Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Free Member

I would like to make copies of some original DVD's I have.
I downloaded the DVD Decrypter program to make a copy. My question: Will decrypter alter my original DVD's in any way?Will the original disks still be uncopyable, after having made copies using decrypter?
In other words, will something be permanently removed from the original disk?
I don't want to alter my originals. Thanks for answering my questions.
Joseph
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Free Member

DVD Decrypter will not, and cannot alter your original discs in any manner whatsoever.
05-05-2012, 04:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar1959 View Post
Will the original disks still be uncopyable, after having made copies using decrypter?
In other words, will something be permanently removed from the original disk?
I don't want to alter my originals.
You could not alter them even if you wanted to.

This is assuming that your "originals" are store-bought/commercial/retail discs. The discs are read-only.

Even burned "purple-bottom" (referring to the purple dye) discs are read-only once burned properly. Warner Brothers, for example, now burns small-circulation releases of old TV shows and B&W movies. Those are sold on-demand through wbshop.com and Amazon.com.

The only discs that can be altered are DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM discs. These are the reusable discs people often buy for using in computers and DVD recorders. Those can be erased if you pick the erase option in DVD Decrypter. However, the disc will not simply erase from being read. RW discs are a dark gun-metal gray on bottom, and RAM discs are a gold/rainbow type of color on bottom. You'd likely know if you had a RW/RAM disc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs