Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-05-2023, 04:13 PM
Free Member

Greetings, they say when you want a proper answer to a question - ask those in the know!
So I've come to ask how I might test my PanasonicGP KR-222 digital camera for functionality. All I have is the manual, power supply and an S-Video cable. And I'm wondering if I need some sort of video amp or other equipment to test the camera for functionality. I know electronics a bit but nothing about video cameras, so I'm hoping someone can clue me in on this one. I was going to post a link to the manual but wasn't sure if that was ok. Manuals for this camera are readily available online free for viewing and download. Hopefully someone can guide me in the right directions.
Thanks much,
Mark

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (55.3 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (204.9 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (145.5 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (141.3 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (138.7 KB, 5 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-06-2023, 09:05 AM
Free Member

The Factory Service Manual is your #1 reference if your want to check it against the factory specifications and ensure it is properly adjusted. They can often be d/l from online sources and/or bought from Panasonic. It will also detail the needed equipment and supplies for alignment.

If your intent is a quick informal test for functioning you could connect the output to a TV, fire it up and check if you get a satisfactory (to you) picture and if the controls that are important to you (focus, zoom, iris, shutter, color adjustments, etc.) work as expected. Use several subjects (flowers, fruit, people) and light levels/sources, to assess image in the environments of interest to you.

Not all modern TVs have s-video inputs, some may even be missing composite video inputs. If you can try both the s-video output and the composite (the BNC connector) output, but you will need a BNC to RCA adapter.
01-06-2023, 03:41 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply and assistance. I'm pretty sure I have both S-Video and a Co-Ax cable and even a BNC to RCA adapter. The later not being something I had considered before. In my reading I was also concerned that if I used the S-Video output that there might be a need for a 75 Ohm BNC terminator on the BNC output of the camera. I have the user manual but didn't see any reference to this being the case. I'll also try to find the Service Manual and read that as well. But for now I'll try the two connection methods I can and report back. Thanks again,
Mark
01-06-2023, 05:38 PM
Free Member

The user/operating manual should show whether or not a termination is needed on unused outputs. If the AG-1970/80 VCR is any indication a termination is not needed on the unused output. And the monitor/TV set should provide the 75 ohm termination for the used output (although some monitors may have an unterminated (pass-thru) setting available). Possible signs of missing or too-low termination impedance include too excessive or too little brightness and unstable sync.
01-06-2023, 07:39 PM
Free Member

Got it. Thanks! It's been a busy day around here so I haven't gotten to it yet but may still tonight, if not, tomorrow for sure. More to follow..
01-07-2023, 08:58 PM
Free Member

Well, It's not looking good. There doesn't seem to be anything being produced by either the BNC or the S-Video outputs when connected to my shop TV that has both a Co-Ax and an ambient antenna input - which are working well themselves.
The TV switches the inputs just fine and I don't think anything is up with the TV. So I suspect it's the camera - which I got from a sale..... somewhere. So, I'm kinda stuck. If I can find a service manual I may try to poke at it a bit. It's got a decent lens on it so it may be worth trying. Thanks much for the assistance, I appreciate it greatly.
Mark
01-08-2023, 07:34 AM
Free Member

Quote:
...has both a Co-Ax and an ambient antenna input
Typical TV set analog video inputs from a VCR or camera would normally be RCA (often with yellow inner insulator) for composite video and 4-pin mini-DIN for s-video, which are the outputs of the camera. (Monitors would usually have BNC connectors rather than RCA.) Not sure what you mean by coax connector, but is sounds like it could be a Type-F connector often used for RF from CATV. If it is RCA it may be video and should be labeled as such.

RCA connectors for audio are typically red and white on TV sets.

Current production TV sets typically have HDMI connectors and may or may not have RCA or S-VIDEO video connectors.

I've observed that video gear from the 1990s often does not work if it has sat without power/use for many years. I've seen it with Canon, Sony, and Panasonic so brand is no assurance. (Probably when cheap import components without any real manufacturer QA/QC hit the market. Were any representation about condition made when you bought it. If it was listed "for parts" or "as is" or "had no way to test it" it may be problematic.
01-08-2023, 04:37 PM
Free Member

Sorry for the poor description - I'm aware of the different RCA connectors as well as types of video connectors also. I used the BNC from the camera, with a BNC to RCA adapter to the composite (yellow) RCA on the the TV. The TV also has an S-Video input and with an S-Video cable from the camera to the TV there was also no output from the camera. For the life of me I can remember where I got this camera - it's been a while for sure. Chances are that there was something wrong with it initially and that's why it was being sold. I'll give it some thought - try to find a free service manual and see where it goes from there.
Thanks again for your input.
Mark