Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Free Member

I was also wondering if you had any recommendations for a video camera. I took my Sony mini-dv in for a cleaning to someone I thought was qualified and he ruined it. Is mini-dv still the preferred format or are the memorycard/harddrive cameras passing them up? I knew you would be the one to ask.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

It really depends on
  • what you're wanting to shoot
  • how much you plan to edit
  • if you need it to be in HD or not
  • budget
... that determines what camera you get.

Can I get some more details on the process?
  • What do you shoot?
  • How much editing will you be doing, and in what software? What do you consider "editing"?
  • Do you want or need this in high definition -- or is "DV quality" fine? If HD, do you understand that you'll need a very powerful modern computer?
  • How much are you wanting to spend on a new camera?
Post answers here, and I'll give my best advice for your situation.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
05-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Free Member

I am primary just shoot footage of family events. HD isn't a huge considration yet, though I wouldn't rule out getting a camera HD capable. At the moment the budget stops at around $500, so HD is probably not an option, though someone recommended the Canon HV20 which I still may yet find in that price range. I have been using Premiere Elements 2.0 but I just got a Mac and plan to learn iMovie and maybe move on to Final Cut if it's worth it. The only editing I really do with what I shoot now is very basic--just cuting out uneeded scenes, though I want to explore video editing more as I go. I was very happy with my Sony DCR-HC96. It would have been fine had it not been mishandled.

Thanks!
05-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

From what I've read, iMovie does not handle AVCHD sources at all -- such as those from HD cameras like the Canon HV20. iMovie only works well with standard definition DV footage. You'd have to use Final Cut Express, the most current version, for HD editing. I no longer have an Intel MacBook to test with.

Honestly, I'd say Premiere Elements is better than iMovie, especially comparing the current versions of each. I'm not anti-Mac at all, but I find the iLife family of products (iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, etc) to be extremely crappy software. It's basic software with a few whiz-bang silly features, but totally lacks important features for quality output.

If you're shooting HD videos, there is also the question of how you plan to distribute or even view the content. You'll need to down-scale to DVD, buy into expensive Blu-ray burning/authoring technology, or simply watch on the computer only (or a computer connected to a television). The camera was only the first step.

If you're happy with DV, and you understand the workflow, that might be a better place for you.

When it comes to DV cameras, I highly suggest the Canon DV systems, as those DiGiC processors do very well at white balance and low light situations. My favorite line is the Canon ZR series (follow link to see models currently for sale at Amazon.com), and those cameras are available for a song now, since it's "old technology" to the purist crowd. If I needed a DV camera right now, I'd look at the Canon ZR950 sold by Adorama at Amazon for all of $219 shipped free, tax-free.

Then again, if you're really wanting HD shooting, new tech, the Canon Vixia HF200 is only $599, best price. Still above the budget, however.

Whatever you do, buy online from a trusted dealer ONLY for the best price. Amazon.com is trusted, as is Adorama and B&H. Those no-name stores, especially New York or New Jersey ones, are usually scams. You can buy in a local store too, but you pay $50+ mark-up for that convenience, and the salesmen love to hound you with unnecessary crap and warranties -- often lying to you in the process (Best Buy is notoriously full of idiots).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
05-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Free Member

Thank you very much for such a comprehensive reply. It is just the educated opinion I've needed. I'm glad I asked.

Theresa