Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Free Member

Hi,
I am new to the forum and looking for some help please.

I have a problem with the HDMI signal on my new dvd player:
TV:LG 42" 1080i
DVD: Brand New LG 503 1080P upscaling dvd.

dvd connected to tv via scart and HDMI(£9.99 Wharefdale from Argos)

When I change the DVD output from 570p to either 760P,1080i or 1080P, the picture on the Scart is perfect,the picture on the HDMI has lots of random flashing white pixels,like it is snowing!!

If i drop the output back to anything less than 760p,then the HDMI ouput is ok.

So do itake the cable back(which is my initial thought) or is it a setting problem?

Please help guys!!

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

My initial thought would be the same as yours -- try another HDMI cable.

Be sure that the cable is HDMI version 1.3x (the letter doesn't matter, such as 1.3a or 1.3b). It's not likely, but there is always a chance you have an older version wire, and that the newer television combined with the DVD player (Blu-ray player?) is not compatible. I forget all the intricacies of HDMI versions.

As somebody mentioned on another site, where HDMI snow was reported, "Snow patterns over HDMI is usually from signal degradation/bit errors."

Another potential problem seems silly, but needs to be mentioned: Are you sure the cable is plugged in completely, both into the television and the DVD player?

If a cable swap doesn't fix the issue, and exists with a new cable, then it's time to consider that either the television or the DVD player has a defect. The only way to test this is to try the DVD player at another tv, and try another HDMI device into the new LG tv.

Other users online have speculated that "there's some HDMI issues where the handshake with HDCP compliant HDTVs just doesn't happen." This could mean worst-case for you, where this exact TV and DVD player will never want to work well together. Something to keep in mind.

Other people experiencing this problem have opted to use HDMI/DVI adapters to connect some devices to the television, as they had chronic HDMI "snow" problems, too.

In yet other cases, this could be a firmware issue in either the television or the DVD player. Some users even reported that their "new TV" was an older model that had an outdated HDMI chipset in need of replacement.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
05-29-2009, 03:34 PM

For reference, on cable types:

Quote:
HDMI 1.0
Released December 2002.
* Single-cable digital audio/video connection with a maximum bitrate of 4.9Gbps. Supports up to 165Mpixels/sec video (1080p60Hz or UXGA) and 8-channel/192kHz/24-bit audio.

HDMI 1.1

Released May 2004.
* Added support for DVD Audio.

HDMI 1.2

Released August 2005.
* Added support for One Bit Audio, used on Super Audio CDs, up to 8 channels.
* Availability of HDMI Type A connector for PC sources.
* Ability for PC sources to use native RGB color-space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color space.
* Requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support low-voltage sources.

HDMI 1.2a
Released December 2005.
* Fully specifies Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features, command sets, and CEC compliance tests.

HDMI 1.3

Released 22 June 2006.
* Increases single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps)
* Optionally supports 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit xvYCC with Deep Color or over one billion colors, up from 24-bit sRGB or YCbCr in previous versions.
* Incorporates automatic audio syncing (lip sync) capability.
* Supports output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams for external decoding by AV receivers.[9] TrueHD and DTS-HD are lossless audio codec formats used on HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs. If the disc player can decode these streams into uncompressed audio, then HDMI 1.3 is not necessary, as all versions of HDMI can transport uncompressed audio.
* Availability of a new mini connector for devices such as camcorders.[10]
* The Sony PlayStation 3 is the first product available on consumer market with HDMI 1.3.[11]
* Epson has released the EMP-TW1000 as the first display supporting 30-bit deep color.[12]

HDMI 1.3a

Released 10 November 2006.
* Cable and Sink modifications for Type C
* Source termination recommendation
* Removed undershoot and maximum rise/fall time limits.
* CEC capacitance limits changed
* RGB video quantization range clarification
* CEC commands for timer control brought back in an altered form, audio control commands added.
* Concurrently released compliance test specification included.
NOTE: This information originally appeared in a post on AVSForum, though I don't have a link (came second-hand from another site online). In all likelihood, it originally came from yet another website or documentation before that, too. In our "age of information" we seem to have forgotten how to properly attribute content like all of our high school and college English teachers tried to teach us! (Hoping that they still teach these skills in the 21st century!)

05-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Free Member

Thanks.One thing i have noticed is that the display and tv output settings are always 576p or i ,irrespective of what i change.I can't find out how to change it( i can only change it form 4:3/16.9 and letterbox and panscan,no ther options that i can find!!! Not that may have anything to do with it!!
05-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Free Member

The manual for the DVD player states that it must have 1.2a or above.I have no idea what the cable i have is,so will go and buy a 1.3,just on the off chance it is that.
05-29-2009, 06:00 PM

I've never tried to change the resolution on my television -- it might not even be an option. It upscales everything to 1080i or 1080p. (Or maybe it's just 1080p -- I'd have to dig out the novel that came with it, re-read.) In the display, it tells me what the incoming source quality is, but it upscales all of it. It's one reason I don't even bother with an upscaling DVD player, as the television does better at it.

For that exact issue, you'd want to hook up with fellow owners of that exact set, as well as read the instruction manual from cover to cover (boring, but often required these days, to operate everything properly).

Is it related? I don't know ... I'd still hunt down a better cable first, and see if that helps. If not, then troubleshoot by testing the DVD player on a HDTV owned by a friend or family member -- and then maybe try another device (maybe also borrowed from friend or family member) on your television. Process of elimination, see which device is at fault.

05-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Free Member

Sorted.New cable.Thanks.