Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Premium Member

I was not sure whether this would be better in the computers section, but I thought to ask here as it has come from my initial question about working with usb peripherals on my macbook pro, specifically a card reader into a 7 port usb hub versus directly into the mac's usb ports. This has proved to be a bit of a challenge as I have many usb devices, & the mac has only 2 usb ports. I am asking for some advice on how to get the best, most reliable configuration for my devices, especially my external hard drives. Another consideration is I may get yet another external hard drive as well, for the mac's time machine backup utility.

I see there was another reply to my other post about these sort of things, but I thought I would start fresh as this is a general concern.

I need one as I have more than 2 usb devices I need to plug into my macbook pro, since it only has 2 ports.

The one I have now works, but it does not work well with my card reader, I need it for other cards; memory sticks, the laptop only has a slot for sd cards.

When I have my card reader plugged into my 7 port usb hub, & try inserting my memory sticks into it, it just blinks, & mac OS does not see it.

I then tried plugging the card reader directly into one of the mac's usb ports, & the cards could be read. The only little problem with this, is every time I want to use the card reader to download content off memory sticks, I have to unplug my wired keyboard from one of the usb slots on the mac, I can do this, but I dont want to wear out the mac's usb port from swapping out the keyboard & card reader.

The mac's other usb port is occupied with the 7 port usb hub. Normally, I have the 7 port hub, in one of the mac's usb ports, & the other has the wired keyboard.

any suggestions on a good usb hub or card reader that can work with a hub?

is there a such thing as a firewire hub with multi usb ports? since I have a firewire port free on my mac.

I guess the other option is maybe a wireless keyboard, do those work reliably? & what type of batteries do they use? since they are not wired they must be self powered somehow.

what ever hub I get, I need it to be a good one since I plug in external hard drives to it.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-03-2011, 01:16 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Yes, this would be best in the Computers forum. It's been moved for you.

Quote:
every time I want to use the card reader to download content off memory sticks, I have to unplug my wired keyboard from one of the usb slots on the mac
Try to use the keyboard on the hub. Ideally, you don't want a keyboard on a hub, but try it anyway -- it might work just fine. Sometimes it does.

Quote:
but I dont want to wear out the mac's usb port from swapping out the keyboard & card reader.
Get a small extender. I have several 6-inch USB cords that I leave in my laptop almost all the time, and simply plug/unplug from it. All of mine came free with other devices (mostly USB capture cards). But surely you can find one for just a couple of dollars online. In fact, I took a quit peek at Amazon.com and see some as cheap as 12 cents + $3 shipping.

Quote:
is there a such thing as a firewire hub with multi usb ports?
No. It's not even remotely the same protocol.
To put this into analogy, it's like trying to use copy machine parts to repair a computer printer. While they may be in the same place, and seem to have similar functions, they're not even close to the same in design or function.

Quote:
I guess the other option is maybe a wireless keyboard, do those work reliably? & what type of batteries do they use? since they are not wired they must be self powered somehow.
You still need a USB port to hold the wireless RF connection, unless you have Bluetooth built into your computer and don't need an external adapter. Most keyboards use standard AAA batteries. I generally prefer wired keyboards and mice, especially when doing design work or using for long periods of time.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-03-2011, 03:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Yes, this would be best in the Computers forum. It's been moved for you.

Try to use the keyboard on the hub. Ideally, you don't want a keyboard on a hub, but try it anyway -- it might work just fine. Sometimes it does.

Get a small extender. I have several 6-inch USB cords that I leave in my laptop almost all the time, and simply plug/unplug from it. All of mine came free with other devices (mostly USB capture cards). But surely you can find one for just a couple of dollars online. In fact, I took a quit peek at Amazon.com and see some as cheap as 12 cents + $3 shipping.

No. It's not even remotely the same protocol.
To put this into analogy, it's like trying to use copy machine parts to repair a computer printer. While they may be in the same place, and seem to have similar functions, they're not even close to the same in design or function.

You still need a USB port to hold the wireless RF connection, unless you have Bluetooth built into your computer and don't need an external adapter. Most keyboards use standard AAA batteries. I generally prefer wired keyboards and mice, especially when doing design work or using for long periods of time.
would you give me a link to the 12 cent ones?

I found this;http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics--...724591&sr=8-12

are these what you are talking about? the male to female cords? this seems like a hub, could you explain how these usb cords are different from a hub? does it not break the direct plug in/connection to the macbook's usb ports? I am not trying to argue, just trying to learn & get the best configuration.

so what you are saying is to try swapping out the keyboard from the mac usb port & into my 7 port hub, & plug in the usb card reader directly to the macbook through a usb cable/extender? use usb cables in the macbook's usb ports? would my 7 port usb hub (now plugged directly into the macbook's usb port) work ok plugged into a usb cord/extender that would be plugged into the macbook's usb port?

do you think my usb hub is compatible with my mac? do you think I should get a different one? & which one do you suggest? I will be plugging an external hard drive into it.

this is the hub I am using now; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

this is my keyboard; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

this is the mouse I am using; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I also see usb/card reader hub combo units, are these good?
02-11-2018, 06:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
USB hubs don't always play nice. That's really the takeaway from this thread.

Keyboards especially don't like external hubs, nor does something carrying data like HDD or card readers. Hubs have always been for secondary devices, like mice and printers. It really depends on all of the hardware in use, such as chipset.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs