Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply to my question ! Have you modified this equipment at all by using any other type of firmware such as WDLXTV – enhanced WDTV firmware (http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv/) ? The main complaint that I hear about this unit is the GUI. I know this is trivial, but I really like the look of XBMC ! Would you happen to be running your WD TV wireless or wired ? If wireless, what wireless adapter do you use and how well is it working for you ?

Thanks for your time !
No, I'm not using any modified firmware on the WDTV. It's stocked firmware as far as I know. (I bought it used from the first owner, and I highly doubt he did any custom work to it. Had he done so, he surely would have mentioned it. I've known him for a long time.)

Honestly, anybody that has trouble operating this GUI has got to be electronically handicapped. The person(s) complaining about the GUI on the WDTV are probably the same person(s) who would have trouble setting the clock on a VCR. Or in layman's terms, an idiot. Sorry if that seems harsh, but I'm tired of people who get confused by the easiest of operations (toasters, ovens, washing machines). Good grief, read a manual.

Don't let some asinine comment/review dissuade you from getting yourself one of these awesome media players.

I do not have it networked, using added wireless cards, etc. (Although I wonder what it might do if I plugged in my wireless USB stick? Probably nothing.)

I don't even use a hard drive with it. I put what I want to watch onto one of my 4GB USB sticks. That's all. Easy.

I suggest getting one of these WDTV's:
And then get yourself a good* USB stick:

* Read these recent comments in this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...2104#post12104
"Good" is described as a USB stick that is easy to plug in, from a trusted manufacturer and brand.

I have an XBOX, and I have it hacked. I did it specifically because I also liked XBMC, as well as the ability to increase game load times by dumping the games to the internal hard drive. (I dropped in a larger hard drive, too!)

I don't really miss XBMC. I find the WDTV easier to navigate, less menus. The WDTV is also silent, unlike the near-vaccum cleaner WHOOSHING that the XBOX makes. (Stupid modern noisy video game systems.)

As far as I can tell, the hacked firmware is mostly for adding Linux support. I really don't see the point in it.

Thanks!

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors