Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-11-2012, 02:31 AM
Free Member

I'm trying to determine a few things regarding setting up the monitors for the forthcoming workstation that will serve as both my video and audio editing station.

For video, I will be working with both SD and HD (eventually) material so I know an IPS-based monitor would be necessary for color-correction purposes. I will also do a dual-monitor setup. However, with such a setup, would I need to buy two IPS monitors for regular work and need a third monitor for final output checking? I've read that you could just use two normal LCD panels and then a IPS-based one for the third for final output.

I also recently built an XP box to handle the older SD captures and some of the audio tasks but to avoid needing so many extra monitors, I figured to get a KVM switch where I can switch between the XP box and the workstation PC using the dual monitor setup.

So question is, would it make sense to get dual IPS monitors for the majority of the work, with a third for checking the output? I am sure I will need to grab an additional small broadcast monitor to check the sources from the analog VTR decks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

For me, doing quality work requires that I single-task. That means using just one monitor. Bobbing my head back and forth is distracting to concentration. If I need more space, I get a larger monitor. There are 24" IPS LCD panels in use here for editing video, photos and artwork.

And I feel fine by saying this, since so much research now shows that "multitasking" is a myth. All you end up doing is several tasks at partial quality and attention span.

The only time I use a secondary monitor is when checking video quality levels on an actual television (usually a calibrated high-quality consumer-model CRT). At this point in time, broadcast-grade CRTs are likely to be only available used, and are no more in or out of spec than a good consumer CRT. Even a quality IPS CRT often looks as good as or better than a somewhat worn broadcast spec CRT.

I would not used a TN-based monitor whatsoever. Two monitors is confusing enough. Adding in a low quality monitor is yet another monkey wrench in the works. Do yourself a favor: Give them to family, and get yourself proper hassle-free tools.

There's really no need to discriminate between SD and HD video. In this discussion, video is video.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Free Member

Hmm, that's a very interesting viewpoint. Usually in past times it was always said that using a dual-monitor setup was ideal, since it gave you more screen-real estate when editing video. However that have might been during the time when large-widescreen monitors were scarce at the time, unlike now. But if you can do pretty much all of your work on one large monitor, then that would indeed save needing an extra monitor, and $$ too. I sure dont want a ton of monitors in my working area since more of them equals lots of heat (not including all the analog gear).
06-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
However that have might been during the time when large-widescreen monitors were scarce at the time, unlike now.
I would agree.

The only other time multiple monitor is useful is when you're monitoring multiple points of catastrophic failure. For example, I was recently at the Jack Daniel's distillery, and the control room had a wall of large high-quality LCD panels with temperature readouts and other stats. It was impressive.

Homer Simpson could probably use multiple monitors better than either of us, since he monitors Mr. Burns plant.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Free Member

So with using a single 24" IPS monitor for video editing and photo work, you have no problem seeing the timeline, tools and the preview windows on the single screen? Since alot of the video work is the editing part, it would make sense to reduce eye strain and fatigue as much as possible.

I do have an older 18" CRT monitor that I had for a number of years...i sure would love to get rid of it with it being heavy and puts out alot of heat (useful for winter months lol). But for now its temporarily in use with the XP box for testing until I can get the new LCD panel.
06-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I've used 23" and 24" monitors for about 6 years now. No complaints from me. Plenty of space for timelines, tools, previews.
The 18" CRT belongs on a boat for China, along with all the other computer recyclables. (Tip: Dump it off at Best Buy.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I've used 23" and 24" monitors for about 6 years now. No complaints from me. Plenty of space for timelines, tools, previews.
The 18" CRT belongs on a boat for China, along with all the other computer recyclables. (Tip: Dump it off at Best Buy.)
Trust me the 18" CRT is gonna be making its exit very soon. Tell me LS do you use a single monitor for your work as well?
06-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
For me, doing quality work requires that I single-task. That means using just one monitor. Bobbing my head back and forth is distracting to concentration. If I need more space, I get a larger monitor. There are 24" IPS LCD panels in use here for editing video, photos and artwork.

And I feel fine by saying this, since so much research now shows that "multitasking" is a myth. All you end up doing is several tasks at partial quality and attention span.

The only time I use a secondary monitor is when checking video quality levels on an actual television (usually a calibrated high-quality consumer-model CRT). At this point in time, broadcast-grade CRTs are likely to be only available used, and are no more in or out of spec than a good consumer CRT. Even a quality IPS CRT often looks as good as or better than a somewhat worn broadcast spec CRT.

I would not used a TN-based monitor whatsoever. Two monitors is confusing enough. Adding in a low quality monitor is yet another monkey wrench in the works. Do yourself a favor: Give them to family, and get yourself proper hassle-free tools.

There's really no need to discriminate between SD and HD video. In this discussion, video is video.
I do have a Sony 27" Wega Trinitron TV (KV-27FV16) that I recently acquired...like yeah who gets a CRT nowadays right. I mostly got it for playing the older gaming consoles, plus I can use it to check video output as well. So if I guess I can simply use a single IPS LCD monitor fo the majority of my work and use the TV as needed for checking output, plus it also has 16:9 mode.
06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Single mind, single monitor.

Maybe if I was a two-headed octopus that could independently control left/right halves of my brain, I'd consider two.
Until I run into mutagen in a sewer, however, I'll stick to one.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs