Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Author, Make Menus, Slideshows, Burn

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Free Member

I am a photoshop rookie.
here is a shortened version of what i want to do

I have a red circle inside a blue circle with a white background behind all of this.
I want to make the white background and the red circle transparent so when i use this image as a button, the only thing you would see is the blue circle with a hole where the red circle was.
help please
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
What you want is more of an authoring issues, not so much Photoshop. Sure, you can create that image in PS, but I doubt authoring would do it exactly as you state. Authoring menus has limitations, especially if you're not using Scenarist or DVDSP1 to author.

Best I can say is you want to make a white background with a blue circle in Photoshop, save as the background bitmap image. Then make a button as a PSD with a transparent background. When the button is not selected, it is red. When the button is selected, it turns to the same shade of blue as the background.

That's as close as I could get you.

Buttons cannot be transparent when selected.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Free Member

hmmmm
maybe I gave a bad example.
Say I have a Big Yellow smiley face with black eyes and black mouth.
I want to cut the eyes and mouth out of the picture so they are transparent.
This way when I use the smiley face as a button the eyes and mouth show the background color of the menu.

another example is I have a picture of a star with photoshop and the actual picture is only the star, the background is "hatched" grey I believe, showing in photoshop it is transparent. when I put the star as a button in a menu you only see the star, the background shows as whatever the color of the menu is.
04-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
You've really just lost me. Sorry.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Free Member

i will email you 2 files when i go home to try to explain it better.
04-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Free Member

as LS mentioned it depends on what app you use to author. DVDmaestro can do something along the lines you mentioned for the sole fact that you can import your background and suppicture as 2 different images (which it then overlays in the menu). Then you can mess around with the color schemes (and transparency level) and pretty much get the result you want with some work (or very close to it)
04-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Free Member

Sounds like cookie wants a Target for a button. ? Video to play within the Smiley Face right?
When selected . You only see the face highlighted? Like an invisible button