Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
@Bobban: What was your final script?

@themaster1: Where can I download RemoveSpotsMC? I don't seem to have it anymore. Mind sharing yours?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
@themaster1: Where can I download RemoveSpotsMC? I don't seem to have it anymore. Mind sharing yours?
I guess theMaster1 is on vacation today. Attached .avs contains RemoveSpotsMC, RemoveSpotsMC2 (calls the same routines twice), and ye old original RemoveSpots, which is called by RemoveSpotsMC and MC2. Script can be used to execute any of the 3 functions.

Don't recall exactly where I found this, but it's from a long thread in videohelp where the functions were tweaked by jagabo and poisondeathray to avoid some minor bugs.

Attached Files
File Type: avs RemoveSpotsMC.avs (1.6 KB, 35 downloads)
08-22-2014, 06:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanks sanlyn.

That last script of yours was useful for me as well. I incorporated it (and something themaster1 did on VH some years ago) into a script that was able to fix a really ugly problem. I'm going to try and share that one here soon, and see if anybody else can do better.

You can thank premiumcapture for the content idea here. We'll try to use it.

08-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Thanks sanlyn.

That last script of yours was useful for me as well. I incorporated it (and something themaster1 did on VH some years ago) into a script that was able to fix a really ugly problem. I'm going to try and share that one here soon, and see if anybody else can do better.
Now you got my attention
02-17-2015, 01:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

sanlyn, themaster1,

It took a while to reply here, as I had some serious follow-up health issues last year (that have since subsided) that hit me in early August (just a few days later). I'm only now, 6 months later, resuming some of what I was doing at the time.

Anyway, this is what I did (as of today):

Code:
AVISource("c:\.avi")
ChromaShift(C=10, L=-6) # align chroma over luma

ConvertToYUY2
AssumeTFF()
a=last
e=a.SelectEven().DePulse(h=20, l=1, d=1, debug=false) .DePulse(h=10, l=255, d=15, debug=false) # white, then black
o=a.SelectOdd().DePulse(h=20, l=1, d=1, debug=false) .DePulse(h=10, l=255, d=15, debug=false) # white, then black
Interleave(e,o)

ConvertToYV12 
AssumeTFF() # optional, BFF for DV source
QTGMC(Preset="Slow") # best deinterlacer - balances speed + quality
SelectEven() 

Spline36Resize(240,480).Santiag().Spline64Resize(720,480) # remove broken pixel noise
return last
I removed the decimate, and injected a QTGMC before the pixel noise cleanup.

What you called "sharpening" was interesting, as it (mostly) removed or hid pixel loss due to the overaggressive depulse. Trying to find a balance between "good picture" loss and "bad picture" (lines) loss was hard -- if not impossible. The splineResize and the anti-aliasing script line allows me to not just maintain aggressiveness, but double down on it. By lowering the resize to 240, thereby slightly softening the image (but still tolerable), it was better yet.

When the current encode is done, I'll post some samples. It would be really nice if you were able to improve on this yet again.

This video was a massively damaged S-VHS tape (signal-wise) and required 3 captures to acquire all the footage in stable condition. The hour-long video was then split into 11 parts for processing, based on scene.

It's getting where I think this is the best that can be done. It's an unusual error, and one I've never seen before.

After Avisynth is done, it was fed into VirtualDub for a 2x median filter at 100% each. Some masking, some CCD to remove chroma noise to clean it up a bit more for DVD-ready processing.