Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Free Member

I'm having problems copying a DVD. In DVDShrink, it gets to about 98% done analyzing and then an error comes up that says
DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
Failed to read file 'D:\"
Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy check)
and then it stops....it did the same thing with nero, and dvd decrypter when I tried to rip it and copy it that way.
Why's it doing this, and how can I get past it?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Use DVDFab 6 in free mode.
It's the first download here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

See if that works.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
10-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Free Member

It didn't work either..the box that comes up where the blue bar goes from left to right just kept doing that for like 15 min before I stopped it, a box came up a few times that said error, i clicked retry then after about 5 times of that coming up, I hit ignore all, but the blue bar just kept giong from left to right until I cancelled
10-03-2009, 08:32 PM

The disc might be damaged.
Is this a retail DVD or a homemade DVD that you're trying to copy?

10-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Free Member

It's retail. I've had this problem before with other discs, only retail though, I've never had the problem with a disc that I've made.
10-05-2009, 09:05 AM

If DVDFab did not work, then the disc is probably damaged. When you play it, it probably skips there, or maybe it even freezes and halts. Maybe it is surface damage? Try to clean it with soap and water and a software cloth. If that does now work, get it re-surfaced at a mom-and-pop rental store. If it's a defect of the press, you're pretty much screwed -- I've had this happen, too. Return the DVD to the store, if it's within the return period.

There's really nothing more I can suggest.

02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Free Member

I was trying to get past this problem because I was trying to copy another DVD, and it was having the same problem, so what I did was, put the DVD in, opened Video Wizard, imported it, and exported it to a new file, and that actually worked...however, when I try to burn it, it was too big, which is weird because the dvd was a single layer disc and I was trying to re-burn it to another single layer disc, so I encoded it overnight and got it down to about 3.7 GB, and when I went to burn it, all it does is burn the menus, and it wont let me select anything on the menus, there's 3 menus and when I put the new burned DVD in, it plays real fast thru the first 2 menus, and gets stuck on menu 3, and I can't select anything..
What do you think I can do to get past this problem? I have the original DVD in a new file on my computer, but it just doesnt seem to burn properly
02-17-2010, 12:52 PM

There's too many problems there to isolate what went wrong and when.

1. Video too big? Did Womble re-encode it for some reason? If it did, you need to figure out why that happened.

2. Problem copying a DVD? Something went wrong somewhere.

3. Why did it need to be 3.7GB in size? Is it short? A DVD holds 4.37GB off data, for single-sided media. You can't possibly have 600MB in menus, do you?

4. The menu errors are authoring errors of some kind, wrong settings when you authored it (or whoever authored it).

02-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Free Member

I'm not sure if Womble re-encoded it..I don't believe so..however, I do remember seeing at the beginning of the bar a small section being in red and the rest blue in the detail section, and Im assuming that might be where the error is because the error comes up like within 5-10 of me opening it in DVD Shrink.
I re-encoded it to that size because when I tried to re-burn it after Womble exported it, it said it was over 5 GB when I went to burn it in ImgBurn
The menu Im guessing could be big because it's 3 menus, and it has background music. I didn't make this DVD. Other DVDs in this particular set copied fine but this one isn't
02-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Free Member

Well, I brought it back into womble, and edited out the menus and that got it to burn, so I guess that fixed the problem.