04-14-2016, 05:38 PM
Free Member

I was given some MP4 1920x1080 PAL files that I need to burn to BluRay region free disc. I am PC based and am using Adobe Premiere to import the MP4 files and then exporting the files out through AME so that they can be used on Adobe Encore to burn BluRay. I've attached a screen capture of the MedioInfo info. I'm tried almost every possible setting I can think of between the two applications, but I still run into the video and audio not syncing up. I don't have that much experience with PAL HD, but have done a bit of SD PAL, but its pretty straight forward with the settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PALHDMP4.jpg (62.8 KB, 1 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Hello, and welcome to digitalfaq.

h264 encodes of 1920x1080 at film speeds of 24/23.976 fps have the same format parameters for both PAL and NTSC. Reworking video in something like Premiere will make it region free (what region do they use, BTW?). BluRay has specific structure requirements. The fact that the source is mp4/h.264 doesn't mean that those requirements are being met. What difficulties are you having, specifically, other than audio?

We could use more information about your source. Did you notice the message halfway down the dialog window in MediaInfo (at the arrow)?:

On MediaInfo's top menu bar, Click on "View" and choose "Text" view. From the window that displays, you can select the text of the entire report, copy to the clipboard, and paste the entire text into a forum post.

One problem might be the source audio. AAC audio can't be used for BluRay. Note also that mp4 containers are not BluRay compatible. Looks like some re-processing/resampling will have to be done.

A general summary of BluRay HD, SD, and UHD specs is here: http://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech
More detail about encoding and other requirements for standard h.264/MPEG BluRay: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533, if it helps clarify matters. The last link is rather techy stuff, but the final output for encoding/authoring has to meet those requirements.

Attached Images
File Type: png Notice.png (193.3 KB, 24 downloads)

Last edited by sanlyn; 04-15-2016 at 09:49 AM.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-24-2016)
04-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Free Member

Thanks so much for the great information. I've attached a screenshot of the text for MediaInfo and the audio is AAC, so I'm wondering is this is the reason I am unable to get the audio/video to sync up. Also, I believe the BluRays will be played in North America, but they may send some back to India, I'm just not sure. I forgot after export from Premiere that they are region free.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TextHDPAL.jpg (50.6 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg PALHDMediaInfo.jpg (28.9 KB, 3 downloads)
04-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Thanks. Those images are hard to read, and blurred by JPG compression.

It's clear that the frame rate of the video is 23.976 fps -- slowed from the original 25fps from which the video was taken, but 23.976 is normal for film. This rate change is pretty common with PAL encoded from film sources. But the frame rate of the audio is stated as 46.875 fps. That's really odd. The encode used a max bitrate which is lower than the target bitrate, I have no idea how the creator got away with that one! In any case the bitrates are absurdly low quality for full HD frames. But I suppose you can see that by watching the video.

The video will have to be re-encoded anyway to BluRay spec. The GOP size in the mp4 isn't stated but should be either 24 or 48 frames for BluRay. The audio also has to be re-encoded, preferably to Dolby AC3 using 16-bit at 48KHz. The audio frame rate usually isn't stated in MediaInfo, but its playback speed should match the video speed. How to rework that audio in Premiere is something another member will have to advise, as I don't use Premiere for encoding.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-24-2016)
04-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the help. I'm wondering if the frame rate for the audio is the major issue, well I'll do some fooling around and see if I can get anything to work.
04-24-2016, 11:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I'd never do any of this. It's so easy to play MP4 files on most Blu-ray players with no conversion needed. It's the one aspect of the BD technology that has made life easier, not harder.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: BayAreaSean (04-25-2016)
04-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Free Member

I agree and actually told them to just use the flash drives to play the files on the tvs and that is what they have done.

Tags
bluray, mp4 pal, pal, pal to bluray