Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Premium Member

I bought a concert dvd, & I liked it but was disappointing as the video & audio came apart & were out of sync for the rest of the dvd, making it impossible & irritating to watch.

I e-mailed the seller, & they sent me a new one, but it had the exact same problem. so i think who ever or company made this dvd were cheap & did a poor job of putting it together.

is there anyway I could get it on track with audio & video in sync?

I am on a mac with imovie, handbrake & mpg streamclip.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
I bought a concert dvd, & I liked it but was disappointing as the video & audio came apart & were out of sync for the rest of the dvd, making it impossible & irritating to watch.
This is sadly a common problem. I see it frequently from cable companies, satellite providers, local broadcasters, corporate Youtube videos, and even DVDs created by indy filmmakers and well-known actors. It's really quite sloppy and pathetic on their part. Inexcusably so. There's no proofing or auditing being done between the editing and transmission/distribution, which is wholly unprofessional.

Quote:
I e-mailed the seller, & they sent me a new one, but it had the exact same problem. so i think who ever or company made this dvd were cheap & did a poor job of putting it together.
That seller was a dufus. As if a new copy of a disc will fix a problem embedded in the content.

Quote:
is there anyway I could get it on track with audio & video in sync?
Yes, there's a great method that will (1) maintain quality, due to no re-encoding required, (2) allow you to quickly re-sync the audio to video, assuming it's a simple skew (audio and video always off by x frames or seconds), and not a sync error that varies across the duration of the clip.

Quote:
I am on a mac with imovie, handbrake & mpg streamclip.
Unfortunately, a Mac lacks the ability to run the proper tools. You want to use Womble MPEG Video Wizard, which is a payware (free trial available, for one-off use), and it only runs on Windows. If you're limited to Mac hardware, you'll need a full editor like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro (an NLE with separate audio and video timelines), and you'll lose quality during the re-encodes.

MPEG Streamclip isn't powerful enough or feature-rich enough to do this task.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

Interesting.......

Purchased a concert DVD once on ebay, and it was a bootleg !!!

DVD-R...

However he did a good job on this, the case was printed up to look real, the sticker on the disk kind of looked real, however the video on play back was compressed to a DVD-R from a DVD 9 disk.

Wouldn't have cared that much, but when I question him on this, he claimed it was real, so I started emailing all his customer that he was selling fakes and how to tell they were fakes. The purple liner on the back of the DVD was a give away and also the DVD-R printed on the inner circle.

"He fooled all of his customers, not one of them knew they purchased a pure bootleg of a real recording" Until I told them

He refunded the money and kept the bootleg DVD.

What I am saying is this, eventhough the DVD make look real it could be a fake......

Audio Video Sync Problems can be kind of funny. It can also be the DVD player, that has a hard time coding the audio.

It could be your setup.....

Lets say it is the DVD.....
You have to break down the video to the frame and than try to find out were the error is.

If it is simple like off by 5 to 7 frames, you re-sync it, if it is a random pattern of frames off in different sections, you are going to have problems.

Sometimes a video will start in sync and by the end it is off by more than a few minutes......

Lets say track 8/chapter 8 on the DVD is out of sync from the start, but than you start the video on track 8/chapter 8, the video/audio is in sync, than 10 minutes later it is out of sync again.

Would have to look at the actual file aka the DVD to tell what is wrong with it.......