Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Free Member

hey kpmedia,

I am moving out of hostgator and I am researching good alternatives, so I've been lookign at your recommendations...

Could you clarify why you recommend a small orange, when they are an EIG company? are they an exception in any way?

Also, you recommend jaguarpc and I sincerely considered them until I saw the many complains on their fb page do you have any good direct experience with them?

If I may ask: if you could recommend ONLY 1 company out of your list (except of eurovps) which one would it be and why?

I highly appreciate your feedback.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

A Small Orange is not an EIG company. Brent Oxley owned HostGator, and a stake of ASO. He sold HG to EIG. ASO was not part of that deal. Both ASO and HostNine are the same company, and neither are EIG owned.

I'm removing ASO from the list. The above was true, and ASO was not part of last year's HG deal. But apparently that has changed. Anything controlled by EIG is not to be trusted.

Most of JaguarPC complaints were for their VPS, not other services. However many were unfounded. The price attracts too many novices. JPC also operates hundreds of servers, so for one or two to fail from time to time is honestly to be expected. JPC's biggest problem was having a bad datacenter layout, which aided overheating; this has since been changed. What would happen is some VPS racks would overheat, and the hard drive would fail. The complaints always came from people who didn't keep their own backups, and did not opt for backup services. JPC has a "best effort" backup policy (non-paid backup), which is more than what most hosts do. All that aside, I don't really see any complaints on their Facebook page. Most of those were at WHT, and Zach and Greg (the owner) responded to everything.

We've used JPC on and off the projects since 2002. We currently admin a system there for a client, and it works flawlessly. That VPS has been around since August 2011 without any problems. The worst thing that happened is the DC had a looped router back in April of 2012 which caused some network loss, and lasted 48 hours or so.

We had used ASO on and off since 2008, but no longer.

If I had to recommend one company, it would be Stablehost. This very site is powered by a cluster of servers at EuroVPS and Stablehost. We had then since 2008 or 2009, so something like 4-5 years now. (EuroVPS for 7+ years!) Uptime has been near 100%, and the owners/techs are quite knowledgeable and helpful. I don't really need tech support, but it's nice to know they're there; I check in from time to time. They're a very newbie-friendly host, and even help one of my friends with his silly questions. He has an account with them, too.

Unlike fake "lists" online, we've actually used these hosts, and can help you find the right one.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated!

I was going to refer you to see that a small orange is included on the EIG site but I see you already caught up on it.

As for JPC - there is an overwhelming amount of complains on their fb page at the section that shows Recent Posts by Others. I am sure they are good guys and that they do their best, but it's hard to ignore these complains - some are with regards to customer service.

I will do a bit more research but so far it seems like stablehost, may be the way to go, they have great reviews everywhere I looked and I may take you up on the coupon offer.

Thanks again!
03-17-2013, 09:48 PM

At Stablehost, we use both the shared and VPS right now.
For the best deal, I'd grab one of the mid-range shared plans for one year. No more, no less. (And use the coupon!)

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Free Member

Do you have a coupon offer for life? (smaller % ok)
03-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Use one of these to sign up for Stablehost:
  • Coupon Code: US-WHT2012-25 -- 25% OFF FOR LIFE (Any payment plans) in USA / Phoenix
  • Coupon Code: EUHOST2013 -- 25% OFF FOR LIFE (Any payment plans) in EU / Amsterdam
And here's a tip fore you: The owners of Stablehost are great people. Tyler, for example, is a nice, professional, knowledgeable person. Contact sales at some point, after you've had several months to make up your mind, and see if you can sign up for a year or two with the 50% coupon. There's no harm in asking, and he just might say yes. You won't get that at other hosts. They're all "by the book" drones. Stablehost still treats you like a person, however. Again, that one is HALFPRICE and gets 50% off.

I'll sign up with a good host for up to two years myself. This is only 1 of 3 hosts where I'd do that. Everybody else is annual at most (under $50, my limit) or monthly. I don't really do 3 years, as that's so far off -- not sure what I'll be doing then.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll like them as much as I have these past 4+ years.

03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Free Member

Awesome, Thanks a lot!

I am signing up now. I just want to check it out first on a monthly base before I commit and if all is well, I will sure try out your tip and see what happens. With such warm recommendation from you I am anticipating to be with them for years to come (hopefully they never sell to EIG

Thanks again.