Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-08-2011, 03:14 AM
Free Member

I wonder if anyone could help me with how to frameserve from Premiere CS4 to MainConcept Reference.

Installed the Debugmode Frameserver.

After editing in Premiere, when I click on Export --> Media, it opens up Adobe Media Encoder. For format, I select DebugMode Frameserver. When I click OK and Start Encoding, it does nothing. The window just closes down. I have AviSynth installed as well, if that helps.

Is it technically possible to frameserve between CS4 and MainConcept Reference? If so, then I am not doing it right.

Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Free Member

OK, I tried VirtualDub and frameserving from VB to MainConcept Reference (Demo version) is working nearly fine. But I have some issues...

1. MainConcept Reference thinks that the frames being served are 25p, whereas it should be 50i. (I could change that manually in MCR in the Input section). The DV AVI file is clearly 50i PAL.

2. MainConcept Reference encoder for DVD-Video is not encoding to the correct final output size even though I mentioned target output size.

I guess I will start a new thread for these 2 issues...
12-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
I wonder if anyone could help me with how to frameserve from Premiere CS4 to MainConcept Reference.
Installed the Debugmode Frameserver.
I want to test this myself, with CS4, but don't have an open system -- all of them are busy on projects for clients this week. I've not used frameservers with Premiere in many years now. That's mostly because Procoder was a plugin for Premiere as far back as Premiere 6 (last pre-CS version), and the MainConcept SDK has been excellent since CS3. It's especially good in CS4 and CS5.

Debugmode was always buggy: http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver

Another option is the AMVApp, created by Anime Music Video (AMV) fans. Just be aware that site has a lot of bad advice, and some of their "guides" make for a great examples of what over-filtering looks like. However, there are some good nuggets of info, and this app could be one of them. I've not tried it. I'm not sure if it attempts to add codec packs (YUCK!), change system a/v preferences, etc, so proceed with extreme caution. Also be wary of garbage payloads, like toolbars or "free" trial software.

That's downloadable at: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guid...31/amvapp.html
Discussion on it at: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/foru...p?f=45&t=94178

Quote:
Adobe Premiere AVS Plugin
Filename in AMVapp: PremiereAVSPlugin-v1.95a.exe
Requirements: Requires AviSynth be installed. Requires Adobe Premiere 5.x/6.x or a version of Adobe Premiere Pro BELOW CS5, or Adobe After Effects CS3 or later. It may work with with Premiere Elements, maybe not.
You should install it if: If you use a supported version of Adobe Premiere or After Effects and would like to load AviSynth scripts directly into it, then get this. Otherwise you should skip it.
Installation Instructions: The installer should automatically find your plugins folder if you have a compatable application.
After installing, it will ask you if you would like to configure the plugin. You can choose No for now, as we will be covering those options later on in this guide.
Personally, I just assume export to lossless AVI first (Huffyuv-MT on dual or quad core, config'd for at least 2 cores), and then feed it to MainConcept Reference separately. If I didn't own Reference, I'd just use the Premiere exporter, which is using the MainConcept SDK, and can be tweaked quite nicely for quality.

Quote:
Is it technically possible to frameserve ... MainConcept Reference?
Yes, you can frameserve into MainConcept Reference, using .avs files with Avisynth properly installed. If you're using a multi-core 64-bit system, consider using Avisynth v2.6 with the MT option. (Avisynth 2.6-MT) We'll soon be providing some ready-to-deploy Avisynth starter kits here in the forum. That will happen when the queue of paid work is completed for the year.

You should be able to frameserve out of Premiere CS4, too, yes. Others have done it, according to AMV.

Quote:
1. MainConcept Reference thinks that the frames being served are 25p, whereas it should be 50i. (I could change that manually in MCR in the Input section). The DV AVI file is clearly 50i PAL.
Sometimes that happens. It's why the input is configurable. There's also a chance your Avisynth script is wrong. There's also a number of bugs with the VirtualDub frameserver. A common trick for some of them is to rename the .vdr to .avs, and all is well.

Quote:
2. MainConcept Reference encoder for DVD-Video is not encoding to the correct final output size even though I mentioned target output size.
Size as in file size? Or size as in resolution?
File size is estimated, not guaranteed. Resolution will encode to what it's told, and I've never seen it deviate.

Quote:
I guess I will start a new thread for these 2 issues...
That may be a good idea.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-14-2011, 02:14 AM
Free Member

Thanks. Will try AMVApp and update the thread on how it goes.

Quote:
Sometimes that happens. It's why the input is configurable. There's also a chance your Avisynth script is wrong. There's also a number of bugs with the VirtualDub frameserver. A common trick for some of them is to rename the .vdr to .avs, and all is well.
That's what I did (rename .vdr to .avs). It still recognizes the input wrongly (25p instead of 50i). I didn't have to write any AviSynth script for frameserving.

From your responses, I get a feeling that frameserving is not generally the 100% error-free, professional method, unless the editing application provides it as an official plug-in.

Will start a separate thread for MainConcept encoding issues.