer. HuffYUV does only work with older 32-bit Versions of Adobe Premiere (CS4 or older) and lagarith gives me corrupt frames from time time (see attachments).

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the "UT Video Codec", but I don't think it works with YUY2 color space?

Does anyone know of a good and reliable codec that works well with Adobe Premiere 64-bit? It doesn't have to be freeware


Attached Images
File Type: jpg lagarith error 1.jpg (114.3 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg lagarith error 2.jpg (177.7 KB, 7 downloads)
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
04-07-2015, 07:36 PM
sanlyn sanlyn is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N. Carolina and NY, USA
Posts: 3,448
Thanked 1,075 Times in 895 Posts
You need 64-bit huff for 64-bit apps.
Others and I seem to use huffyuv and Lagarith with Premiere and AfterEffects without problems. You can try the UT Lossless Video codec, though it's not fast enough for capture. I have a suspicion you might have some trouble with that, too, if neither huff norLagarith will work. But you can try it. No cost. Maybe something wrong with your Adobe install?

What tasks are you trying to run with Premiere?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
04-08-2015, 03:37 AM
hysteriah hysteriah is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 141
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, sanlyn

I have tried the 64-bit version of HuffYUV. It doesn't work with Premiere. I even formated my harddrive yesterday and made a clean install of Windows and Adobe CS5.5. No luck! When importing HuffYUV files to Premiere, all I get is the audio. No video ...and HuffYUV doesn't show up in the codec list on export settings I have searched all over the Internet and found tons of forum-threads that claims HuffYUV is not working on 64-bit version of Adobe Premiere, but no solution. So sanlyn, If you have managed to make it work properly, can you please tell me how?

When it comes to Lagarith, the decoder is known to randomly corrupt frames in the decoded output for no particular reason from time to time, maybe just on Windows 7 64-bit systems. No solution to that either

I'm gonna try the UT Lossless Video codec now.
Hope it works better than the others...

THANKS

Last edited by hysteriah; 04-08-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
04-08-2015, 07:12 AM
sanlyn sanlyn is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N. Carolina and NY, USA
Posts: 3,448
Thanked 1,075 Times in 895 Posts
Well....I certainly hope the problems get solved. I see many complaints and misgivings posted about 64-bit Adobe, but many replies saying it works for other users (apparently the OK posts are less, because people tend to post complaints more than anything else). I've downloaded 64-bit trials of Adobe and Vegas trials to my Win7 PC, spent weeks on a couple of them but could never get much from the reputed "advantages" to make me want to keep them installed. Except for 64-bit AfterEffects. I must be recidivist in nature, because 85% of what I do is 32-bit in XP except for encoding big HD projects on the 64-bit machine, and I don't use Adobe for encoding. I have 64-bit AE but dont know why because I do almost all AE work with 32-bit CS3. How apps like TMPGenc and HCenc out-code Adobe is a mystery to me, but I have no problems with them regardless of OS. If I could afford it I'd buy the pro encoders lordsmurf uses. Old fashioned me, I go against the tide and use AMD machines, my two forays into Intel and big names like Asus turning out as adventures in frustration and disappointment -- even if they could encode a bit faster, too many other things went awry.

Someone out there has the answer. Things are a bit slow in tech forums these days, everybody's out there playing with their iPhones.

I've been using Lagarith for 5 years. I have to, really, because I capture to huffyuv on one PC and transfer to a newer PC for processing. Huff on one PC doesn't want to play on the other PC, even though I've tried every Huff version out there. So I review each capture and then recompress with Lagarith. Voila, transfer problems solved. I'm at a loss to say why I have no problems with it. I'm one of these oddballs that has old All In Wonder AGPs and ancient XP machines with budget motherboards and VirtualDub for capture, and never had audio sync problems. One of my AMD builds has Win2000 and a Radeon 7500 AIW with a measly 64MB of video RAM. Obviously I don't use any of this to cruise the internet or run HD processing. But as long as I can keep 'em running I say god bless the old stuff.

But none of that solves your problem. I'd hope that UT will work. I don't notice any complaints about it.
Reply With Quote
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: hysteriah (04-08-2015)
  #5  
04-08-2015, 07:28 AM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,477
Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,224 Posts
I'm often amazed at the "video sadism" that often goes on. Newer is often NOT better, and all you do is waste time trying to force the issue.

For example, just this week, I needed to do something in Premiere.
- Premiere CS4 refused to work. Fine. Next! I'll try an older version.
- Premiere 6.5 was too old. The function did not yet exist. Fine. Next!
- Premiere CS1.5 does exactly what I need.

Now, I could have continued fighting CS4, as it is supposed to work. However, I don't want to exert the wasted effort. The newer versions do nothing I need for this project. I prefer the path of least resistance. I save my battles for things that matter.

So ... do you really need to have 64-bit CS5 for your project?

Remember, you can get CS2 for "free": http://www.techspot.com/downloads/57...iere-free.html

(FYI: "free" because Adobe.com is allowing anyone to download it, and the installer no longer checks the license server to see if the copy is legit. So, in effect, it's a freebie.)

I feel the same way about Photoshop. CS3, CS4 and CS5 all behave differently. And sometimes it's a problem. The solution is to use them all. From what I hear, CS6 and the new "CC" (subscription) are just as bad.

Have you tried the older CS versions? If so, does Huffyuv work?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
Reply With Quote
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: hysteriah (04-08-2015)
  #6  
04-08-2015, 12:28 PM
hysteriah hysteriah is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 141
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you very much both of you, sanlyn and lordsmurf, for trying to help me out. I appreciate it A LOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Well....I certainly hope the problems get solved. I see many complaints and misgivings posted about 64-bit Adobe, but many replies saying it works for other users (apparently the OK posts are less, because people tend to post complaints more than anything else).
I hope you're right. I think I've managed to install the HuffYUV 64-bit codec successfully, because it's working fine in MPC-HC (64-bit). But it doesn't work with Adobe Premiere Pro and it doesn't even show up in the codec list in the 64-bit version of VirtualDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
I've been using Lagarith for 5 years. I have to, really, because I capture to huffyuv on one PC and transfer to a newer PC for processing. Huff on one PC doesn't want to play on the other PC, even though I've tried every Huff version out there. So I review each capture and then recompress with Lagarith. Voila, transfer problems solved. I'm at a loss to say why I have no problems with it. I'm one of these oddballs that has old All In Wonder AGPs and ancient XP machines with budget motherboards and VirtualDub for capture, and never had audio sync problems. One of my AMD builds has Win2000 and a Radeon 7500 AIW with a measly 64MB of video RAM. Obviously I don't use any of this to cruise the internet or run HD processing. But as long as I can keep 'em running I say god bless the old stuff.
This is pretty much the same setup as I'm using I'm using an old desktop computer with the old AIW 7500 AGP card for capture. Then I want to transfer the files to my more Advanced editing PC with Win 7 64-bit and Adobe Premiere 64-bit. But it seems like it's very hard to find a way to work with these files on two so different computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
But none of that solves your problem. I'd hope that UT will work. I don't notice any complaints about it.
I've tried the UT Codec pack now. It seems to work very well with Adobe Premiere... haven't noticed any problems with it yet... except that it seems to do an unwanted colorspace Conversion or something when converting from HuffYUV to the "UtVideo YUV422 BT.601 VCM" codec. Something happens to the colors. There is a small difference in colors between the UT422-BT601 and the HuffYUV and lagarith files (see the Attached .PSD file)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I'm often amazed at the "video sadism" that often goes on. Newer is often NOT better, and all you do is waste time trying to force the issue.

For example, just this week, I needed to do something in Premiere.
- Premiere CS4 refused to work. Fine. Next! I'll try an older version.
- Premiere 6.5 was too old. The function did not yet exist. Fine. Next!
- Premiere CS1.5 does exactly what I need.
I totally agree with you, lordsmurf. Newer is definitely not always better. That's the reason why I'm using my old AIW 7500 for capturing But my newer Intel i7 computer with 64-bit OS is MUCH smoother for editing than my old P4 2.6Ghz that I'm using for capturing... and the Mercury Playback engine in the later versions of Adobe Premiere is amazing on speeding up the editing process in my case... It saves me hours of work every day... so I really must make it work one way or another. All that's really needed is a small codec

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
So ... do you really need to have 64-bit CS5 for your project?
Considering all the time I save by using the later 64-bit versions... Yes, I'm affraid so


Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Remember, you can get CS2 for "free": http://www.techspot.com/downloads/57...iere-free.html

(FYI: "free" because Adobe.com is allowing anyone to download it, and the installer no longer checks the license server to see if the copy is legit. So, in effect, it's a freebie.)?
Wow, I wasen't aware of that. That's really nice to know. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I feel the same way about Photoshop. CS3, CS4 and CS5 all behave differently. And sometimes it's a problem. The solution is to use them all. From what I hear, CS6 and the new "CC" (subscription) are just as bad.
I totally agree. That's why I have both CS3, CS5.5 and CS6 installed on my computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Have you tried the older CS versions? If so, does Huffyuv work?
Yes, it seems like HuffYUV works with the older 32-bit versions... but that doesn't really help me that much


Attached Images
File Type: psd UT Codec.psd (5.44 MB, 4 downloads)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
04-08-2015, 02:27 PM
hysteriah hysteriah is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 141
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just a short update:
It FINALLY looks like I've managed to install HuffYUV and get it working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

I managed that by folowing this guide and downloading these drivers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUZBJ7sck3c) instead of this (Cannot install HuffYUV on Windows 64-bit Vista or Win 7 [solved])

I'm going to check and see if it works flawlessly now... I really hope so
Reply With Quote
  #8  
04-08-2015, 03:10 PM
NJRoadfan NJRoadfan is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,031
Thanked 317 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Now, I could have continued fighting CS4, as it is supposed to work. However, I don't want to exert the wasted effort. The newer versions do nothing I need for this project. I prefer the path of least resistance. I save my battles for things that matter.
I found it utterly baffling that Premiere CS4 couldn't properly speed up a video clip to 4X the playback speed. This was simple stuff, I landed up having to use AviSynth to do it!
Reply With Quote
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: hysteriah (04-08-2015)
  #9  
04-09-2015, 12:45 AM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,477
Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,224 Posts
FYI, for my project, I have hundreds of cuts to make. CS4 would not "cut all" with CTRL+K or SHITF+CTRL+K. I did not want to use a mouse, as that was too tedious. It's a pure cut project, weaving the best of 3 restored versions. CS1.5 behaves fine.

Photoshop CS4 and CS5 have similar annoyances with selections. Only CS3 works for what I need.

I'll rewrite the install instructions to add this alternate install method.

I'm amused that the guy kept calling it "huffy yuv" (as in "Huffy bikes"). It's Huffman-encoded YUV. Hence "huffyuv" or "Huff YUV". Not Huffy.

I hate Youtube videos. It took almost 5 minutes to explain something that was doable in 1-2 sentences. I hate wasting time.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
Reply With Quote
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: hysteriah (04-15-2015)
  #10  
04-15-2015, 04:51 AM
hysteriah hysteriah is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 141
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okey, here's just a short update: HuffYUV seems to work excellent now!
BUT... it didn't solve my problem with corrupt frames. After some more research, I finally found the reason for my problem. It turned out to be the USB 3.0 Controller on my motherboard that was faulty. Every single videofile I copied to my USB HDD got these corrupted frames. This error with my USB controller must have occured almost at the same time as I changed my worklow, cos I never experienced anything like it when working with the DV format as I used to. That's why I really thought it had something to do with my new workflow and made it really hard to figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I'll rewrite the install instructions to add this alternate install method.
Please do. If I install the 64-bit Version the "youtube-way" and the 32-bit codec the "digitalfaq-way", they both seems to work at the same time. I can use HuffYUV files in both 64-bit and 32-bit applications without any problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I hate Youtube videos. It took almost 5 minutes to explain something that was doable in 1-2 sentences. I hate wasting time.
I couldn't agree more!

Last edited by hysteriah; 04-15-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HuffYUV/Lagarith YUY2 not working with VirtualDub/Premiere? hysteriah Project Planning, Workflows 17 03-22-2015 06:54 AM
Editing YUY2 footage in Adobe Premiere - Will colorspace conversion occur? hysteriah Edit Video, Audio 0 03-08-2015 04:28 PM
Is there an alternative to Adobe Premiere? rappy Edit Video, Audio 1 12-27-2011 12:31 PM
Premiere CS3 settings for lossless recompiling Kereellis Edit Video, Audio 7 03-27-2010 05:11 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM