Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-14-2023, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

Hi all,

I am about to start a project to convert 30 Video8 tapes for my grandparents. The end goal is to be able to play them on a projector in a backyard theatre (small outdoor projector and screen) at night.

I have the tapes and I have a very old Video8 Camera. It has a yellow video out, a black audio out and a RFU DC Out.

I am tossing up between either purchasing a Sony Digi8 Camera that can play Video8 and using the inbuilt DV conversion and exporting via the FireWire connection OR purchasing a PCI capture card with Composite. I cannot afford a TBC.

What I don't understand is which Option Below would produce the better result

Option 1.
Video8 Tapes -> Old Video Camera (yellow composite video out, black audio out) -> PCI capture Card -> Computer (VirtualDub)

Option 2.
Video8 Tapes -> Sony Digi8 Camcorder -> FireWire DV export -> Computer

I don't have the budget to buy a TBC, unless there is a cheap workaround and I want to try avoid buying both a PCI Card and a Digi8 camera as finances are tight.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-14-2023, 12:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Buy a Hi8 cam with line TBC, these are cheap now, under $200 used in excellent condition.

Unlike VCRs, TBCs, and even capture cards, eBay is still safe for these cameras. Junk exists, but not if you shop careful. Cameras from the original owner tend to be best. But some resellers give the full kit: original battery, wires, manuals, even the camera bag. It's the old cam with "new" (Chinese KO crap) battery/wires/etc that you need to worry about. Or a bare camera, just cam and plug, always the worst.

That takes care of line, quality image/picture out (ie, not crappy quality).

For frame TBC, there are budget options. At very least, you need something weak. The mere line TBC alone does still drop, and heavy at times.

PCI not needed, a few quality USB capture cards are available.
PCI is just a comm method, like USB. Same for PCIe, AGP, ISA, Firewire, etc. Crappy cards exist on all comm.

What's a total realistic budget here?
Remember, think "new desktop computer" or "new SLR camera", not "what's for lunch".

And buy it, use it, resell it. So these are temp costs, not sunk costs.

Far too many captures look terrible on a tiny phone screen. It takes quality methods to not look unviewable on a large projected screen.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-14-2023, 05:22 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the quick response.

So recommendation is Digital8 camcorder -> TBC -> Quality USB capture card.

Which output (composite etc.) goes from the Digital8 camera to the TBC?

I am based in Australia and I think it will be hard for me to find a TBC/weak TBC. I will PM you to discuss.
06-14-2023, 06:51 AM
Free Member

Quote:
But some resellers give the full kit: original battery,...
Just be aware that the original battery for a Hi8 camcorder may have been NiCD, or NiMH, which tend to be worthless (except as paper weights) after 5-10 years so you may a new one and/or use A/C (mains) power. So be sure you get an A/C power adapter and perhaps charger as well.

Many of the older cameras could be powered from a 6-volt lead-acid gell cell battery as an alternative to the original NiCDs. (I've adapted old camcorder battery shells to connect to 6 volt battery for portable camcorder use in the past.)

Quote:
What's a total realistic budget here?
Remember, think "new desktop computer" or "new SLR camera", not "what's for lunch".
Have you been out to lunch in a decent restaurant recently? I recall one time McDonald's ads "Lunch and change for a buck."

Last edited by dpalomaki; 06-14-2023 at 07:21 AM.
06-14-2023, 11:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Correct, you won't (shouldn't!) use the battery for conversion. But the presence of the battery is what matters here, to the conversation on what to look for when buying. Old junk gear is stripped of accessories, while cared-for gear often includes everything, sometimes even the original boxes.

We rarely go out to eat, because I can cook, and tell others here what/how to cook when I cannot myself.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs