Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Digital Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Free Member

I used the Leawo converter (free version) to convert some concerts for my 6th gen classic, the audio is real quiet played through my home theater system (have to turn up the receiver to max just to enjoy the concerts) and the video and audio are out of sync, is this a product of the free version of Leawo or something else? This free version only lets you choose "medium" for video quality, is the higher quality from a real/not free version much better? Which converter program would you suggest and best for the money?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Leawo converter
That's probably the whole issue right there. It's one of those really low quality Chinese junkware/adware/spamware programs.
Even freeware like Avidemux should work better.

Also, what is the source of "some concerts" -- DVDs, captured tapes, Youtube videos, other unofficial download sources, etc?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Free Member

The source is DVD's, very good recordings, some studio and cable recordings.

Do you have a suggestion for which program? Should I try Avidemux or is there a better one that won't break me?
06-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Avidemux is where I'd start. Handbrake is another popular option with good quality.
Both are freeware.

Avidemux is somewhat more advanced. Handbrake is dummied down a bit, to make it easy for novices and lazies.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Free Member

I purchased a copy of vso's "DVD Converter" it's creating much larger files of the same concerts...hope it works! looks like it doing 6 channel audio, if so, that will good on the home theater system.

I have Avidemux, can't figure out what setting I should use for a mp4 final product that I can convert to an ipod file, is it hard to do? The vso "dvd converter" gives me a little better sound but the pic actually looks worse than the Leawo...go figure right? If I can't figure out Avidemux could Handbreak be better than the vso software?

I downloaded HandBrake, good program and seems to do a little better than the vso software, but ...
Funmoods has taken over my computer! Funmoods web search, homepage. Is there an easy way to get rid of this crap?

Edit: Three posts merged. -LS
06-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

VSO makes several great programs, but I've not yet tried that one. I often refer people to use VSO ConvertXToDVD and some of their DVD media utilities have gotten pretty useful in past years (filling in the void left by other now-abandoned media tools).

Avidemux gives better control than Handbrake. But Handbrake is pretty user friendly (aka idiot-proof).

The Funmoods issue is off-topic for this thread, so it's been moved: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/comp...eb-search.html

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: cyber-junkie (06-19-2012)
06-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Free Member

I have the vso Convert to DVD and it's a good program, the DVD converter is not, it pixels real bad and HandBrake does not, HandBrake is a good program, there is several video filters in Handbrake, the "Decomb" they say you can set to "default" and it will only mess with the frames that need it...would you used this? Is there any other(s) setting(s) I should mess with?
Thanks
06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Decomb is probably a rudimentary deinterlacer. Use as needed (interlaced sources).
I'm assuming that this is just for casual/fun watching of videos on iPod, so I wouldn't overthink the quality. The screen is tiny anyway.
And you have the archive-quality DVDs or something else to fall back on, to watch on TV?

06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Decomb is probably a rudimentary deinterlacer. Use as needed (interlaced sources).
I'm assuming that this is just for casual/fun watching of videos on iPod, so I wouldn't overthink the quality. The screen is tiny anyway. And you have the archive-quality DVDs or something else to fall back on, to watch on TV?
I actually watch the ipod videos on my 55" sony, it's quality is viewable, actually pretty good, I have a dock that outputs 720 max res. and the 6th gen ipod looks pretty good so I am trying to get the best I can and not overkill at the same time.
______

Handbrake worked fine for a week or so, then it started to get to 100% and not finish the encode, I removed the program and re downloaded and installed it, even re did the original video file (BTW I am using an iso file fot the m4v edit)...have any idea what's going on?
______

Update...actually it's only one concert that handbrake won't finish, I have tried using the actual dvd (concert recorded off cable) tried using a iso file and even re-authored it, handbrake gets to 100% then just sits there and won't finish,...what's going on?

Edit: Three posts merged. -LS
06-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

The audio is probably longer/shorter than the video. That confuses some software.

Drop the MPEG into Womble MPEG Video Wizard -- twice. Once as video (and mute it), once as audio. See if audio matches length of video.
I don't know of any other software (freeware or payware) that will do this. Womble MVW (or MVW-DVD) is needed.

DVD-Video authoring often pads one of the streams, and you cannot "unpad" it completely. You get mismatched stream lengths.
Most times, it's just a few frames. But even a few frames confuses poorly-coded video/audio software.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: cyber-junkie (06-24-2012)
06-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The audio is probably longer/shorter than the video. That confuses some software.

Drop the MPEG into Womble MPEG Video Wizard -- twice. Once as video (and mute it), once as audio. See if audio matches length of video.
I don't know of any other software (freeware or payware) that will do this. Womble MVW (or MVW-DVD) is needed.

DVD-Video authoring often pads one of the streams, and you cannot "unpad" it completely. You get mismatched stream lengths.
Most times, it's just a few frames. But even a few frames confuses poorly-coded video/audio software.
It looks like they give you 30 days to try it out...sweet....

Can it fix this problem?
06-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

Yes.
Chop off the excess audio (or video) at the end of the stream, and re-save (export) it.
It should "stream copy", not reprocess.