09-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Free Member

I ripped a DVD to my computer with the intentions of adding chapters to them, as I asked about in a previous post. I've done it on a few DVDs with no problems, however the one I'm trying to do now is giving me a lot of problems.

I ripped the DVD, and opened it in Workshop, however it's only showing the first 24 seconds of the video. I went to the actual video file, and opened it in VLC, and the whole video is there, but only the first 24 seconds is showing in Workshop.

What's weird is, if I manually move the timeline bar in Workshop, it skims through the whole video (the video is 2 hrs in length) but as I manually move the timeline bar to the very end, it still just shows 24 secs as the time, but you can see the various parts of the video all the way to end. However, if I just hit the play button, it only plays the first 24 seconds.

I've deleted the file, and re-burned it about 3 different times now, but everytime it shows only the first 24 seconds in Workshop.

I did the ripping correctly. I made sure everything was checkmarked in decrypter, just as I've done with every other DVD that I've ripped, and all those worked fine, but this particular one keeps giving me the same problem.

What could be causing this, and how can I fix it?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
I ripped the DVD, and opened it in Workshop, however it's only showing the first 24 seconds of the video. I went to the actual video file, and opened it in VLC, and the whole video is there, but only the first 24 seconds is showing in Workshop.
The nav data from the original DVD is causing your problem. There is something there in the VOB that interferes with the standard method to decode MPEG by an MPEG authoring program.

DVD Workshop is very fussy about broken non-compliant video streams. Most authoring software is, in fact -- at least the good ones. Strict compliance is honestly the only way to guarantee video is authored 100% to the DVD-Video specs, and can play in any DVD player.

Use VobEdit to purify the video stream.

Attached Files
File Type: zip VobEdit v06.zip (87.6 KB, 1 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Free Member

thanks, how would i purify the stream? i've never done that..
09-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Follow the guide here: Video Guides > Edit > Extract Video from a Professional DVD

Quote:
Extracting the audio. Close DVD Decryptor and open VOB Edit. At the bottom right press the OPEN button and go open the VOB file. A list of information will appear on the left-half window. Next click the DEMUX button on the bottom near the OPEN button.
Quote:
In the window above that opens from pressing DEMUX, select the audio type that you are extracting. This must be figured out on your own, thought the left-half window information normally says PCM Audio Pack or AC-3 Audio Pack in the audio information. If there are multiple audio streams, then be sure to tick the "demux all audio streams" option. This program can also be used to extract video and audio from VOB files already on your hard drive, though I prefer the DVD Decrypter method as it is more accurate and can detect seperate PGC within the same VOB automatically. You now have your AUDIO and VIDEO files successfully extracted on your hard drive and ready for further use.
But demux the video, not the audio.
Well, do both if you don't have the audio already. But I'm assuming you already demuxed the audio.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs